Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

There's actually a serious point here - to be able to interact with others when it's appropriate, to be able to create a pleasant and friendly atmosphere, and to demonstrate empathy - they are all important skills. Particularly if prospective employees will be dealing with the public or customers (so for example, Dept of Social Protection Staff, PeoplePoint Staff, Revenue Staff, etc etc etc) - business can be helped by the staff being able to establish a positive connection with the customer. Emotional Intelligence is a marvellous asset!

That is a good point, but I imagine it is very hard to test for, something like that should be picked up at the interview stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

My understanding is that the current recruitment drive is now over and closed. When is the nest one likely to be announced? I read something about the recruitment going to take place over a period of 12-18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Catuohy89

MouseTail wrote: »
    That is a good point, but I imagine it is very hard to test for, something like that should be picked up at the interview stage.

Very true. But once again something that's very hard to test for. Unfortunately its the same with all professions someone could be. Highly intelligent but no people skills. Seen this with a number of doctors. had my tests last Friday. and felt so awkward waiting tried :making eye contact with people but didn't happen. Only two peop/e got talking and I wish I was sitting beside them. I tried striking up a conversation but got very short abrupt answers :-(

How did everyone find the tests?

I'm 9nly home from Australia visiting my sister with my baby so was severely jetlagged hoping they went as well as I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sabrinakinsella

Hi all. I was number 1146 on list for Laois/offaly/westmeath. Just wondering if anyone got called for stage 2 from this region? Won't hold my breath for a call but hoping that maybe a good chunk off that list might have been called in the first 887 in Dublin region ;) just finished tco contract on Friday with Revenue in portlaoise and seriously depressed after signing on again this morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭fangler

Just got a different job offer in Dublin so I'm out - that leaves only 886 in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Hi all. I was number 1146 on list for Laois/offaly/westmeath. Just wondering if anyone got called for stage 2 from this region? Won't hold my breath for a call but hoping that maybe a good chunk off that list might have been called in the first 887 in Dublin region ;) just finished tco contract on Friday with Revenue in portlaoise and seriously depressed after signing on again this morning :(

I would think you have no chance of getting called for stage 2. Outside of Dublin you'd want to be in the top 50 I'm guessing to have any hope of being called.

I wouldn't count on it hun. I placed 318 in Dublin but 80/50 in my other choices. They said at the tests that second round would count for all regions. So i reckon if they don't place in Dublin they'll place in there other region. Sorry :-(

Hope something comes up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Starry12

Are all the tests in Dublin finished now? I'm so curious, cant wait for the results, although I wouldn't be surprised if I have failed the numerical.

Nikki2302 wrote: »
    Are all the tests in Dublin finished now? I'm so curious, cant wait for the results, although I wouldn't be surprised if I have failed the numerical.

Yeah they finished on Friday. Results should be out end of the month or early next month.

Is there only interviews after that?

Catuohy89 wrote: »
    Yeah they finished on Friday. Results should be out end of the month or early next month.

Is there only interviews after that?

As far as I know. Stage 3 is an interview and thats the decider

• Advertisement

As far as I know. Stage 3 is an interview and thats the decider

Thanks. Hoping it all goes well.

Just reading a lot of complaints about the money on here. but a jobs a job better than being on the social!!

Just reading a lot of complaints about the money on here. but a jobs a job better than being on the social!!

I've recently become a single parent and I'd be much better off financially if I was on the social. Childcare is crippling. But I want to work

I've recently become a single parent and I'd be much better off financially if I was on the social. Childcare is crippling. But I want to work

I'm recently a single parent to my baby as well. In on one parent family and its about enough to get the two of us through the weeks. You can still claim when working for support obviously you'd get a lot less depending on your income. In back in my parents and want to move out but impossible on what we get each week.

I'm lucky I'd only have to out him in 2 days a week and my parents would take him the other 3.

I'd love not to work just yet as the plan was to wait until baby was a year or so but that's out the window.

Are you on one parent? Contact your social welfare for advise .

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mariosuarez

The money starting off is poor. It's just over €21000. But it goes up every year. After a while I think the wages are too high. These jobs are relative low skilled work and to pay someone over €30,000 for basic clerical work is not a very good use if government money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

You would probably be entitled to Family Income Supplement, and the childcare subvention scheme. Many people assume they would be financially better off staying on SW, but it isn't always the case.

MouseTail wrote: »
    You would probably be entitled to Family Income Supplement, and the childcare subvention scheme. Many people assume they would be financially better off staying on SW, but it isn't always the case.

Havent heard of the childcare subvention scheme. Will look into it, thanks.
    Apologies for taking the thread off topic. Wasnt my intention!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dawn8585

confused!!

iv just been thinking about the scoring for stage 1. i got placed 33 which i'm delighted about but iv a feeling it was the assessment questionaire that brought me so high. i scored 120 when the pass mark was 20?

as stage 2 is only aptitude test, im sure i'll be pretty much on par with a lot more people?!

anyone know how this works?!

dawn8585 wrote: »
    confused!!

iv just been thinking about the scoring for stage 1. i got placed 33 which i'm delighted about but iv a feeling it was the assessment questionaire that brought me so high. i scored 120 when the pass mark was 20?

as stage 2 is only aptitude test, im sure i'll be pretty much on par with a lot more people?!

anyone know how this works?!

What were your other scores? I scored 122 in in the assessment questionaire but you placed much higher than I did so your other 3 scores must have been very good too

Was that 33 in Dublin,? What was your total score?

What were your other scores? I scored 122 in in the assessment questionaire but you placed much higher than I did so your other 3 scores must have been very good too

i scored 63, 66 and 65 in the 3 sections pf aptitude

• Advertisement

Was that 33 in Dublin,? What was your total score?

sorry place is 22! no roscommon & mayo, total was 314

dawn8585 wrote: »
    i scored 63, 66 and 65 in the 3 sections pf aptitude

I'd imagine based on these scores that you will do really well at stage 2. They're very good numbers ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

Round 3 here we go! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭kg703

Did u get your round 2 results?

jimba wrote: »

Have you heard something back?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭CBGirl

jimba wrote: »

When are the interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

Have you heard something back?

Nope. I'm just an optimist.

#DyingtoHear

Awh. Thought you had news :(

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭kg703

Jaysus you had me refreshing the messages page like a lunatic hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 treacyf3

Anyone have any idea how many people get through to the interview stage for Dublin? Just got my results!

Advertisement