Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I believe I am early 200's

I found it bad. Unlike any interview I have ever had. Felt like I nearly over sold myself as I probably have more experience then the role needs and I am in a supervisory/managerial role at present so I think that nearly went against me :( Thank you so much for sending the stuff to me though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭swht

shalalala wrote: »

I found it bad. Unlike any interview I have ever had. Felt like I nearly over sold myself as I probably have more experience then the role needs and I am in a supervisory/managerial role at present so I think that nearly went against me :( Thank you so much for sending the stuff to me though :)

I feel your pain, I had similar problems with my interview. When I think back to all my examples and look at the competencies I think overall I probably said enough for them to pass me but it was very disjointed for example I had teamwork elements in the processing information part of the interview. I just hope they're feeling generous when making their decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

shalalala wrote: »

You're very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 toadlicker

gonzo.phd wrote: »
    I feel your pain, I had similar problems with my interview. When I think back to all my examples and look at the competencies I think overall I probably said enough for them to pass me but it was very disjointed for example I had teamwork elements in the processing information part of the interview. I just hope they're feeling generous when making their decision.

I had the very same issue(s) Gonzo. Not sure was it my fault or the interview style. I was kind of taken aback at the very direct nature of one of my interviewers.

I think I got a number of the competencies in but it's all a bit of a blur now.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭chopperp

If you don't mind me asking roughly what number were you in the supervised test

did you find out about the airport jobs ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

Well, I got through it in one piece - so thanks again for the advice.

I think the odds are against me making the panel, I've been out of work for some time and frankly, I was dreading the interview - but the folks there were friendly & the people doing the interview were very pleasant. So I came out feeling pretty relieved, even though I had some moments where I went blank and blathered... Ugh!

Best of luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭butterly.john

chopperp wrote: »
    did you find out about the airport jobs ?
    No, not sure if they have all been filled, does anyone else know

No, not sure if they have all been filled, does anyone else know

I doubt it I was fairly high on the panel, put my name in for ico posts, and have heard nothing back from interview yet. Whether they will offer more people to put their names in before interview or not I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

Did my interview in the last few days.
    I was happy enough overall, got my preprepared point across at nicely opportune moments. Stuttered a couple of times and one question threw me aback a little but managed well overall.
    2-3 week wait now is the killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Does anybody have an idea how long we should be waiting to hear back after the interview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

Does anybody have an idea how long we should be waiting to hear back after the interview?

The interviewers said to me, that they had been told it would be around the end of the month.

I'm thinking of it as Schrodinger's panel at the moment, for the next few weeks we're both on it and not on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

otherfrog wrote: »
    Well, I got through it in one piece - so thanks again for the advice.

I think the odds are against me making the panel, I've been out of work for some time and frankly, I was dreading the interview - but the folks there were friendly & the people doing the interview were very pleasant. So I came out feeling pretty relieved, even though I had some moments where I went blank and blathered... Ugh!

Best of luck to all.

I can't see why you wouldn't make the panel - I hope you get good news soon.

Heard that story in the news today about the surgeon being interviewed by phone - and they make clerical officer applicants go through 2 aptitude tests and an interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 citizen_bob

otherfrog wrote: »
    I'm thinking of it as Schrodinger's panel at the moment, for the next few weeks we're both on it and not on it.

Perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

The waiting for another couple of weeks is going to be an absolute nightmare now. At least we are all in it together, twiddling our thumbs and checking phone/publicjobs/email/all three every few minutes lol

Did anyone else have RTÉ news on loop up on the screen in the waiting room?
    Did little to break the tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

jimba wrote: »
    Did anyone else have RTÉ news on loop up on the screen in the waiting room?
    Did little to break the tension.

I was too busy rereading my notes to pay attention to the weather!

All I want to know is, did I pass the interview. Surely they can tell us all that straight away and update later regards the panel place etc.
    Dunno can I last another two weeks in my current job wondering if I'll be gone soon!

If you're reading this PAS, hurry up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

jimba wrote: »
    All I want to know is, did I pass the interview. Surely they can tell us all that straight away and update later regards the panel place etc.
    Dunno can I last another two weeks in my current job wondering if I'll be gone soon!

If you're reading this PAS, hurry up!

Fingers cross you hear something I was placed in the low 900 so I want them to start the next dublin drive soon lol

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Breadcrusts

Out of interest, how long was any of your application forms? I feel like I'm really overwriting in the "Outline experience, in this position, relevant to the Clerical role" sections...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,943 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I wish you all well.

In an earlier post I told how I started off at entry level, ended up AP1.

What a journey. I never thought that would happen to me! But it did.

Anyway, I have taken early retirement after a very fulfilling career. That makes room for YOU!

Best of luck everyone, it will be an amazing journey, make no mistake. And things are improving, so the ladder awaits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 aoiferahmana

So......it's a two to three week wait to know the results of the interview and to see whether we've made the panel or not. Anyone hazard a guess at how long after that they will start placing people? Straight away??!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

In the Budget it was announced that recruitment to the civil service would commence in 2015.

Some positions are straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 citizen_bob

I wish you all well.

In an earlier post I told how I started off at entry level, ended up AP1.

What a journey. I never thought that would happen to me! But it did.

Anyway, I have taken early retirement after a very fulfilling career. That makes room for YOU!

Best of luck everyone, it will be an amazing journey, make no mistake. And things are improving, so the ladder awaits!

Best of luck for the future in whatever you do...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Catuohy89

Question to anyone who done the interviews. Do they ask what you know about the civil service or the kind of work you may be doing?

Also do they ask the dreaded weaknesses question.

Sorry if I'm being rude asking. I'm really nervous and really want this job!

Catuohy89 wrote: »
    Question to anyone who done the interviews. Do they ask what you know about the civil service or the kind of work you may be doing?

Also do they ask the dreaded weaknesses question.

Sorry if I'm being rude asking. I'm really nervous and really want this job!

Well I can only speak from my experience but they focused totally on the competencies.

They wanted examples of each and in my case actually picked something out of my cv and asked me to elaborate on it.

They wanted to know how I would deal with communication problems. Would I be bored if I had to photocopy something for a few weeks? Why did I want to join the civil service?

So no, they didn't ask about weaknesses, strengths or about the civil service. For the immigration positions they asked me what in my previous experiences could I bring to the position.

They were lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Catuohy89

Meathlass wrote: »
    Well I can only speak from my experience but they focused totally on the competencies.

They wanted examples of each and in my case actually picked something out of my cv and asked me to elaborate on it.

They wanted to know how I would deal with communication problems. Would I be bored if I had to photocopy something for a few weeks? Why did I want to join the civil service?

So no, they didn't ask about weaknesses, strengths or about the civil service. For the immigration positions they asked me what in my previous experiences could I bring to the position.

They were lovely.

Thank you!!
    Most of my previous experience has been in hospitality not a lot of office work. I'm going through the competencies here and applying them to my time working in hospitality as well as the receptionist/sales job I had.
    Feel pretty stupid saying I completed work in a timely manner but saying I served up drinks for 280plus people in a small time period.
    It works great for the communication and customer service parts but not for others. I really am bricking it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭DuchessduJour

Thank you!!
    Most of my previous experience has been in hospitality not a lot of office work. I'm going through the competencies here and applying them to my time working in hospitality as well as the receptionist/sales job I had.
    Feel pretty stupid saying I completed work in a timely manner but saying I served up drinks for 280plus people in a small time period.
    It works great for the communication and customer service parts but not for others. I really am bricking it :(

Serving drinks for 280+ people in a small time period is really impressive! I think that they're looking for transferable skills more than anything else, and that shows that you can effectively manage your time and get results etc. You'll be great :)
    I always feel like a bit of an eejit preparing for interviews and linking the necessary skills and competencies to things I did in college, either as part of my degree or in my capacity as a member of committees and editorial boards. :o Can't wait for my interview to be over on Saturday!

Thank you!!

In my interview they also asked me to expand on a couple of examples I used, in one case asking about targets. In your case I would have used something about ensuring the premises was completely ready before an event was due to begin eg having everything clean and fridges stocked etc referring to time pressure and some setback or other and how you stayed calm, composed and reorganised and overcame it.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Thank you!!

You have communication/customer service/teamwork (essential in a service environment). You have examples of dealing with aggressive customers (there's always some where's there alcohol - remain calm, explain what you need them to do and call supervisor if they persist).

Delivery of results could be setting up the venue in advance and any reception work you had (returning calls promptly, sending out letters in a certain time period).

Managing processing info is your receptionist experience.

Don't forget to include any volunteer work or other things you do. They mightn't ask about them but they're there on your cv when they are looking at it later.

Advertisement