Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭swht

My interviewer told me that performance at interview wouldn't result in a change in rank, so I'm stuck down at 444 unforch!

Only if everyone above you passes quite a few people on this thread including myself were not at all happy with their interview. Plus the numbers seem to be a lot of guesswork has changed in different media reports- 600 in the indo and now 300 in the journal. I don't think they really know I'd imagine quite a lot of departments will be pushing for staff once the panel is formed.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Phantasos

Wait... so there'll be a completely fresh ranking order based solely on the interviews?

Thats the way it is for EO and higher competitions- perhaps CO is dealt with in a different manner?

Yeah according to the information sent with the invitation to interview the position is determined by the supervised aptitude tests.

Quote "Candidates will retain their relative placing achieved at Stage 2. As vacancies arise candidates will, in the normal course, come under consideration for appointment in the order of their relative placing at Stage 2."

• Registered Users Posts: 40 paul 27

gonzo.phd wrote: »
    Only if everyone above you passes quite a few people on this thread including myself were not at all happy with their interview. Plus the numbers seem to be a lot of guesswork has changed in different media reports- 600 in the indo and now 300 in the journal. I don't think they really know I'd imagine quite a lot of departments will be pushing for staff once the panel is formed.
    minister howlin press office sent out an email stating that there were 300 entry positions and 250 AO positions , so how many of those entry-level positions are co and how many are EO is up in the air

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Your relative position on the panel will remain the same but your numerical position will improve depending on the number of no shows and fails in the group ahead of you from supervised tests. You could jump from 400 to 300 based on 100 being eliminated at interview stage but you will not leapfrog those already ahead of you regardless of how well your interview went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

wexfjord wrote: »
    Your relative position on the panel will remain the same but your numerical position will improve depending on the number of no shows and fails in the group ahead of you from supervised tests. You could jump from 400 to 300 based on 100 being eliminated at interview stage but you will not leapfrog those already ahead of you regardless of how well your interview went.

I don't agree......apologies ;)

Tests get you to interview stage...performance at interview determines your ranking.
    It's the same for all public service competitions...

Zipppy wrote: »

Tests get you to interview stage...performance at interview determines your ranking.

The piece I quoted above came directly from the familiarisation material supplied prior to the interview and is fairly categorical in saying your position on any subsequent panel would be determined by your stage 2 results, once you reach qualifying standard at interview.

I wasn't expecting it to be the case but it's what we have been told by the public appointments service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

gonzo.phd wrote: »
    Yeah according to the information sent with the invitation to interview the position is determined by the supervised aptitude tests.

Quote "Candidates will retain their relative placing achieved at Stage 2. As vacancies arise candidates will, in the normal course, come under consideration for appointment in the order of their relative placing at Stage 2."

Interesting. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Zipppy wrote: »

I don't need you to agree, your opinion while based on historical practices does not reflect the facts of this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

ezra_pound wrote: »
    The position you're at before the interview is surely meaningless. Surely your position in the panel is based solely on the interview.

The info on Publicjobs says that rank does not change after interview but that some who interviewed and passed it, regardless of rank, would not automatically go on the panel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

They do apply different criteria to different competitions- and while I personally don't think its fair on anyone for the online tests to be the effective recruitment mechanism- its how they've decided to go for the CO competition.

You can be certain this is not how they will proceed for the AO and other panels- however, you have to work with, what you have to work with.

With respect of the number of potential posts- there will be significantly more CO posts (perhaps to a factor of 3 or 4 times as many) as there will be AO posts. If they are stating there will 600 recruitment grade posts in the new year- and the two panels they are talking about are the AO and CO panels- it would be probable that in excess of 550 of the 600 posts would be at CO level. If you throw an EO competition into the mix- it may take perhaps 100-150 of the posts- as a generalisation there would be between 2-3 COs for each EO- 2-3 EOs for a HEO and 2-3 HEOs for an AP (of course this will vary wildly depending on the Department and the nature of the job- but its a reasonable generalisation).

The very best of good luck to you all- I know I will be very pleased if a few of you end up as colleagues- its almost bizarre just how short staffed some Divisions are.

Best wishes to you all,

The_Conductor

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Malarkey101

I wouldnt take what is written on the journal as gospel. I had my interview on sat and asked about numbers being taken and they said the dont know yet as each department hadnt put in requests for staff yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Meathlass wrote: »
    Yes it is. The email/notes given with our interview date state that it is a qualifying interview and won't change our position on the panel.

Of course people will drop out for various reasons and some won't qualify but I wouldn't expect to move up more than 10 places.

What it says is that our 'relative' position won't change. In other words if they interview 550 people, and place 300 on the panel, if your number was was 550 it's now 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

If we go by all the media reports and take as a best estimate 450 CO jobs then how many do people think will be placed outside Dublin?

I'd rather go with my non-Dublin choices so if I'm offered something in Dublin would I need to be in the Top 3 in my other regions to have any hope of getting a position there instead?

It's quite a gamble and a hard decision when we don't have all the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Starry12

Its been a hell of a go through for a 21k clerical job where we have no clues about how many jobs there are or when or where they might be available. Its all very inconspicuous

Nikki2302 wrote: »
    Its been a hell of a go through for a 21k clerical job where we have no clues about how many jobs there are or when or where they might be available. Its all very inconspicuous

Yeah well, I need a secure job and this is the ideal role. The last company I worked for was losing €500k a year. The one before that was moving to India, and the one before that made all of us redundant. Not very secure. I'll gladly sacrifice the income for security, and we're all doing well getting to this stage out of 29000 applicants.

Yeah well, I need a secure job and this is the ideal role. The last company I worked for was losing €500k a year. The one before that was moving to India, and the one before that made all of us redundant. Not very secure. I'll gladly sacrifice the income for security, and we're all doing well getting to this stage out of 29000 applicants.

This, exactly this. I have a little boy and want security and stability for his sake more than anything. Am longing to get back to work too, have been out of work nearly 3 years. The money doesn't bother me, sure it will soon go up (not much I know but at least it's a definite to go up). A secure pensionable job like this is my dream come true.

Now if only they will just let us know NOW lol I have no fingernails left.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Starry12

Don't get me wrong, its the security that I'm after too but a few details wouldn't go a miss. Thats all!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 citizen_bob

Does anybody have any idea if the interviews are finished yet?

Does anybody have any idea if the interviews are finished yet?

They're probably finished now. I suspect last Saturday was the final day.

• Advertisement

lalalalala just waiting here lol

interviews are still not done there are 3 people in my office in the high 500`s and are still waiting for a date they rang pas and were told end of october or first few weeks in November..so we mite be waiting till they are done but i hope not waiting is killing me

paul 27 wrote: »
    interviews are still not done there are 3 people in my office in the high 500`s and are still waiting for a date they rang pas and were told end of october or first few weeks in November..so we mite be waiting till they are done but i hope not waiting is killing me

Well, at least now we know we'll be waiting for at least a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 O C 2007

Hopefully they are only interviewing those people in the 500's if some of us who have already been interviewed weren't successful or turn a place down. They definitely told me we would hear before the end of October so maybe they will offer places and if they don't reach their quota then interview more... thats what I am hoping anyway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I was interviewed on the 13th and told I would hear within 2 or 3 weeks, but probably closer to 2 weeks.

yeah was told the same mine was the 16th and they said a couple of weeks till i would hear any thing how the interview went but they couldnt give a time frame on an actual offer of a position ...i hate the waiting game game of ludo anyone?

When going for interviews, you know how people sometimes are not sure of a weakness? Well I've now discovered one of mine - inability to wait patiently lol.

I really hope they get back to us really soon, not mid November. I really don't think I can wait that long. It's like waiting for Christmas except with a nervous rather than excited feeling.

^ and the amount of 'reallys' in my post just illustrates my point LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

I keep replaying the interview in my head! Really need to find out soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

I was told end of the month to find out about the panel.
    Friday week is my bet. Even saying that, sounds so far away.

Advertisement