Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

4 of us TCO's have no end dates on our contracts, whereas 4 that had started after us do. Wonder why that is?

Were you told an end date when they rang you first? Still waiting for my contract in post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

I can't recall that tbh, one of the girls that also has an open end contract was verbally given an end date but she can't remember it either ! :P

I can't recall that tbh, one of the girls that also has an open end contract was verbally given an end date but she can't remember it either ! :P

I was but would be nice if the contract dates were open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Statutory entitlement is all well and good, but you need an employer who will facilitate you in taking it. The PS is much more accommodating in this regard, generally speaking!

Again it depends on which area of the public service.

My wife works as a nurse and has been told informally not to even apply for parental leave as they're short staffed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

bulmersgal wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I'm on lookout for job after getting a first in my accounting and finance degree. Would like a job that is mainly 9-5 as it's just me and my daughter so I don't want to be working mad hours in a job and missing out seeing my daughter as she's only 4.

Go for it. Your kid won't be small forever.

You can always keep your options open for higher grade positions if they come up in the future.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Statutory entitlement is all well and good, but you need an employer who will facilitate you in taking it. The PS is much more accommodating in this regard, generally speaking!

By law your employer can only refuse parental leave twice. The third time it is applied for it must be accepted by the employer. I agree with you though the PS/cs would often be easier to deal with than other employers in this respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

boobar wrote: »
    Again it depends on which area of the public service.

My wife works as a nurse and has been told informally not to even apply for parental leave as they're short staffed.

Yes. The conception that staff friendly hr initiatives are easily agreed on in the PS is not really the case these days. Managers won't let staff take career breaks or shorter working year etc etc in many cases as most offices are under major staffing pressure.

All the same, the law is the law, and your friend must be allowed to take parental leave on her third attempt to find suitable dates with management.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rorster_123

My boss started her career in the civil service as a CO straight out of college as a stopgap to pay the bills, and she was a PO by the age of 30. There'll be plenty of opportunities for people who come into the service as CO's from this competition; you only need to look at the demographic of the civil service to see that...

Not exactly possible. CO to EO to HEO to AP to PO in less than 10 years. You are talking rubbish.You have to be out of probation before you can apply for the next grade and competitions are rare these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

^ Finance and Revenue were recruiting graduate HEOs in the late 90s. Most left to find better private sector jobs. Any who stayed could easily have jumped the two grades required for PO in 8 years.
    Those two facts were related at some idiotic borefest union meeting in the Gresham by John Leamy (Asst. Secretary Revenue back in 2002).
    My own experience when I resigned from Revenue was that the PO dealing with my paperwork in the castle wasn't much older than me. I'd have clocked her as back then at 35 max.

^ Finance and Revenue were recruiting graduate HEOs in the late 90s. Most left to find better private sector jobs. Any who stayed could easily have jumped the two grades required for PO in 8 years.
    Those two facts were related at some idiotic borefest union meeting in the Gresham by John Leamy (Asst. Secretary Revenue back in 2002).
    My own experience when I resigned from Revenue was that the PO dealing with my paperwork in the castle wasn't much older than me. I'd have clocked her as back then at 35 max.

Yeah but if you read his post its from CO not HEO. Big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Not exactly possible. CO to EO to HEO to AP to PO in less than 10 years. You are talking rubbish.You have to be out of probation before you can apply for the next grade and competitions are rare these days.

CO to AO to AP to PO. Doable in less than 10 years.

(If you want you can PM me and I'll give you a name.)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not sure to select if I live in Dublin or not? I live in Leixlip, and thus Dublin is in my back yard, but at the same time I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

Can someone recommend what counties have the largest cluster of computers & servers, apart from Dublin? Will hopefully go into the IT tech support side, and thus want to apply for counties where I'll have a decent chance of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'd imagine be Dublin would have the most as most of those departments the Headquarters are in Dublin. Kildare, Meath, or Louth might be an option? Kildare might suit you? Its hard to decide when there is the option of three regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

the_syco wrote: »
    Not sure to select if I live in Dublin or not? I live in Leixlip, and thus Dublin is in my back yard, but at the same time I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

Can someone recommend what counties have the largest cluster of computers & servers, apart from Dublin? Will hopefully go into the IT tech support side, and thus want to apply for counties where I'll have a decent chance of this.

Do you have an option to apply for the IT Tech Support Side. Usually in these competitions if successful you just get placed where there is a vacccany.

IT used to be a seperate exam (CO Programmer, CO Operator and EO Analyst). These posts were restricted to serving civil servants. Generally you would not be assigned to IT from an open CO exam in the Civil Service but this may not be the case in the HSE and Councils.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

IT used to be a seperate exam (CO Programmer, CO Operator and EO Analyst). These posts were restricted to serving civil servants. Generally you would not be assigned to IT from an open CO exam in the Civil Service but this may not be the case in the HSE and Councils.

You can always ask. You most likely be assigned to a general service area initally , but if you keep asking you could move after maybe a year or 2.
    At least thats happened where I work , its one of the bigger depts mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Yeah that is how I got to work in IT within the Civil Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭number13

I persume the competition will be fierce. Anyone have a link for stage one of the recruitment? 21k is not great money but it is a secure job and wages do go up yearly. I done my degree part time while working full time and I would be taking a pay cut if sucessful but im cross that bridge if I come ti it. A previous poster stated that monthly he earns about 1500 per month that about 375 a month ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭McSween

number13 wrote: »
    I persume the competition will be fierce. Anyone have a link for stage one of the recruitment? 21k is not great money but it is a secure job and wages do go up yearly. I done my degree part time while working full time and I would be taking a pay cut if sucessful but im cross that bridge if I come ti it. A previous poster stated that monthly he earns about 1500 per month that about 375 a month ????

Around 379 yeah. But it seems you get 409 if you have worked in civil service before. My contract says 409.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Naggins

redout wrote: »
    If you mean the AO positions then there was already a few of them competitions at the end of last year (first recruitment in several years) so no guarantee there will be more anytime soon. Not all of them people have been put in jobs yet afaik.

General query, what are the AO streams other than Law and Economics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

There was a HR one as well I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,943 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Best of luck to everyone applying.

I'm older and bolder now, and just want to say that I am a lifer in the CS.

I started way back as a CO with LC only. University was only a dream for the working class back then!

I then got EO, then HEO, and am now AP1.

I could apply for PO but I've decided to retire early and live the dream.

It was a fantastic career. It could not be faulted, despite all the anti PS bashing that goes on. My Department funded my night degree in UCD, and various other courses through the years.

So go for it. It might take a while to progress up the ranks, but sooner or later recruitment and promotions will pick up.

There will be lots of retirements come June 2015 when the grace period for the Haddington Road Agreement expires. And there are lots of people like me taking early retirement too.

In some ways I wish I was starting out again. It was a great adventure, and I learned such a lot. Ah here...I'm getting misty eyed now!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

Beware that this competition is to fill PASO 3 places in various prisons around the country too. This is arguably the worst entry level job there is (or ever was) in the public service and you'll be doing it for far less money than those who went before you. You have been warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

weadick wrote: »
    Beware that this competition is to fill PASO 3 places in various prisons around the country too. This is arguably the worst entry level job there is (or ever was) in the public service and you'll be doing it for far less money than those who went before you. You have been warned.

It's not just to fill those jobs though, and people can find out about a particular job when they're offered it and say no thanks if they don't want it!

The aplication states Dept of Expenditure & Reform?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Sorry but the PASO grades are not linked to General Service grades in the Civil Service. If they want to fill PASO slots then they will run a PASO competition.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Revenue on John's Road is a large data centre now, on your bus route and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

What makes it the worst entry level job there is (in your opinion)?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Put through the application form this morning for this - any idea how many places they plan to fill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Sorry but the PASO grades are not linked to General Service grades in the Civil Service. If they want to fill PASO slots then they will run a PASO competition.

Did you read the information booklet? It says clearly that the competition is for PASO's also.

This competition is to fill places in the civil and public service, not just civil service.

Advertisement