Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Catuohy89 wrote: »
    They basically had a list of questions to ask me and had my CV I had sent in.

To start they explained the role and asked me what I knew about an post and what skills I thought would be important for the job.

They took in turns and had different topics to discuss. I think it was communication, customer service, teamwork, Initiative (and something) and IT skills.

So they asked me questions on each topic what I thought was good communication/ customer service. Why initiative was important. What good teamwork consisted of.

Then they asked to give examples of times I've shown each of them in my previous experience.

They asked a time I personally had received good/bad customer service.

Then the dreaded questions good and bad qualities.

With the IT skills they asked what kind of experience I had and how comfortable I was with computers.

They wanted to see how well I was with interacting with people (they didn't say it but I could tell) They asked questions at the start how are you today with a bit of a pause? And then before I left whats your plans for the day. I assumed that's what they were doing as this isn't the kind of question you could prepare for. That or I was reading too much into it.

Thanks for that.

The opening questions about your day are to make you feel comfortable as well. Any interview I've had they've always asked about the weather and the drive to the venue :rolleyes:

Yeah interaction with customers/clients/colleagues is so important. The amount of people who stare at the shoes and mumble "em, ok" when asked how they are is unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭CBGirl

Have the interviews started yet or is tomorrow the first day?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Catuohy89

Meathlass wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

The opening questions about your day are to make you feel comfortable as well. Any interview I've had they've always asked about the weather and the drive to the venue :rolleyes:

Yeah interaction with customers/clients/colleagues is so important. The amount of people who stare at the shoes and mumble "em, ok" when asked how they are is unreal!

I think the most important thing is to keep talking. Obviously don't interrupt but try get as much information in as possible on the topic your asked on. The silences are the WORST!!!

Hoping to be much more prepared for this as an post is only temporary work but I only placed 297 so don't think I'd be getting a job any time soon even if I did get through the interview stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

Catuohy89 wrote: »
    Thank you but I'm currently on one parent family so don't think I'm eligible.

I think it is possible to live off 345 a week. Your right! Right now I don't live in the real world because things fell apart for me recently but I have lived in the real world before all this and before I had my baby and I did fine up paying rent, bills and having an active social life!! It's all about how you spend your money.

You right it would be very hard to save up for a house deposit and the larger luxuries in life on this type of wage on your own so maybe this type of job isn't for you.

Personally I want the job to be able to have that bit more money than I currently do but I don't plan on staying at a job at this level. I am going to do night course and work my ass off in hope that some day I can have a higher paying job. But everyone has to start somewhere :-)

ANYWAY....... How's everyone feeling about the interviews. I like how they give you information so you know how to properly prepare. I just had an interview with an post and hadn't a clue what I was in for they literally just told you the time and place. Luckily I prepared for most scenarios and I think I did OK. So fingers crossed I get a job somehow :-)

No you will definitely be eligible. You'd no longer be getting OPFP anyway as you'd be working but with it being a low starting salary you are definitely entitled to FIS. I'm not sure of the exact amount but could be between 80-100 per week and it gets paid weekly into your bank account. I think it takes a while to come through so when you are successful in the interview and get job offer definitely apply for it straight away. It gets backdated too. Plus you'll obviously have child benefit too so wouldn't be on 345 a week xx

shalalala wrote: »
    Can someone email me the attachments for the interview? I don't know why, but the links just are not working for me! PM me and I will send you my email address!

Did you manage to get these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

donna35 wrote: »
    No you will definitely be eligible. You'd no longer be getting OPFP anyway as you'd be working but with it being a low starting salary you are definitely entitled to FIS. I'm not sure of the exact amount but could be between 80-100 per week and it gets paid weekly into your bank account. I think it takes a while to come through so when you are successful in the interview and get job offer definitely apply for it straight away. It gets backdated too. Plus you'll obviously have child benefit too so wouldn't be on 345 a week xx

No she'll still be able to get opfa if your income is under 425. It's reduced payments but if you google it it shows how much you will get. Also your entitled to a extra tax credit which will help avoid some tax. So you will be better off then a single person.

Bare in mind all this could change come Tuesday with the budget

bulmersgal wrote: »
    No she'll still be able to get opfa if your income is under 425. It's reduced payments but if you google it it shows how much you will get. Also your entitled to a extra tax credit which will help avoid some tax. So you will be better off then a single person.

I thought you could only work 19 hours a week on opfa?

No I think ppl get confused a lot with this. You have to work over 19 hours to get fis but you have to earn under 425 to get a reduced opfa. I think they disregard the first 90 then half the rest and take that off your opfa.
    So if you earned 300 they take 90=210
    Divide that by 2 210/2=105.
    Then take that 105 of your allowance of 219 so you would get 114 opfa.

Then with the fis they would include your wage and opfa so 300+114=445 then minus the 501 501-445=56 and give you 60% of that so 34.

So you come out with decent enough money. Sorry I didn't do that the actual wage is. Doing the math in my head so choose easy figures

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭qwertyabcd

No its income based, as long as the gross income is under €425 she is still eligible for a reduced payment which would then be taken into account for FIS

Wow, so you could have 2 people starting after these interviews. One will come out with €300 into their hand and the other will get nearly €500 plus obviously their children's allowance.

• Advertisement

Wow, so you could have 2 people starting after these interviews. One will come out with €300 into their hand and the other will get nearly €500 plus obviously their children's allowance.

Yeah but like me they could have crèche fees of 210 a week and a extra person to feed and clothed

Yes but children are expensive little beasts lol or at least mine is xx

Just got an email from public jobs inviting me to apply for one of the immigration positions in the airport. It's attractive, tbh. Location wise it suits, the extra 25% would be nice and I'd prefer to do the 4 long shifts than 5 normal ones as it's 3 days off and less commuting expenses.

I'm wondering though about things like parking, would there be staff parking at a reduced rate? Would you be guaranteed the 3 days off in a row? Is there a fast track security queue for staff? The fact that it's 15 months probation instead of 12 is a little off putting as well.

Anyone any insights? I don't want to ring/email HR with these questions if someone else has gotten there before me.

I didn't know that, thank you for that x

Just got an email from public jobs inviting me to apply for one of the immigration positions in the airport. It's attractive, tbh. Location wise it suits, the extra 25% would be nice and I'd prefer to do the 4 long shifts than 5 normal ones as it's 3 days off and less commuting expenses.

I'm wondering though about things like parking, would there be staff parking at a reduced rate? Would you be guaranteed the 3 days off in a row? Is there a fast track security queue for staff? The fact that it's 15 months probation instead of 12 is a little off putting as well.

Anyone any insights? I don't want to ring/email HR with these questions if someone else has gotten there before me.

I got the same email this afternoon. Would be interested inknowing all the answers to your questions (plus the shopaholic in me wants to know do ICO's get discount in the duty free lol)

I'm not sure about it, will have to have a think about it as I have a 5 year oldand would ideally prefer to be home in the evenings and nights but at the same time the 3 days off is attractive as well as the 25% increase. Gah decisions decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Why shouldn't you contact HR with your questions? I mean, they are asking you to consider applying for a particular job - and your concerns are valid, and may determine whether or not you apply. They shouldn't mind anyone phoning or emailing with questions - in the long run, it may save them interviewing people who may subsequently decide they don't want to work in the airport, once they discover the full details.

Many people applying for these jobs don't come on Boards.ie, and so don't have others to ask etc. And anyway, you're depending on 'strangers' to provide you with the information, rather than getting it from the source.

Not that I actually think people on here would deliberately lie to put you off or anything - I've always been glad of the help of people on forums like this - but with something so major as considering a job opportunity, it seems to me that it's best to be sure you're getting full and correct details.

donna35 wrote: »
    I got the same email this afternoon. Would be interested inknowing all the answers to your questions (plus the shopaholic in me wants to know do ICO's get discount in the duty free lol)

I'm not sure about it, will have to have a think about it as I have a 5 year oldand would ideally prefer to be home in the evenings and nights but at the same time the 3 days off is attractive as well as the 25% increase. Gah decisions decisions

Yeah I'm in college 2 nights a week. I've only until April to get my Masters so wouldn't want to postpone these last few months. I might give them a call tomorrow and see or an email first thing in the morning.

Why shouldn't you contact HR with your questions? I mean, they are asking you to consider applying for a particular job - and your concerns are valid, and may determine whether or not you apply.

with something so major as considering a job opportunity, it seems to me that it's best to be sure you're getting full and correct details.

Yes, I'll give them a call tomorrow. I suppose I was thinking of the poor person on the other end of the phone answering the same question for the 30th time today!

Things like parking and queuing for security will determine whether I apply for a position or not. With a ten hour shift and a 2 hour commute I don't want to spend an additional 40 mins a day waiting to go through security before I can clock in.

Yes, I'll give them a call tomorrow. I suppose I was thinking of the poor person on the other end of the phone answering the same question for the 30th time today!

Things like parking and queuing for security will determine whether I apply for a position or not. With a ten hour shift and a 2 hour commute I don't want to spend an additional 40 mins a day waiting to go through security before I can clock in.

Let us know what they say please x

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭swht

They must not have had enough people put their name forward for the ICO posts if they are seeking more applicants. I put my name forward and have the interview tomorrow morning. If I haven't completely flustered myself I'll ask about this. I do know there is a big staff car park out there but don't know if there's a charge for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 nukie1978

Plenty of staff car parking in Dublin Airport— controlled access obviously, or everyone would use it, but lots of space.

I'm pretty sure it's 12 months probation for the civil service, and 3 months for the Airport itself— that is, your 3 months probation at the airport is part of your 12 months overall probation; I think the probation works both ways, so if you absolutely hate the airport, or the airport absolutely hates you, you can part ways at the end of three months. That was my reading of it, as it says the three months trial period starts when you're assigned to the airport, not when you join the department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 nukie1978

Obviously security screening is an issue for all staff working airside— just as obviously, the staff in Burger King etc aren't about to show up an hour early for work so they have time to get through security checks, and on call cabin crew just won't be able to as there would literally be a plane waiting for them to arrive before it can take off. There is separate security screening for staff, but I'm not sure exactly how that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭butterly.john

I worked in the Airport a few years ago for Aer Lingus. There is loads of staff parking and the security queue is completely different. i wouldn't let either of those put you off.

How did the interviews go?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Is this a separate competition to the this one? Can't find anything on publicjobs.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭eroc79

bnagrrl wrote: »
    Is this a separate competition to the this one? Can't find anything on publicjobs.ie

It's part of the CO competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

eroc79 wrote: »
    It's part of the CO competition.

Ah okay so after you do the interview you are asked to apply to the dept?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭swht

How did the interviews go?

If you know the competencies really well you'll be OK. I wasn't really happy with mine but I always manage to get myself sidetracked and flustered, just hoping I got enough of my points across. They said I should know before the end month. The wait is killing me already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭dooey_01

gonzo.phd wrote: »
    If you know the competencies really well you'll be OK. I wasn't really happy with mine but I always manage to get myself sidetracked and flustered, just hoping I got enough of my points across. They said I should know before the end month. The wait is killing me already.

Very same....wasn't overly happy with mine either...thoughts of having to wait another few weeks :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭eroc79

bnagrrl wrote: »
    Ah okay so after you do the interview you are asked to apply to the dept?

I think after stage 2 some people were asked if they would be interested and to apply before the interview. I've just been following the boards.

Advertisement