Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Having a degree is not a pre-requisite to be an EO- however, the vast preponderance of applicants, akin to previous competitions- will most probably be graduates. That said- at interview- they are more interested in your skills, your abilities, your ability to lend your experiences to set situations etc etc.

Being an EO is a higher level- very often its quite similar to a HEO or AO role (depending on the Department and Division you work in). As an EO- I've worked directly to the PO, and have been left for prolonged periods of time on research projects, doing presentations, special projects etc etc- you really can't tell.

Thanks for getting back to me on that. I really appreciate it. I was thinking that if it comes up, I will prob try it. I won't be expecting to get it, but I will be trying my best anyway. If nothing else, it will be giving me more experience of the tests etc. I really loved working as a TCO. It was my perfect job. So each time those competitions come up, I will keep applying:) Thanks again for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Catuohy89

I placed 297 and no interview date yet. Could it be done alphabetically?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Catuohy89 wrote: »

Pretty sure it's been done by number judging from comments on this site. I'm 216 and interview on 13th, someone else was 194 and interview is 11th.

More importantly are they going to wait until all interviews are finished before they offer positions or as they go since they're qualifying rather than competitive interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Meathlass wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's been done by number judging from comments on this site. I'm 216 and interview on 13th, someone else was 194 and interview is 11th.

More importantly are they going to wait until all interviews are finished before they offer positions or as they go since they're qualifying rather than competitive interviews?

Did they request a cv or any further information off you?

Did they request a cv or any further information off you?

Yes have to bring 3 copies of an application form, one copy of a signed health statement, another passport photo, passport/long birth cert and a photocopy of it as well.

They don't want the application in advance though so I presume they're going to glance through it as I'm introducing myself and then follow up with questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

The attachments for the interview just will not open for me! ARGH

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭eroc79

Catuohy89 wrote: »

Might be by candidate no.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭butterly.john

Has anyone done the interview yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 keowny8

With regards to the Immigration posts down the country. Do you think these will be allocated to the people who applied to that region? i.e will the Shannon ICO's be allocated from the Clare/Galway region?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭swht

keowny8 wrote: »
    With regards to the Immigration posts down the country. Do you think these will be allocated to the people who applied to that region? i.e will the Shannon ICO's be allocated from the Clare/Galway region?

From the job description, the immigration control officers are being introduced in a phased basis, in Dublin airport first gradually over 2015 and after this in other ports and airports. They may not be recruiting immediately for immigration control posts in the other airports but I would imagine it would be from people who selected these regions.

Anyone who is selected for an immigration control post in Dublin will be initially deployed to the Immigration and Naturalisation service for training and regular clerical duties while awaiting the roles in the airport being taken over from the guards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

eroc79 wrote: »
    Might be by candidate no.

No, pretty sure it's going in order of where you placed on the supervised tests - as Meathlass said. I'm 194 and interview is on Saturday 11th (eek!) and she's very early 200's and on the 13th.

The butterflies have taken up residence already lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aoiferahmana

I have an interview on Saturday which clashes with something important, but they won't let me change it without 'supporting documentation' as to why I won't be there, which isn't really possible to get for the particular thing I need to go to! Grrrr.........I desperately desperately need a job so I have to go..........thought they might be a little more accommodating - who the hell holds interviews on a Saturday anyway??!! So stressed right now!

I have an interview on Saturday which clashes with something important, but they won't let me change it without 'supporting documentation' as to why I won't be there, which isn't really possible to get for the particular thing I need to go to! Grrrr.........I desperately desperately need a job so I have to go..........thought they might be a little more accommodating - who the hell holds interviews on a Saturday anyway??!! So stressed right now!

I think it's great that they are holding interviews on a Saturday.

Is there no way you can get supporting documentation? I can understand why they won't let people change dates/times. It's a nightmare to deal with and there's some poor clerical officer sorting it all out!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I think it's great that they are holding interviews on a Saturday.

Is there no way you can get supporting documentation? I can understand why they won't let people change dates/times. It's a nightmare to deal with and there's some poor clerical officer sorting it all out!

It probably is a nightmare for the poor CO who has to try schedule everything. If you can get something into them- they will probably reschedule for you.

Ps- Publicjobs have always held interviews on Saturdays- its nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Phantasos

Can you make up a fake dentist appointment letter or something? I know that's lying and lying is wrong... but all they need is a piece of paper to prove you really can't attend. Do up something in Word, print it, squiggly signature, done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Im 298 and still no message

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Phantasos wrote: »
    Can you make up a fake dentist appointment letter or something? I know that's lying and lying is wrong... but all they need is a piece of paper to prove you really can't attend. Do up something in Word, print it, squiggly signature, done.

Er??? You're suggesting someone FAKES a medical appointment document? For an interview? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't fake it, surely whatever it is could not be as important as attending the interview if you really want the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭ciaramc

Hi,

Just wondering how did everyone get notification for the interviews/assesments? Was it by registered post?

Is the next stage interviews or group assessment tests?

Thanks.

Er??? You're suggesting someone FAKES a medical appointment document? For an interview? :rolleyes:

If they genuinely can't change their plans for a good reason and the recruiters won't give them a workaround? Well, it's better than giving up and not going. And don't be so dramatic about it, I'm not saying to fake a major surgical appointment and doctor's signature - just to stick something on a note to appease the PAS.

-

I know this has been asked before sometime, but I just wanted to check - if potential recruits have worked in the civil service before, will their increments and pay scales from previous roles be honoured? I've only ever been a temp before. Having read through the documentation, it mentions that everyone will start on the new entrant scale. I wonder, since this is a permanent position, would that mean ALL recruits would be put on the bottom of the payscale?

• Advertisement

ciaramc wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering how did everyone get notification for the interviews/assesments? Was it by registered post?

Is the next stage interviews or group assessment tests?

Thanks.

Notice for interviews came in the same way as the results and questionnaire etc, I got a text and an email letting me know there was a message on my PublicJobs board. The next stage is interviews which as far as I know is the final stage. People successful at interview will then be placed on a panel and contacted for jobs if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭ciaramc

donna35 wrote: »
    Notice for interviews came in the same way as the results and questionnaire etc, I got a text and an email letting me know there was a message on my PublicJobs board. The next stage is interviews which as far as I know is the final stage. People successful at interview will then be placed on a panel and contacted for jobs if needed.

Thanks Donna for the info.

I was just wondering as I missed signing for registered letter today, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭kg703

If they genuinely can't change their plans for a good reason and the recruiters won't give them a workaround? Well, it's better than giving up and not going. And don't be so dramatic about it, I'm not saying to fake a major surgical appointment and doctor's signature - just to stick something on a note to appease the PAS.

-

I know this has been asked before sometime, but I just wanted to check - if potential recruits have worked in the civil service before, will their increments and pay scales from previous roles be honoured? I've only ever been a temp before. Having read through the documentation, it mentions that everyone will start on the new entrant scale. I wonder, since this is a permanent position, would that mean ALL recruits would be put on the bottom of the payscale?

I have 3 years service myself so I'll be interested to find out... Will ask at interview

-

I think if you finish another civil service role immediately prior to starting this one then you get a different scale (and I think immediately prior means finishing one on a Friday and starting the new one on a Monday)

I think if you finish another civil service role immediately prior to starting this one then you get a different scale (and I think immediately prior means finishing one on a Friday and starting the new one on a Monday)

I know I kept increments after long gaps in employment (around nine months or so) with previous temp jobs. It could be completely different moving to a permanent position though. I know the increments don't amount to too much once the tax has been taken out, but every euro counts.

I know I kept increments after long gaps in employment (around nine months or so) with previous temp jobs. It could be completely different moving to a permanent position though. I know the increments don't amount to too much once the tax has been taken out, but every euro counts.

I think since Haddington Road a lot of this stuff has been tightened up. No harm asking though!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 keowny8

There was CO's taken on here in the last 3/6 months and all kept their increments.

There are TCO's here on more than them though as they would've worked here pre 2009/2010

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Does anyone know how the PS handles references in the event of a job/panel position offer, i.e, how many are asked for, can one be a character reference etc?

Thanks!

Does anyone know how the PS handles references in the event of a job/panel position offer, i.e, how many are asked for, can one be a character reference etc?

Thanks!

They ask for 3 references on the application form we are to bring to interview

This is from the actual form:
    Should a candidate come under consideration for appointment, the Public Appointments Service will conduct such enquiries as are deemed necessary, including reference checking. Please provide the names of 3 referees that we may consult, including your present employer (if applicable). We may also contact your previous employers. Your present employer will not be contacted until all other checks have been completed; we will notify you before we propose to do this.

• Advertisement

I think the first interviews may have started. Good luck to everyone who is going now.

Advertisement