Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

happydays5 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if this current recruitment drive was just for dublin or for down the country also?

It was a nationwide recruitment drive. You had to select 3 counties you wanted to be considered for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭dooey_01

anyone else that applied for airport thinking twice? 2/7 weekends off...night shifts, weekend shifts, no flexitime...any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

dooey_01 wrote: »
    anyone else that applied for airport thinking twice? 2/7 weekends off...night shifts, weekend shifts, no flexitime...any opinions?

I think you can turn down the airport and still be on the CO panel ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭dooey_01

InReality wrote: »
    I think you can turn down the airport and still be on the CO panel ?

Yea? You sure? I'm thinkin is it worth it for 25% extra... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

Where did you hear this about the airport job? I personally would be ok with the working weekends as it would mean my days off would be during the week and can take my son to and from school those days myself, so for me they'd suit but I know not for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Its pretty much sitting in the booth I think. I don't know if I could do that for any amount of money ..

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭swht

Had to think long and hard before applying for it. 25% would mean a more reasonable amount of disposable income for me but the location and hours would be tough as I live the other side of the city. One of the things that swayed me was that this is a new service taking over from the guards that is going to be brought to all ports and airports eventually so hopefully there will be scope for promotion and transfer due to experience.

Will be interesting to see how they work the shifts, 4 days straight working moving the start day along 1 day each week wouldn't be too bad. But the airport can be busier on different days of the week so this might not be practical.

I didn't see anything that suggests you will be able to turn down any role and still be considered for another position.

InReality wrote: »
    Its pretty much sitting in the booth I think. I don't know if I could do that for any amount of money ..

I'd say sitting at the EU booth would be boring alright but the one for non eu arrivals would involve a bit more brain work looking over visas etc. Clerical officer is likely to be just sitting at a desk somewhere anyway. Peoplepoint doesn't sound like much fun to me either but it's all guesswork until a role is explained to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 john___2014

Can anyone tell me if there is any hope for a place in Dublin if i scored in the 500s in the exam?
    As someone said there are only 350 to 450 positions in total in Dublin.

gonzo.phd wrote: »
    Had to think long and hard before applying for it. 25% would mean a more reasonable amount of disposable income for me but the location and hours would be tough as I live the other side of the city. One of the things that swayed me was that this is a new service taking over from the guards that is going to be brought to all ports and airports eventually so hopefully there will be scope for promotion and transfer due to experience.

Will be interesting to see how they work the shifts, 4 days straight working moving the start day along 1 day each week wouldn't be too bad. But the airport can be busier on different days of the week so this might not be practical.

I didn't see anything that suggests you will be able to turn down any role and still be considered for another position.

I don't remember seeing that either, that we could turn down the airport job and take another. I know it did say that there's an extra 3 months probation on this job and that if you took it and it didn't suit you or if they didn't feel you suited that job, that they'll then move you to another part of the CS.

I'm on the other side of the city too so would have to get a car if I got the airport job, wouldn't fancy buses etc really late at night.

About it being boring, sure most jobs are repetitive, even the so-called glamorous ones. I doubt this job would be boring though as you'd be seeing such a variety of people, the booths would be kept really busy most of the time so no time to sit being bored and if we got switched between the EU and non-EU then there's the variety in that. Might even see the odd celebrity haha.

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me if there is any hope for a place in Dublin if i scored in the 500s in the exam?
    As someone said there are only 350 to 450 positions in total in Dublin.

I would imagine there could very well be. There will be some who will have accepted an offer of a job from outside the CS since the start of the process, some who may have changed their minds and others who might not have passed the interview process. So although your number may be in the 500's it might actually be a good bit higher by the time they start hiring.

I presume the airport jobs are being treated like any others i.e. if you are offered it and turn it down you will be removed from the panel for Dublin.

Shiftwork, location, 25% extra and working 4 long days instead of 5 all suited me so I applied for it. I'm in the low 200s and haven't heard anything yet.

Meathlass wrote: »
    I presume the airport jobs are being treated like any others i.e. if you are offered it and turn it down you will be removed from the panel for Dublin.

Shiftwork, location, 25% extra and working 4 long days instead of 5 all suited me so I applied for it. I'm in the low 200s and haven't heard anything yet.

I'm 194 and not heard yet either, not a word since the message saying I got through. Hope we hear soon, chomping at the bit to have a job now that I know it's on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 john___2014

donna35 wrote: »
    I would imagine there could very well be. There will be some who will have accepted an offer of a job from outside the CS since the start of the process, some who may have changed their minds and others who might not have passed the interview process. So although your number may be in the 500's it might actually be a good bit higher by the time they start hiring.

Thanks. I'd say it would be after Christmas for me though if I were to hear anything

Just had a voicemail from public appointments service, called back and they were looking for permission to contact references.

gonzo.phd wrote: »
    Just had a voicemail from public appointments service, called back and they were looking for permission to contact references.

Do you mind me asking what number you are Gonzo? I left my phone at home today :rolleyes:

Meathlass wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what number you are Gonzo? I left my phone at home today :rolleyes:

High teens, people above me have been contacted before this but I don't think anyone in for the airport in the top 70. Fingers crossed it won't be long now, I should know when at least one of my references is contacted.

About references - my most recent one is no problem, I'm friends with her on FB and let her know about the job so she is expecting the call. My other two however - one is for a company in the UK where I worked for a few months and the other was my first ever job and I've lost contact with these - will that be a problem do any of you think? Should I let them know to expect a call or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aoiferahmana

Got a phone call today asking when could I start! It will be either this Monday or next, she has to confirm later by email. That's quick!! Delighted!

Got a phone call today asking when could I start! It will be either this Monday or next, she has to confirm later by email. That's quick!! Delighted!

Congratulations! Did she tell you where it was for?

They just contacted one of my references too

• Advertisement

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aoiferahmana

gonzo.phd wrote:
    Congratulations! Did she tell you where it was for?

Peoplepoint in Clonskeagh. After all the waiting, it happens just like that! I was 119th so there must be a good few people here that were ahead of me? Did you guys hear anything yet? My reference was only contacted yesterday so they're moving quickly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Penguin100

Congratulations, that's brilliant.

I'm low 300s so not holding my breath, but got a call yesterday out of the blue asking me if I would be interested in taking a contract for a year to cover a maternity leave. Never rains but it pours. I contacted one of my referees to tell her she may get a call and she passed my name on to the person who called yesterday.

Don't know what to do now, location is handy enough, bus journey away but bus brings me practically to the door and the money is better than the CO. Ideally it would take a year for my CO position to come up but what's the betting I start this job and get the call soon after.

Nice problem to have though.

Actually as I'm typing this I'm wondering would it be cheeky to ring and ask if they have an idea when my number will be called. I hate the thoughts of taking the other job and then maybe letting them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Starry12

Congratulations! Thats great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭CBGirl

Got an offer this morning too 30 mins after I had accepted another job. So torn, the civil service is better security wise but id b better off financially taking d Job here in Donegal. Have to let dgl job know this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Penguin100

CBGirl wrote: »
    Got an offer this morning too 30 mins after I had accepted another job. So torn, the civil service is better security wise but id b better off financially taking d Job here in Donegal. Have to let dgl job know this evening.

Well done! It's just typical isn't it?

I just rang the PAS and I'm really none the wiser, best he could say was that my number at 310 was high enough and he reckoned it would only be a couple of months.

I really don't want to mess the temp job person up as she is a friend of my referee.

Good luck with your decision, it's a big one for you especially as it would involve relocating.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

Peoplepoint in Clonskeagh. After all the waiting, it happens just like that! I was 119th so there must be a good few people here that were ahead of me? Did you guys hear anything yet? My reference was only contacted yesterday so they're moving quickly enough

Congrats :)

I haven't heard anything yet and am in top 10. I applied for the Airport though, so I guess the background checks/start dates for that are different to People Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

Well done guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 nukie1978

CBGirl wrote: »

Did you get an offer for the airport or elsewhere?

And also congratulations, obviously!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 emcnamee

Congrats :)

I haven't heard anything yet and am in top 10. I applied for the Airport though, so I guess the background checks/start dates for that are different to People Point.

Same here... Top 10 & Airport but no contact.

Advertisement