Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aoiferahmana

CBGirl wrote: »
    Got an offer this morning too 30 mins after I had accepted another job. So torn, the civil service is better security wise but id b better off financially taking d Job here in Donegal. Have to let dgl job know this evening.

Congrats! Where was it? And when are you starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭CBGirl

Offer was for Peoplepoint, looking for me to start on 10th altho flexible for giving notice. I had applied for airport & was placed 77th.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Offer was for Peoplepoint, looking for me to start on 10th altho flexible for giving notice. I had applied for airport & was placed 77th.

I heard they had 48 newstarts for next Monday for Peoplepoint- with a smaller number to follow over the following 2 weeks. They're trying to get as many of them together as possible- to plan for induction training.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

@The_Conductor: Have you any idea to how many jobs there will be in Dublin? I'm placed mid 200s.

jimba wrote: »
    @The_Conductor: Have you any idea to how many jobs there will be in Dublin? I'm placed mid 200s.

Its a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. It depends entirely on how many staff the different Departments put in for, how many are then sanctioned by DPER, and where Departments decide they are most needed.

If you're in the 200s- you're laughing.......

Its entirely possible that the entire panel, when its fully constituted, may be exhausted- the civil service has been seriously denuded of people..........

Give them a ring every few weeks- if you don't hear anything- however, I'd imagine you'll hear from them fairly soon.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Penguin100

What did you decide to do?

I have until tomorrow to decide whether to proceed with the contract position. My head is wrecked and I haven't slept the last two nights trying to sort out the pros and cons in my head.

Penguin100 wrote: »
    What did you decide to do?

I have until tomorrow to decide whether to proceed with the contract position. My head is wrecked and I haven't slept the last two nights trying to sort out the pros and cons in my head.

I picked the job at home. Have no idea if I've done the right thing. Never would have thought having to decide between 2 jobs would be so horrible! Good luck with your own decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Phantasos

I picked the job at home. Have no idea if I've done the right thing. Never would have thought having to decide between 2 jobs would be so horrible! Good luck with your own decision.

You'll still be on the panel for your home region, right?

Phantasos wrote: »

Yeah and I was 25th on it after the first exam so really hoping that works out.

Phantasos wrote: »

Not necessarily- you would be prudent to ring Public Jobs and confirm this- rather than assuming it to be the case........

• Advertisement

The familiarization material sent along with the invitation to interview states that should a candidate be offered and decline a position they will remain on the panel for any other regions selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Well, not picking the Dublin job means I'm another number closer to getting one myself, so cheers for that! And good luck with the new job too.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Penguin100

Best of luck with it. Fingers crossed the CO job for your region will come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 nukie1978

Has anyone received an offer in the publicjobs.ie messages, or have they been informal offers by telephone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

nukie1978 wrote: »
    Has anyone received an offer in the publicjobs.ie messages, or have they been informal offers by telephone?

I get the impression that initial contact is done by phone to confirm you still want the job and still have the same references. Only after that would you be contacted by email to be given your assignment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 iffy

I got a call yesterday seeing if it was ok to contact my references. I also applied for the airport. No mention of what positions they were hiring for. Phone call only lasted 2 minutes tops. It's all very cloak and dagger! I hope I'm not offered clonskeagh, would be a 3 hour round trip for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 emcnamee

iffy wrote: »
    I got a call yesterday seeing if it was ok to contact my references. I also applied for the airport. No mention of what positions they were hiring for. Phone call only lasted 2 minutes tops. It's all very cloak and dagger! I hope I'm not offered clonskeagh, would be a 3 hour round trip for me!

What position were you after tests? There was a 77 who applied for airport but was offered Clonskeagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 iffy

emcnamee wrote: »
    What position were you after tests? There was a 77 who applied for airport but was offered Clonskeagh.

I'm in the ninetys, so not looking very likely for the airport positions. I would really have to consider the pro's and con's if I was offered clonskeagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭kg703

Also offered clonskeagh, notice too short to give my job and they want everyone starting at the same time but she told me they will be taking people in January aswell if that's any help to anyone

I'm in the ninetys, so not looking very likely for the airport positions. I would really have to consider the pro's and con's if I was offered clonskeagh.

I would say your very likely for the airport. If there are fifty positions and during my interview process, only about 1/5 asked to be considered for the airport (I have good hearing), I would say you are a near certainty.
    Plus don't forget that they are also judging from the interview whether you are suitable for this specific role so many who even went for it, may be deemed unsuitable.
    The airport is something I'd love tho, not holding my breath.

• Advertisement

I would say you're very likely for the airport. If there are fifty positions and during my interview process, only about 1/5 asked to be considered for the airport (I have good hearing), I would say you are a near certainty.
    Plus don't forget that they are also judging from the interview whether you are suitable for this specific role so many who even went for it, may be deemed unsuitable.
    The airport is something I'd love tho, not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 IKCL

First off, congrats to all who have received a job!

Does anyone else find the process a bit haphazard? I'm starting to question the importance of where one is numbered on the panel. It doesn't seem to be following a logical pattern.

Having said that, I'm in the 200's, so I'm not expecting an offer till next year either way!

IKCL wrote: »

Does anyone else find the process a bit haphazard? I'm starting to question the importance of where one is numbered on the panel. It doesn't seem to be following a logical pattern.

Having said that, I'm in the 200's, so I'm not expecting an offer till next year either way!

Does Garda vetting come back quicker if you've had it done recently? I presumed mine came back quickly because it was last done in May & that was why I was offered a place so quickly. All just guessing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

IKCL wrote: »

I think it may seem haphazard in a way but most likely isn't. I would imagine that the Immigration Dept have selected the candidates they want, PeoplePoint the same and the same for other departments who have candidates earmarked but what is happening here (I would imagine) is that maybe the Immigration Dept HR (for example) could be in the middle of a massive project so have not had time to contact theirs yet, other departments might be moving quicker as have the capacity to do so etc. Or it could be that the people who are getting the calls right now are needed desperately for the department they've been called to.

I would say that it might look haphazard but definitely wouldn't be - they have reasons for ranking us and wouldn't go to all the trouble of that and then just select randomly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Got a phonecall this morning saying I am 'under consideration' for the immigration job and asking can they contact my references. Eeeeek!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭swht

Got a phonecall this morning saying I am 'under consideration' for the immigration job and asking can they contact my references. Eeeeek!

Had the call last week about references and then another on Friday asking if I still want to be considered for the airport role.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Same here. Any idea of what type of notice they're allowing people to serve?

Meathlass wrote: »
    Same here. Any idea of what type of notice they're allowing people to serve?

Normally its 1 week- however, if you are contractually obliged to serve a longer period (1 month or whatever) tell them- and they will make allowances (though they may ask for this in writing).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Normally its 1 week- however, if you are contractually obliged to serve a longer period (1 month or whatever) tell them- and they will make allowances (though they may ask for this in writing).

Thanks. I'm going to let them contact my references and see what the T&Cs of the position are. I applied for the airport because of the shift bonus but that won't kick in while we're waiting to be deployed. I'm not sure I can live on the normal salary.

Have to do a big list of pros and cons tonight of accepting the position. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Phantasos

Offered Clonskeagh but declined, one less sub-100 panellist for you to worry about. Hoping my other regions have vacancies down the line.

Advertisement