Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭butterly.john

I rang the PAS earlier, they said that the interviews are taking place over the next three weeks for all who got called to the interview stage. I did not get the mail about the Airport, I presume those jobs must have an immediate demand for staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

Within three weeks!

They are not hanging around with this campaign.

Guess I should check if my suit still fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Beginner to this

Anyone here from Limerick called for stage 2 yet?

I applied for Limerick/Tipp and nothing yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

I rang the PAS earlier, they said that the interviews are taking place over the next three weeks for all who got called to the interview stage. I did not get the mail about the Airport, I presume those jobs must have an immediate demand for staff.

Three weeks that is brilliant, will be great to not spend a long time waiting and stressing lol thanks for that info. Sounds like they'll be wanting to start some successful candidates on pretty quickly too which is excellent.

Good luck everyone at interview (and me)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Catuohy89

donna35 wrote: »
    Three weeks that is brilliant, will be great to not spend a long time waiting and stressing lol thanks for that info. Sounds like they'll be wanting to start some successful candidates on pretty quickly too which is excellent.

Good luck everyone at interview (and me)
    Does anyone know how to prepare for the interview. Any job I've gotten has been with managers who've moved location ad taken me. I'm bricking it. :-(
    I did the an post campaign too and just got called for an interview too.
    Any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Catuohy89 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to prepare for the interview. Any job I've gotten has been with managers who've moved location ad taken me. I'm bricking it. :-(
    Any advice?

There's a huge amount of advice online so that's your first port of call.

I always have examples of team-working, leadership, crises/problems that were resolved prepared.

Be able to say why you want the job and succiently summarise your previous experience.

Strengths, weaknesses - all the usual ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Phantasos

Any advice?

Dress smart, know your CV and what you achieved in previous roles, have specific examples of interpersonal/communication/teamworking/etc. skills that you can use on the day. Have examples of how you positively contributed to workplaces in the past.

Above all, try not to stress. Take your time talking and try to smile/look positive. You've got the interview because they think you are able to do the job. All you have to do is prove you're the employee they see on paper. You'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mariosuarez

Phantasos wrote: »
    Dress smart, know your CV and what you achieved in previous roles, have specific examples of interpersonal/communication/teamworking/etc. skills that you can use on the day. Have examples of how you positively contributed to workplaces in the past.

Above all, try not to stress. Take your time talking and try to smile/look positive. You've got the interview because they think you are able to do the job. All you have to do is prove you're the employee they see on paper. You'll be grand.

Good general advice but for this particular interview they don't have our cv's. I assume they will ask in advance though. Also people have gotten through because they passed 2 aptitude tests and not because they think people can do the job. In fact there is a number jobs in different areas so the interview could be used to see where a candidate would suitable for airport, social welfare, revenue etc.

Just got a text from public jobs..... Got excited but it was just a reminder that immigration control deadline is tonight. Didn't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Catuohy89

Thanks everyone. Been a year since I've worked was on illness due to a rough pregnancy and then maternity leave. So need to remember some examples!!

Read somewhere its a bit more casual more of a chat than an interview but I'll try prepare for everything!

• Advertisement

Meathlass wrote: »
    There's a huge amount of advice online so that's your first port of call.

I always have examples of team-working, leadership, crises/problems that were resolved prepared.

Be able to say why you want the job and succiently summarise your previous experience.

Strengths, weaknesses - all the usual ones.

This ALWAYS gets me...what do we say is a weakness??

Thanks everyone. Been a year since I've worked was on illness due to a rough pregnancy and then maternity leave. So need to remember some examples!!

Read somewhere its a bit more casual more of a chat than an interview but I'll try prepare for everything!

I 'think' that the casual chat thing referred more to the temporary Summer posts. To be on the safe side I would prepare as if it's a proper formal interview and then IF it is just a casual chat well then all well and good. Much better than going in expecting casual and not being prepared xx

I usually go with wanting to oversee all aspects of the project myself and a tendancy to micro manage which is true in my case but probably not what they want to hear for a Grade III position!

I usually go with wanting to oversee all aspects of the project myself and a tendancy to micro manage which is true in my case but probably not what they want to hear for a Grade III position!

I suppose you could say that you did have a problem with that in the past but became aware of it and kept it in mind to always try to delegate where appropriate after that. So therefore showing that you did have a weakness but took steps to overcome it? x

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Naggins

Out of interest, what are the airport jobs exactly? are they with Dept. of Justice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Its defo a formal interview. It should be a competency based interview + you shouldn't be asked any of the typical questions like strengths/ weakness at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭eroc79

Wheety wrote: »
    Public Appointments now accepting applications for full time Clerical Officers (Not TCO)

http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/11792.htm
    InReality wrote: »
    Its defo a formal interview. It should be a competency based interview + you shouldn't be asked any of the typical questions like strengths/ weakness at all.

I did a competency based interview recently and they found ways of asking those questions

Naggins wrote: »
    Out of interest, what are the airport jobs exactly? are they with Dept. of Justice?

Immigration control. Gardai aren't doing it any more. Makes sense as it's a very mundane job for gardai who are paid high enough and they are better used elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

eroc79 wrote: »
    I did a competency based interview recently and they found ways of asking those questions

fair enough. they really should just ask about your examples though and mark you on those.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Immigration control. Gardai aren't doing it any more. Makes sense as it's a very mundane job for gardai who are paid high enough and they are better used elsewhere.

In all fairness to the officers- the Gardai who were fulfilling these roles were not particularly well paid- and with the run down in Garda numbers- will be far better moved into positions where they are more needed. Gardai are not particularly well paid either- despite what many people imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Phantasos

Mine is Homes Under the Hammer... god I love that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Ciaran

"a dislike of stupid interview questions" Maybe that's why I haven't done well in interviews. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭dooey_01

anyone get an interview date yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Ciaran

dooey_01 wrote: »

Not yet. Does anyone know how much notice they're likely to give?

Once in an interview, flustered and nervous, I actually said I had a weakness for chocolate. Oh how we laughed but needless to say I didn't get the job lol.

Going to practice and practice for this interview now. I really really want this job and to get off OPFA finally and provide a better future and a good example for my son.

dooey_01 wrote: »

I just came on the thread to ask the same. I keep checking my publicjobs almost obsessively and my phone and email. Hoping it will be soon, the wait is nerve-wracking.

I would imagine they're going to interview the eligible candidates for the immigration job first and hire for that. It might be a priority for them so that the Gardai can be moved back to where they are needed more and then they'll move onto the rest of us.

Does anyone know if they will allow people to serve notice in existing jobs? And if so how long would they wait?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Does anyone know if they will allow people to serve notice in existing jobs? And if so how long would they wait?

Yes- I served a month's notice when I joined the civil service- I was asked for an e-mail from HR in the company I worked for stating the period of notice- and when it commenced and elapsed. I was then told to report to (a named officer in) Personnel @ 10AM the following Monday.

Yes- I served a month's notice when I joined the civil service- I was asked for an e-mail from HR in the company I worked for stating the period of notice- and when it commenced and elapsed. I was then told to report to (a named officer in) Personnel @ 10AM the following Monday.

Thanks, I have until the end of the year left on my contract so the longer it takes them to schedule interviews etc the better for me if I'm offered something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Does anyone know what kind of references they ask for (work, personal etc) and how many references they need?

Advertisement