Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭eroc79

happydays5 wrote: »
    Hi guys - I'm confused about something and maybe one of u may be able to enlighten me - with regard to the recruitment drive for next year announced yesterday in the budget - have the aptitude/entry tests already been conducted for this drive and interviews currently been held (please don't tell me I missed this opportunity! :-( ) or is there to be a new/another campaign advertised?

Think you might have missed the boat for clerical officer but the campaign for executive officer will probably be announced soon so register with public jobs to get notifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Catuohy89

Had my interview yesterday. I think it went ok. interviewers were lovely. I stumbled once or twice but I had answers and examples which they mentioned were good examples. Hope I pass it.

Although raging I'm still place 297(if everyone passes) I know I could of done better on the appitude tests but I was literally back from Australia the day before so was wrecked . Any idea how many jobs will be filled?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

eroc79 wrote: »
    Think you might have missed the boat for clerical officer but the campaign for executive officer will probably be announced soon so register with public jobs to get notifications.

AO campaign is still open, and will be until the 30th. If you have a degree, go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Starry12

Can anyone please tell me in short the difference between the public and civil service?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Nikki2302 wrote: »
    Can anyone please tell me in short the difference between the public and civil service?

Generally the civil service includes employees of government departments while the public service is nurses, gardaí, teachers, employees of universities/ITs, HSE.

• Advertisement

Meathlass wrote: »
    Generally the civil service includes employees of government departments while the public service is nurses, gardaí, teachers, employees of universities/ITs, HSE.

Thanks

All done and dusted, it went well and the interviewer that walked me out said it was a very good interview so I'm delighted. Thanks to everyone for your tips and advice!

And now the wait begins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Well done, often gone to interviews start of great then end not so great. Just want to leave...

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

The waiting is driving me crazy lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Meathlass wrote: »

The civil service also includes prison officers- but excludes those working in the Houses of the Oireachtas. Both of these struck me as strange......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

The civil service also includes prison officers- but excludes those working in the Houses of the Oireachtas. Both of these struck me as strange......

Employees of the houses of the oireactas are civil servants. Tds and senators obviously are not.

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Employees of the houses of the oireactas are civil servants. Tds and senators obviously are not.

Nope. The administrative staff are employees of the Houses of the Oireachtas, not civil servants. Its a unique designation in the Irish public sector.

Nope. The administrative staff are employees of the Houses of the Oireachtas, not civil servants. Its a unique designation in the Irish public sector.

They are civil servants as per their own website:
    The Houses of the Oireachtas Service is the office of the public service which provides administrative services to the Houses of the Oireachtas. There are approximately 378 full time equivalent civil servants of the State. The terms and conditions of their employment are set down in the general civil service statutory code together with the Staff of the Houses of the Oireachtas Act 1959 and the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission Acts, 2003, 2006 and 2009.

The Secretary General is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Service and is assisted in this regard by two Assistant Secretaries

http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/about/administration/

They are civil servants as per their own website:
    The Houses of the Oireachtas Service is the office of the public service which provides administrative services to the Houses of the Oireachtas. There are approximately 378 full time equivalent civil servants of the State. The terms and conditions of their employment are set down in the general civil service statutory code together with the Staff of the Houses of the Oireachtas Act 1959 and the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission Acts, 2003, 2006 and 2009.

The Secretary General is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Service and is assisted in this regard by two Assistant Secretaries

http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/about/administration/

They changed in 2003-2004, becoming a corporate body (akin to the HSE)- and employ all their own staff. There was a 2004 Oireachtas Act- separating them out from the civil service- and giving them their own legal standing (turning them into a legal corporate entity in its own right).

It got very little notice in the public or the media- it was however much commented on in civil service circles.

If you check out their own website- they allude to it.

edit- and have a copy of the 2004 Act etc to peruse

They changed in 2003-2004, becoming a corporate body (akin to the HSE)- and employ all their own staff. There was a 2004 Oireachtas Act- separating them out from the civil service- and giving them their own legal standing (turning them into a legal corporate entity in its own right).

It got very little notice in the public or the media- it was however much commented on in civil service circles.

If you check out their own website- they allude to it.

edit- and have a copy of the 2004 Act etc to peruse

I've perused the 2003 act and there is no evidence that the employees are not civil servants. I don't see your point about it being a corporate entity - why wouldn't it?

Wikipedia describes the oireachtas as being part of the civil service:

Civil servants in the offices of the Office of the Revenue Commissioners, Office of Public Works, Comptroller and Auditor-General, Courts Service of Ireland, Director of Public Prosecutions, Garda Síochána, Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission,[1] Legal Aid Board, Houses of the Oireachtas, Irish Naturalisation & Immigration Service, Information Commissioner and Ombudsman are all considered to be part of the Civil Service of the State. Certain other offices are also prescribed under the Civil Service of the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Has anybody been told the outcome of their interview yet? I had my interview yesterday, it was surprisingly difficult and long (45+ mins) compared to what I read here. And I say that as a veteran interviewee.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

You had an interview on a Saturday? 45 mins is a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

The wait is unbearable.

doovdela wrote: »
    You had an interview on a Saturday? 45 mins is a long time.

Mine was on a Saturday too but last week.Happened to be in town Friday and Saturday and saw a few people coming and going from their interviews. Hoping they're going to let us know this week, the waiting is killing me slowly lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

donna35 wrote: »
    Mine was on a Saturday too but last week.Happened to be in town Friday and Saturday and saw a few people coming and going from their interviews. Hoping they're going to let us know this week, the waiting is killing me slowly lol.

Ah here, I bet you went in especially to suss out the competition :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭swht

Has anybody been told the outcome of their interview yet? I had my interview yesterday, it was surprisingly difficult and long (45+ mins) compared to what I read here. And I say that as a veteran interviewee.

Mine was a little over 30 minutes, 45 sounds like hell. I found it difficult too I guess the different interview panels have different styles hopefully they try their best to pass everyone. Was interviewed on the 10th, think that was the first day and have still not heard anything. What's the latest date anyone has for interview?

jimba wrote: »
    Ah here, I bet you went in especially to suss out the competition :)

Shhhhh if you go in and see someone standing at the Luas stop staring over at PAS office, well that's not me, that's an amateur lol I'm camped on the roof of Jervis with my binoculars :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 paul 27

only 300 jobs going and it could be two year till ya get in even if your selected

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

paul 27 wrote: »
    only 300 jobs going and it could be two year till ya get in even if your selected
    Yeah just read that on the journal too. Guess I'll be keeping up the job hunt for now, only placed in the 500's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

sickle wrote: »
    Yeah just read that on the journal too. Guess I'll be keeping up the job hunt for now, only placed in the 500's.

Yeah, I'm 421. Keep in mind that not everyone interview will be put on the panel - there'll be maybe 800 interviews total in the country and about 400 will go on the panel. Roughly. I'm guessing all these figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 paul 27

I am 342 , so a chance of getting on the panel but a job in the next 6 months slim ,
    oh well

The position you're at before the interview is surely meaningless. Surely your position in the panel is based solely on the interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭DuchessduJour

The position you're at before the interview is surely meaningless. Surely your position in the panel is based solely on the interview.

My interviewer told me that performance at interview wouldn't result in a change in rank, so I'm stuck down at 444 unforch!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Phantasos

Is that 300 jobs in the whole country?

• Advertisement

Thats the way it is for EO and higher competitions- perhaps CO is dealt with in a different manner?

Advertisement