Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭butterly.john

AshF22 wrote: »
    Im number 323 and have my interview the 16th! They seem to be getting through people pretty fast!!
    Cool thanks, that means they are doing about 70 per day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Cool thanks, that means they are doing about 70 per day

They must have several interview panels operating so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Meathlass wrote: »
    Can anyone who's worked as a TCO tell me how much you pay for your pension each week? I'm trying to get an idea of take home pay.

Pension levy
    From 1 May 2009, graduated pension contributions are:

First €15,000 of earnings is exempt
    5% on next €5,000 of earnings
    10% on earnings between €20,000 and €60,000
    10.5% on earnings above €60,000

So on €21000 you pay 350 pa

Plus you will also pay superannuation (pension) contributions of 3.5% of net pay and 1.5% of gross pay plus also pay 1.5% of gross pay towards spouses and children's pension scheme...

EDIT: above info incorrect...see below for correct info...

Zipppy wrote: »
    Pension levy
    From 1 May 2009, graduated pension contributions are:

First €15,000 of earnings is exempt
    5% on next €5,000 of earnings
    10% on earnings between €20,000 and €60,000
    10.5% on earnings above €60,000

So on €21000 you pay 350 pa

Plus you will also pay superannuation (pension) contributions of 3.5% of net pay and 1.5% of gross pay plus also pay 1.5% of gross pay towards spouses and children's pension scheme...

Don't suppose you can opt out of these pensions? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭swht

Pension contribution is 3% of pay (plus 3.6% on any pay above 2x the contributory state pension, won't apply to lowest paid clerical officers). This is deducted from gross pay. Pension levy doesn't apply for new entrants as we would be on the new single pension scheme. Google single pension scheme has all the info on contributions and entitlements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Don't suppose you can opt out of these pensions? :o

What do you hope to live on when you retire?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

gonzo.phd wrote: »
    Pension contribution is 3% of pay (plus 3.6% on any pay above 2x the contributory state pension, won't apply to lowest paid clerical officers). This is deducted from gross pay. Pension levy doesn't apply for new entrants as we would be on the new single pension scheme. Google single pension scheme has all the info on contributions and entitlements.

Ah apologies....my post above is incorrect.

Im an oldtimer....wasnt aware that scheme was in place...

Does pension levy not apply to new entrants?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AshF22

Quick question as im filling in the application form. Are most of you filling in the career history section where you are asked about ur main responsibilities using bullet points or are you going into detail?

No not as far as I'm aware anyway, don't think the pension is as good either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭eroc79

AshF22 wrote: »
    Quick question as im filling in the application form. Are most of you filling in the career history section where you are asked about ur main responsibilities using bullet points or are you going into detail?

Bullet points in my opinion. They don't want/have time to read your life story. You can go into detail during the interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AshF22

eroc79 wrote: »
    Bullet points in my opinion. They don't want/have time to read your life story. You can go into detail during the interview.

Thanks a mill was thinking the same!!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

Did you try cspensions-dot-gov-dot-ie ?

From that it looks like 6% of wage gets paid into pension on the 20859

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sabrinakinsella

Even while on a TCO contract you have to pay a pension levy without paying a pension! I just finished up two weeks ago on one with revenue.

Even while on a TCO contract you have to pay a pension levy without paying a pension! I just finished up two weeks ago on one with revenue.

Just doing a bit of further reading on this now and seems as well as the contributions you would also have to pay the pensions levy. If the pay is 20859 you would pay an annual contribution of 625.77 after this you would get take home of 17,873.23 after tax and deducting contributions from gross salary. If you take 335.90 for the pension levy (5000 at 5% and 859 at 10%) you are left with 17537.33 or 337.25 a week.

Previously in the thread someone mentioned that the salary has been revised to 21450. If this is the case take home pay would be 345.60. These are based on a single person with no extra tax credit entitlements such as rent relief etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Can someone email me the attachments for the interview? I don't know why, but the links just are not working for me! PM me and I will send you my email address!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

€345 take home pay a week?
    How is anyone suppossed to survive on that?
    After rent and bills, you'd be lucky to have €200 left to cover food, clothes, a social life and everything else.
    There should be weighted payments for working in the capital.
    Can someone explain rent relief to me?
    Also, can you request that your pension payments be frozen in a time where you cannot afford it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭butterly.john

jimba wrote: »
    After rent and bills, you'd be lucky to have €200 left to cover food, clothes, a social life and everything else.
    Also, can you request that your pension payments be frozen in a time where you cannot afford it?

If you are talking about tax relief for rent paid then i think this relief is only available if you were renting prior to December 2010. The relief was abolished in one of the budgets for new applicants after this date.

What do you hope to live on when you retire?

Well on 20,000 gross a year, I'm more concerned about living now.

If you are talking about tax relief for rent paid then i think this relief is only available if you were renting prior to December 2010. The relief was abolished in one of the budgets for new applicants after this date.

That's correct. The rent relief tax is closed to new entrants and it's also being phased out entirely.

Anyone else getting REALLY nervous?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Catuohy89

jimba wrote: »
    Are you serious? This is what most people live on. I live on 200eur a week for me and my 7 month old. I put money away for luxuries. 345 would be plenty. Better than not having a job!! It's very doable!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭dooey_01

Catuohy89 wrote: »
    Are you serious? This is what most people live on. I live on 200eur a week for me and my 7 month old. I put money away for luxuries. 345 would be plenty. Better than not having a job!! It's very doable!!

You're obviously not living in the real world! Are you paying fair market rent? Covering your own medical bills? Transport? Heat? Electricity? Broadband? Waste? Insurance? Water charges? I could go on but you are looking at a minimum of €800 rent per month for a dump in Dublin! 345 is by NO means "very doable" but you are right in the fact it's better than no job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

dooey_01 wrote: »
    You're obviously not living in the real world! Are you paying fair market rent? Covering your own medical bills? Transport? Heat? Electricity? Broadband? Waste? Insurance? Water charges? I could go on but you are looking at a minimum of €800 rent per month for a dump in Dublin! 345 is by NO means "very doable" but you are right in the fact it's better than no job.

If you struggle to live off 200 a week after you pay rent and bills....You may learn how to budget your money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭dooey_01

If you struggle to live off 200 a week after you pay rent and bills....You may learn how to budget your money!

200 disposable would be great, but not likely on 345 net pw

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Phantasos

I don't think anyone was talking about struggling on €200 disposable income - but realistically you wouldn't have that type of leftover money after you pay rent/bills/groceries/car expenses/miscellaneous stuff out of €340.

There's also the issue of short-term versus long-term prospects. You'd be struggling to collect your 20% mortgage deposit on those wages, even with the tiny increments. Never mind if you're a single person like myself.

Don't forget that with a child you should be eligible for FIS which could be another nearly 100 a week xx

donna35 wrote: »
    Don't forget that with a child you should be eligible for FIS which could be another nearly 100 a week xx

Thank you but I'm currently on one parent family so don't think I'm eligible.

I think it is possible to live off 345 a week. Your right! Right now I don't live in the real world because things fell apart for me recently but I have lived in the real world before all this and before I had my baby and I did fine up paying rent, bills and having an active social life!! It's all about how you spend your money.

You right it would be very hard to save up for a house deposit and the larger luxuries in life on this type of wage on your own so maybe this type of job isn't for you.

Personally I want the job to be able to have that bit more money than I currently do but I don't plan on staying at a job at this level. I am going to do night course and work my ass off in hope that some day I can have a higher paying job. But everyone has to start somewhere :-)

ANYWAY....... How's everyone feeling about the interviews. I like how they give you information so you know how to properly prepare. I just had an interview with an post and hadn't a clue what I was in for they literally just told you the time and place. Luckily I prepared for most scenarios and I think I did OK. So fingers crossed I get a job somehow :-)

I just had an interview with an post and hadn't a clue what I was in for they literally just told you the time and place. Luckily I prepared for most scenarios and I think I did OK. So fingers crossed I get a job somehow :-)

Out of interest what kind of questions did they ask you in the An Post interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Thank you but I'm currently on one parent family so don't think I'm eligible.

I think it is possible to live off 345 a week. Your right! Right now I don't live in the real world because things fell apart for me recently but I have lived in the real world before all this and before I had my baby and I did fine up paying rent, bills and having an active social life!! It's all about how you spend your money.

You right it would be very hard to save up for a house deposit and the larger luxuries in life on this type of wage on your own so maybe this type of job isn't for you.

Personally I want the job to be able to have that bit more money than I currently do but I don't plan on staying at a job at this level. I am going to do night course and work my ass off in hope that some day I can have a higher paying job. But everyone has to start somewhere :-)

ANYWAY....... How's everyone feeling about the interviews. I like how they give you information so you know how to properly prepare. I just had an interview with an post and hadn't a clue what I was in for they literally just told you the time and place. Luckily I prepared for most scenarios and I think I did OK. So fingers crossed I get a job somehow :-)

Just so you know you will be entitled to fis once your income is under I think 501 and you have 1 child. If you have more then one it will be more than 500

• Advertisement

Out of interest what kind of questions did they ask you in the An Post interview?

They basically had a list of questions to ask me and had my CV I had sent in.

To start they explained the role and asked me what I knew about an post and what skills I thought would be important for the job.

They took in turns and had different topics to discuss. I think it was communication, customer service, teamwork, Initiative (and something) and IT skills.

So they asked me questions on each topic what I thought was good communication/ customer service. Why initiative was important. What good teamwork consisted of.

Then they asked to give examples of times I've shown each of them in my previous experience.

They asked a time I personally had received good/bad customer service.

Then the dreaded questions good and bad qualities.

With the IT skills they asked what kind of experience I had and how comfortable I was with computers.

They wanted to see how well I was with interacting with people (they didn't say it but I could tell) They asked questions at the start how are you today with a bit of a pause? And then before I left whats your plans for the day. I assumed that's what they were doing as this isn't the kind of question you could prepare for. That or I was reading too much into it.

Advertisement