Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Catuohy89

Thank you so much for all your help!! You really are all so good! And wishing you all the best!!

One more quick question on the application form. How did you layout your relevelant experience for the role. Did you list the four competencies and tie them into your experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Catuohy89 wrote: »
    How did you layout your relevelant experience for the role. Did you list the four competencies and tie them into your experience?

I didn't but I think some people on here listed their tasks under the competencies.

In the top part (responsibilities) I put broad stuff e.g. day to day management of X. Then in the second part pertaining to a clerical officer I put e.g. logging email/telephone queries from the public, taking and distributing minutes after meetings etc.

So I put more broad items in the first box and then the actual things I did to achieve it in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

Zipppy wrote: »

What do you actually have to have a degree in to apply for this position?

SONIC2008 wrote: »
    What do you actually have to have a degree in to apply for this position?

For the civil service positions it doesn't matter what your degree is in; it just has to be a Level 8, 1st or 2nd class honours.

For the local authority positions it has to be in defined areas - communications, HR, innovation etc.

Oh right, thanks Meathlass.

Would it be a waste of time applying for the civil service positions if my degree isn't specifically related in some way to that role I wonder? My degree is Psychology, I have a MA too but also unrelated. I have a good few years work in office work (accounts and finance) and I have studied modules in stats, research, IT and communications.

• Advertisement

SONIC2008 wrote: »
    Would it be a waste of time applying for the civil service positions if my degree isn't specifically related in some way to that role I wonder? My degree is Psychology, I have a MA too but also unrelated. I have a good few years work in office work (accounts and finance) and I have studied modules in stats, research, IT and communications.

Definitely go for it. I have a BA and an MA but like you I have 10+ years of office work, supervising etc. They want the competencies and the mindset that being a graduate brings - that ability to think analytically and take in large amounts of information and make sense of it. It doesn't matter what your degree actually is in. I presume though that it's our experience after we graduate that will determine who gets past the first hurdle.

Thanks Meathlass,

Sure I'll give it a go anyway.

I like the sound of some of the roles in the CO recruitment, specifically the airport immigration positions. But unfortunately I did terrible on the tests. I actually thought I was still in the demos and was taking my time when I was completing the actual test!

Can't face doing a other damn job-bridge internship again.

Good luck with it, there's a dedicated thread for it too.

Thanks, I hadn't realised that and was asking all the same questions again. Ooops! Good Luck too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

Is anyone else replaying their interview in their heads and cringing at certain moments?
    I'm afraid I may have come across as arrogant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

jimba wrote: »
    Is anyone else replaying their interview in their heads and cringing at certain moments?

Yeah. Actually didn't get to sleep last night for quite a while because of it.

Still replaying things now, but doing my best to find distractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭swht

I've been trying to focus on winning the euromillions to distract myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 emcnamee

Does anyone know the Civil Service policy on criminal records. I'm talking about a conviction from over 20 years ago (not sexual or murder or membership). Previously this wasn't an issue as Garda vetting wasn't in place but now full disclosure is required as lying on Garda form means immediate disqualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭happydays5

Hi guys - I'm confused about something and maybe one of u may be able to enlighten me - with regard to the recruitment drive for next year announced yesterday in the budget - have the aptitude/entry tests already been conducted for this drive and interviews currently been held (please don't tell me I missed this opportunity! :-( ) or is there to be a new/another campaign advertised?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

AFAIK, the current panel is to last a year or more according to someone here.
    I guess the recruitment drive 'announced' is really nothing new. But the majority of the positions will probably be filled in 2015, thereby giving good gloss for the Gov.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭happydays5

Thanks jimba for quick reply - shame I can't believe I didn't hear about the July drive - I had done very well in previous aptitude( 2008 i think) and then there was the moratorium - that put paid to that panel - now I'll have a very long wait :-( .......pity they don't go back to anyone still interested from that panel (before moratorium)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AshF22

Interview tomorrow and the nerves have kicked in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Starry12

AshF22 wrote: »
    Interview tomorrow and the nerves have kicked in!!

Good luck today Ash. Let us know how it goes. I'm in tomorrow. Can't wait to get it over with!

Yes! I actually had a nightmare last night where the interviewer stood up as I walked into the room and put a pen through all my 'supplementary information' bit and told me it was all rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

emcnamee wrote: »
    Does anyone know the Civil Service policy on criminal records. I'm talking about a conviction from over 20 years ago (not sexual or murder or membership). Previously this wasn't an issue as Garda vetting wasn't in place but now full disclosure is required as lying on Garda form means immediate disqualification.

If there's Garda vetting they'll find out regardless. Best to be honest.

• Advertisement

Nikki2302 wrote: »
    Good luck today Ash. Let us know how it goes. I'm in tomorrow. Can't wait to get it over with!

No problem I will do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 emcnamee

If there's Garda vetting they'll find out regardless. Best to be honest.

I was honest and disclosed it. What I mean is will this exclude me automatically from panel. I was top 10 in both rounds of tests and interview went really well. Loads of relevant experience. It'd be a shame to miss out because of mistake in my teens!

Does anyone remember if we needed to attach our CV in the initial application? Also, do we include our full job history or just the relevant jobs? Mine goes back 15 years and 10 jobs, not sure if they want that much detail!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 citizen_bob

Does anyone remember if we needed to attach our CV in the initial application? Also, do we include our full job history or just the relevant jobs? Mine goes back 15 years and 10 jobs, not sure if they want that much detail!

As far as I can remember, no CV was needed.

On the form for the interview, it uses the term ''relevant'' job history at some point, but then goes on to indicate you should account for any ''gaps'' also. I took it from this that everything has to be, at least, mentioned, even if you only went into greater detail with the more relevant stuff.

Mine goes back over 20 years!

I've a similar job history to yours. I included my last 4 big jobs - that brought me back to about 2008. In the supplementary section I listed my other positions saying that the nature of short-term contact work meant they were all similar in roles to one of the jobs I'd gone into more detail in.

I also wrote a few lines explaining the time period when I was out of the country travelling and a similar amount detailing the time I was unemployed and the courses I completed during that time.

All done. 3 1/2 hours to fill it out! Worth it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Angelina Ballerina

I'm a latecomer to this thread, it's full of very helpful info, thanks!
    I had my interview this week. Lasted 30 mins, 2 interviewers, and focused on the 4 competencies. I was asked why I wanted a job in the civil service, which I wasn't expecting and blurted out some ridiculous answer.... Felt interviewers thought I might be overqualified for the roles (which I am but needs must!). They mentioned that IT systems wouldn't be up to par with my previous roles, and lots of questions about how I would cope with mundane tasks and how I would motivate myself in this situation.

Who knows how this will turn out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

have my interview tomorrow too, definitely getting nervous now, I'm terrible at selling myself.
    I have heaps of relevant experience which I hope I can get across and not just turn into a nervous stuttering wreck!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Penguin100

Just found this thread now, could have done with it before.

Had my interview this morning went ok I think.

Can anyone tell me how the panel thing works. If you are on the panel and offered a position, is it a specific position or is there a training period or anything. If I was lucky enough to be offered something, the location would be a big part of the decision for me to take it.

Hope that question makes sense!

• Advertisement

Just home was in the 2.15 group today was also about 30 mins. Was a bag of nerves! But I have to say the 2 that interviewed me were really pleasant there wasnt any trick questions fairly straightforward. I had an answer for every question so im feeling positive on that although I may have rambled on a bit and hope I didnt speak too fast I have a habit of doing that. They really try to put you at ease though! Best of luck to everyone whos done it its a waiting game now and best of luck to the rest who still have to do it! At the end of the day all you can do is your best!

Advertisement