Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I get the impression that a surprising amount of panelists are declining the offers, mainly due to time taken to get this far, money or location. Thanks to all of those people, my puny 421 may actually come up in the next 6 months. Yipee!

(I'm being genuine here, your declined offer could be my permanent job.)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Penguin100

I wonder did anyone start in Clonskeagh today and how did they get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

What numbers are the people who are getting the calls? Just wondering if they'll be getting to me soon x

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Penguin100 wrote: »

Someone in personnel said they had 48 newstarts today (they wanted a round 50 for induction training and were a few short). Perhaps someone can confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aoiferahmana

Penguin100 wrote:

I had said that I could start today, but she rang back late last week to say they couldn't get enough people to start this week, so they're starting everybody next Monday instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 aoiferahmana

Penguin100 wrote:

I had said that I could start today, but she rang back late last week to say they couldn't get enough people to start this week, so they're starting everybody next Monday instead

• Registered Users Posts: 32 iffy

donna35 wrote: »
    What numbers are the people who are getting the calls? Just wondering if they'll be getting to me soon x

I'm in the ninetys, got the call last week about refrences. Heard nothing since. Don't think it's going strictly by panel numbers by the looks of things on here, which seems very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I'm in the low 200s (200-220). Applied for airport. Got a call yesterday to ask could they contact references. They rang my boss 2 hours later.

Almost 99.9% sure I'm going to decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 O C 2007

Am so nervous here hoping the phone rings.... am in the low 200's also (approx 230) and applied for the airport - there seem to be alot of people turning down the positions from the looks of things here!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 O C 2007

Am so nervous here hoping the phone rings.... am in the low 200's also (approx 230) and applied for the airport - there seem to be alot of people turning down the positions from the looks of things here! Also I have a holiday booked for next March (Easter) for 3 weeks to Australia (family wedding etc). If I get the call I am wondering should I tell them then? I never expected to qualify at the interview stage and it didn't seem the right time to mention it then!

• Advertisement

I'm number 194 so going by that I could get a call really soon so. I'm not expecting them to ring me for permission to contact references though as going by the info provided by them they only do that if you have a current employer. Really hope to hear soon now, thanks all. Feeling really nervous too OC so you're not alone.

Meathlass can I ask why you've decided to decline?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Phantasos

I'm not expecting them to ring me for permission to contact references though as going by the info provided by them they only do that if you have a current employer.

They'll check references even if you're not currently employed.

Phantasos wrote: »
    They'll check references even if you're not currently employed.

Oh I know that but just their info said they'll let us know before contacting current employer, so I'm expecting them to contact my references but not necessarily to let me know first x

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rustie

I placed 181 after the aptitude and passed my interview.I rang PAS a week ago asking what the story was and the girl I spoke to said that they were in the 150s or so in terms of panel places and that I should either be working or have an offer within six weeks. The thing I forgot to mention at that point was that I hadn't opted for the airport. Realised this and mailed them today - I got a reply stating 'When your place is reached, we will contact you..' and that they couldn't give me even a rough date because it's down to departmental demands/vacancies. Frustrating being relatively high and not knowing if I'll be waiting another six months for a position!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

O C 2007 wrote: »
    Am so nervous here hoping the phone rings.... am in the low 200's also (approx 230) and applied for the airport - there seem to be alot of people turning down the positions from the looks of things here! Also I have a holiday booked for next March (Easter) for 3 weeks to Australia (family wedding etc). If I get the call I am wondering should I tell them then? I never expected to qualify at the interview stage and it didn't seem the right time to mention it then!

If you start in the job before the end of the year there is no way you will have worked up the amount of leave to take 3 weeks holidays UNLESS the new leave year starts in January (which happens in some Government Dept). If the new leave year does not start until April you will have to apply to take unpaid leave. You might not get approval for it though.

Meathlass can I ask why you've decided to decline?

Number of reasons:
    1. Salary is just too low to live and work in Dublin. The shift bonus for the airport only kicks in when you're actually working there so for all the training etc (which could be months) it would be the basic salary.

2. I'd have to move closer to Dublin which for personal reasons is both a pro and a con but the lazy side of me likes my current house and doesn't want to change!

3. I don't think I'd find the work stimulating enough compared to my current position which has a lot of responsibility.

4. I'm hoping to get something in my other regions and I'm really hoping to be successful in the graduate competition.

5. I'm absolutely terrified that I'd be stuck in the same job for years with no promotion opportunities. Speaking to relatives in the civil service hasn't allayed my fears.

I'm actually out of contract at the end of the year and my current employers have their hands tied as to extending it so I could be turning down a permanent, pensionable job for the dole queue. It's a huge decision, causing me restless nights, and I won't finally make my mind up until I hear the terms and conditions of what they offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Meathlass wrote: »
    Number of reasons:
    1. Salary is just too low to live and work in Dublin. The shift bonus for the airport only kicks in when you're actually working there so for all the training etc (which could be months) it would be the basic salary.

2. I'd have to move closer to Dublin which for personal reasons is both a pro and a con but the lazy side of me likes my current house and doesn't want to change!

3. I don't think I'd find the work stimulating enough compared to my current position which has a lot of responsibility.

4. I'm hoping to get something in my other regions and I'm really hoping to be successful in the graduate competition.

5. I'm absolutely terrified that I'd be stuck in the same job for years with no promotion opportunities. Speaking to relatives in the civil service hasn't allayed my fears.

I'm actually out of contract at the end of the year and my current employers have their hands tied as to extending it so I could be turning down a permanent, pensionable job for the dole queue. It's a huge decision, causing me restless nights, and I won't finally make my mind up until I hear the terms and conditions of what they offer.

That is a very real and valid concern to have. Promotion opportunities are so thin on the ground. I have colleagues that have worked in the same area for 7 years no with no opportunity to progress within the department.

gazzer wrote: »
    That is a very real and valid concern to have. Promotion opportunities are so thin on the ground. I have colleagues that have worked in the same area for 7 years no with no opportunity to progress within the department.

That's what I was afraid of :o My current job (2.5 years) is the longest I've ever worked at the same position and that has a lot of variation. The thought of 7 years checking people's passports is horrendous!

How easy is it to transfer departments? (I have professional skills that directly relate to one particular area and I would be a much better asset there than anywhere else)

I hear mention of internal promotions. Are these common and are many people promoted?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Swaine55

Anyone else in my boat? I applied for the CO position made it trough to the interview stage positioned at no. 500 but still haven't heard from them about an interview???

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Phantasos

Oh I know that but just their info said they'll let us know before contacting current employer, so I'm expecting them to contact my references but not necessarily to let me know first x

From my personal experience they still contacted me before contacting previous employer references, that's what I meant!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭dooey_01

From my personal experience they still contacted me before contacting previous employer references, that's what I meant!

I've heard nothing and they have made contact with references.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I hear mention of internal promotions. Are these common and are many people promoted?

It depends on the Department- but there have been quite a few internal promotion competitions of late (after a very lean decade without any promotional opportunities whatsoever). I'm in the middle of going for 3 different competitions- one is general service, the other two are technical posts (which I hold the requisite qualifications to go for). Previously technical posts would only have been advertised externally- you as an internal candidate would have had to compete with the entire public for what would be a promotion for you- or an entry level job for someone else. Thank god- someone somewhere decided to check and see whether internal candidates had the necessary qualifications to go for technical posts- despite working in admin positions........

As for transferring Departments- the rule of thumb is you stay with your home Department for a minimum of 2 years (normally 3 or 4) before you would be considered for a transfer- however, its far from unusual for exceptions to be made to this- it really depends on the case a person makes, and whether they are released from their position to transfer (releasing someone is often the stumbling block- as every little section and every Division is treated like a feifdom- and letting someone go, is a tacit admission that a Division is over staffed). That said- even senior managers are human- and will listen to their staff and in general do their best for them. One girl I know who was commuting from Wexford to Dublin daily- has recently been helped in this manner.

Don't rule anything out- is a general rule of thumb- you'd be surprised at some of the accommodations that might be made.

The last 15 years are a very bad comparitor to use as a yardstick as to whether someone might get a promotion or not. The average age in the civil service is already well into the 50s, and some Departments have less than 1% of staff under the age of 30. There are going to be large cohorts of people retiring over the next 10 years- based purely on demographics. These are across all the grades. There will be promotional opportunities there- that have not been available over the previous 15 years.........

Your family and friends in the civil service who have been stuck in positions for years- were unlucky on a number of fronts, not least the 2001 1-in-6 replacement policy- the complete moratorium in 2007 etc etc. Its been a bad 15 years to be in the civil service. Better times are ahead........

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

What is the process of recruiting from the panel? I thought it was numerical order however I know someone who placed early 100s but has not been contacted. This person hasn't applied for the airport either.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

What is the process of recruiting from the panel? I thought it was numerical order however I know someone who placed early 100s but has not been contacted. This person hasn't applied for the airport either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Might be an idea for them to ring in - it could be that PAs have the wrong number for them or something. Can't hurt to ring anyway!

Number of reasons:

All very valid concerns. I hope that if you do decide to turn it down that an ideal post in your preferred areas comes up really soon xx

Ah I get ya now, thanks x

• Registered Users Posts: 15 citizen_bob

undecided wrote: »

I'm in the 150s, but haven't heard anything yet. (Likewise, I haven't applied for the airport posts.) Anyone else similar?

I'm in the 150s, but haven't heard anything yet. (Likewise, I haven't applied for the airport posts.) Anyone else similar?

194 here, not heard anything and I did put in for the airport.

I think that various departments have selected who they want and it's just a matter of waiting for them to contact us - that doesn't help us though as I'm sure loads of us are sitting foot-tapping and checking phone constantly lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 citizen_bob

...I'm sure loads of us are sitting foot-tapping and checking phone constantly lol.

Totally!

Advertisement