Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AshF22

The maths was a bit harder, the verbal part ( true, false, cannot say) was easier, the error checking was about the same.

Thanks a mill! Its the maths part im dreading I think thats where il suffer with it im brutal with percentages and fractions!! Practice practice practice between now and then! Best of luck with yours you've done all you can now its a waiting game for you wish you best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Is your maths score included in your final ( ranking ) score ?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

How long did the exam take overall? I'm in at 8.45am and I've got places to be. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Done it yesterday myself
    Found it pretty much the same as the previous one online.

Fingers crossed now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Did the tests yesterday. Found them pretty much the same level as the examples we were given with our results.

Bring a cardigan or jacket - they had the A/C on for the first hour and my fingers were going numb!

The maths were fine, the questions are relatively easy, it's just doing them in the time limit is difficult. I didn't get to attempt 3 of the questions and didn't even have time to randomnly select an answer before the screen shut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

InReality wrote: »
    Is your maths score included in your final ( ranking ) score ?

All marks are included. If you don't meet the standard in one of the three then you don't get through to the next stage.

I did the tests today. I found the verbal and error checking fine but the maths were tough-ish. Maths is not my forte. One question had me completely bewildered I had to skip it and when I went back to it I just guessed as I hadn't a clue! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 49 keowny8

bnagrrl wrote: »
    All marks are included. If you don't meet the standard in one of the three then you don't get through to the next stage.

I did the tests today. I found the verbal and error checking fine but the maths were tough-ish. Maths is not my forte. One question had me completely bewildered I had to skip it and when I went back to it I just guessed as I hadn't a clue! :o

Did they say anything on how the scoring goes? Is your score in the supervised tests added to the one you got in the online or is it a stand alone score?

keowny8 wrote: »
    Did they say anything on how the scoring goes? Is your score in the supervised tests added to the one you got in the online or is it a stand alone score?

It's a stand alone score. We're all starting from scratch again in these supervised texts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

keowny8 wrote: »

The supervised tests are Stage 2- and your score on them is your new score, and is wholly independent of your Stage 1 score (with the exception of- if it differs by more than 15% from your Stage 1 score (or whatever cutoff they decide)- your application is dropped. Its a mechanism to exclude anyone who cheated on the Stage 1 tests.

So- Stage 1 is history. Your place is now determined on how you do in Stage 2- which will then determine your order of interview- which in turn will determine your final panel place.

Each stage- is a stepping stone to the next stage- which in the end places you on the recruitment panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

The supervised tests are Stage 2- and your score on them is your new score, and is wholly independent of your Stage 1 score (with the exception of- if it differs by more than 15% from your Stage 1 score (or whatever cutoff they decide)- your application is dropped. Its a mechanism to exclude anyone who cheated on the Stage 1 tests.

So- Stage 1 is history. Your place is now determined on how you do in Stage 2- which will then determine your order of interview- which in turn will determine your final panel place.

Each stage- is a stepping stone to the next stage- which in the end places you on the recruitment panel.

From what I can gather these supervised tests are not the Saville tests used in stage 1 but are the PAS own tests. How can they mark people down if there is a difference when these are two different tests? They aren't even comparing even comparing like with like. I know they can do what they like but it's ridiculous if they do actually eliminate people on that basis.

• Advertisement

They need some basis for eliminating people- and regardless of what they do- some legitimate, genuine people- who would make excellent employees- will have their applications terminated. No- its not fair. It doesn't matter what mechanism they use though- people who should get through- will get nuked- and some completely unsuitable candidates- will progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭eroc79

How many are attending each session and how many sessions in a day? Just curious.

Divisadero wrote: »
    From what I can gather these supervised tests are not the Saville tests used in stage 1 but are the PAS own tests. How can they mark people down if there is a difference when these are two different tests? They aren't even comparing even comparing like with like. I know they can do what they like but it's ridiculous if they do actually eliminate people on that basis.

Are you sure they're not using Saville. Took part in one of the competitions before and they used the same company at each stage.

eroc79 wrote: »
    Are you sure they're not using Saville. Took part in one of the competitions before and they used the same company at each stage.

Ditto.
    The layout- and format- were different- but they were Saville nonetheless.
    Some of the written ones- which a lot of people presume were PAS- were also Saville.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

They need some basis for eliminating people- and regardless of what they do- some legitimate, genuine people- who would make excellent employees- will have their applications terminated. No- its not fair. It doesn't matter what mechanism they use though- people who should get through- will get nuked- and some completely unsuitable candidates- will progress.

I find that a bit of a cop out to be honest. No system will suit everybody but it can at least be fair. I think the old system was fairer. As the state recruiter the PAS should be setting the bar in equal opportunity employment. Allowing cheaters to progress at the expense of honest applicants is poor practice.

I find that a bit of a cop out to be honest. No system will suit everybody but it can at least be fair. I think the old system was fairer. As the state recruiter the PAS should be setting the bar in equal opportunity employment. Allowing cheaters to progress at the expense of honest applicants is poor practice.

It's true that some cheaters will make it through but in reality they are only keeping a few of those at the edge from progressing and it's unlikely they would have progressed much further than the next stage anyway. I don't condone cheating and I would hope they will be caught out in a supervised environment. I do believe the system is relatively fair when everything is taken into account. It's better than nepotism.

eroc79 wrote: »
    How many are attending each session and how many sessions in a day? Just curious.

There were 40 ish in my session and they seemed to have about 10 id tags left over. I'd say 50 per session is probably right with 4 sessions a day.

It would be great if there's a non-attendance rate of 20% across the rest of the groups as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Will ask the offspring who was at the session today how many 'no-shows' there were (though I don't date ask them to calculate the percentage :D).

My other offspring was a no-show at the same session, as they are tied in to further education for a couple of years. I'm guessing there may have been quite a few candidates in that category - perhaps Leaving Cert-ers who have gone on to Third Level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

These tests on the Public site seemed closer than the Saville tests, at least for the checking test. The maths were questions based on short paragraphs, with five questions per paragraph, differed markedly from both.

Maybe I did okay with the checking and the verbal was probably fine, but I am doubtful of my numerical test. Still, I thought my numerical performance in the Saville test was poor, and it was in fact sufficient.

It certainly did strike me how the Saville test had a limited resemblance to any of the tests today, while only the Public Jobs sample checking test closely matched the test today in layout and types of question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

My circumstances have changed so there's no need for me to attend my session on Wednesday. Anyone know who I can contact?

• Advertisement

My circumstances have changed so there's no need for me to attend my session on Wednesday. Anyone know who I can contact?

If you ring PAS- they can put you through to the staff who are administering the CO competition- who can take your name off the list (and offer it to another candidate).

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

How long did the process take, anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭dooey_01

Blanchguy wrote: »
    How long did the process take, anyone?

Bang on 2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bashful1

I entered the 2014 CO competition looking for the Dublin area and a region. I was not successful. I have been following this thread looking for pointers for a better outcome the next time. However I have become curious about something.

I believe the first 887 in the Dublin area are to be called to Stage 2 and will be re-ranked according to the new results. So to hypothesise: If one was at 50 in the first stage and did not do as well in the second stage they could be placed at 75 for the second stage. Conversely if performance improved they could rise in the ranks to 25 maybe.

I understand that stage 2 is not to happen for the moment if ever, in the regions. Therefore it seems that candidates that have completed stage 2 in Dublin that have applied for a region will be the potential first to be employed for a region at the expense of a person who only applied for regions and may have performed better in stage 1 but have not currently the option of doing stage 2.

Something to keep in mind for those of us who were unsuccessful this time. Personally I had intended to do only region next time but will now reconsider!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Starry12

Can I ask please, especially to any ladies, what did or what are you going to wear to stage 2? I have been out of work for a good while and have no formal/office wear and so need to buy something today on a very tight budget but dont know what to look for...

Nikki2302 wrote: »
    Can I ask please, especially to any ladies, what did or what are you going to wear to stage 2? I have been out of work for a good while and have no formal/office wear and so need to buy something today on a very tight budget but dont know what to look for...

It's just a test in front of a computer, you don't need to wear anything in particular. Most people wore jeans and jumpers/hoodies and runners. Don't go out and waste money on 'interview' type clothes (not yet anyway). Wear something layered, warm and comfortable. I wore black trousers, long sleeved t-shirt and a cardigan. Some of the lads turned up in tracksuit bottoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Starry12

Meathlass wrote: »
    It's just a test in front of a computer, you don't need to wear anything in particular. Most people wore jeans and jumpers/hoodies and runners. Don't go out and waste money on 'interview' type clothes (not yet anyway). Wear something layered, warm and comfortable. I wore black trousers, long sleeved t-shirt and a cardigan. Some of the lads turned up in tracksuit bottoms.

Thanks, you've really put my mind at ease. Hope it went well for you

bashful1 wrote: »
    I entered the 2014 CO competition looking for the Dublin area and a region. I was not successful. I have been following this thread looking for pointers for a better outcome the next time. However I have become curious about something.

I believe the first 887 in the Dublin area are to be called to Stage 2 and will be re-ranked according to the new results. So to hypothesise: If one was at 50 in the first stage and did not do as well in the second stage they could be placed at 75 for the second stage. Conversely if performance improved they could rise in the ranks to 25 maybe.

I understand that stage 2 is not to happen for the moment if ever, in the regions. Therefore it seems that candidates that have completed stage 2 in Dublin that have applied for a region will be the potential first to be employed for a region at the expense of a person who only applied for regions and may have performed better in stage 1 but have not currently the option of doing stage 2.

Something to keep in mind for those of us who were unsuccessful this time. Personally I had intended to do only region next time but will now reconsider!

I don't believe those that have completed stage 2 can be ranked in other regions until everyone else in that region have also completed stage 2

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AshF22

So frustrating only having one set of aptitude tests to practice off. Obviously once youve done it once checked where you went wrong and corrected yourself your going to remember the answer every time you re-do the test! Does anyone have any idea of any website provides simular aptitude tests? I cant remember when doing the unsupervised tests how much time we had and for how many questions? Im trying to work out how much time we had per question so im not panicking as much tomorrow for the real thing? Or does anyone who just done it remember particularly for the numerical part how many questions there was and how much time to do it? Thanks :)

• Advertisement

AshF22 wrote: »
    So frustrating only having one set of aptitude tests to practice off. Obviously once youve done it once checked where you went wrong and corrected yourself your going to remember the answer every time you re-do the test! Does anyone have any idea of any website provides simular aptitude tests? I cant remember when doing the unsupervised tests how much time we had and for how many questions? Im trying to work out how much time we had per question so im not panicking as much tomorrow for the real thing? Or does anyone who just done it remember particularly for the numerical part how many questions there was and how much time to do it? Thanks :)

There was definitely 3 questions per scenario and 5 mutiple choice answers per question.

Advertisement