Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

Totally!

Tempted to ring them and see have they any info but don't want to be bugging them.

My phone rang a few minutes ago, a number I didn't know, heart was in my mouth but it was just my mam she borrowed a friend's phone to call me lol. Can't take much more of this, it's worse than being a kid waiting for Christmas. Heck being ANYONE waiting for Christmas LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 citizen_bob

donna35 wrote: »
    Tempted to ring them and see have they any info but don't want to be bugging them.

My phone rang a few minutes ago, a number I didn't know, heart was in my mouth but it was just my mam she borrowed a friend's phone to call me lol. Can't take much more of this, it's worse than being a kid waiting for Christmas. Heck being ANYONE waiting for Christmas LOL.

Feel the very same - I rang the PAS a couple of days ago, but the recording mentioned that queries about the CO competition could/should(?) be emailed, so I thought best not to bother anyone for the mo. I would guess a better idea of what's really happening would be easier to get by talking with someone - it feels more informal than email. Give it a few more days and I probably will phone and try to speak to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 emcnamee

Emailed PAS for update and received this:

I refer to your email.

You are in the clearance process and will revert to you in due course.

Feel the very same - I rang the PAS a couple of days ago, but the recording mentioned that queries about the CO competition could/should(?) be emailed, so I thought best not to bother anyone for the mo. I would guess a better idea of what's really happening would be easier to get by talking with someone - it feels more informal than email. Give it a few more days and I probably will phone and try to speak to someone.

Good idea. Hopefully you won't have to ring and they'll have gotten to you by then though. It sounds like they're getting a lot of phone queries if they've put that on their recording so I'm definitely not going to bug them...also the longer time they spend on the phone answering queries and emailing back all of us then it slows them down from checking our references and allocating jobs to us so it's counter-productive really (doesn't stop me wanting to though haha).

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭butterly.john

Swaine55 wrote: »
    Anyone else in my boat? I applied for the CO position made it trough to the interview stage positioned at no. 500 but still haven't heard from them about an interview???
    Yes I am in the same boat, I came in the early 600,s. I mailed them and spoke with them on the phone and was assured both times that all the people who passed the supervised tests would be interviewed before anyone was offered a position.
    As it happeds I had a job at the time of the original applications and have since moved to a better job so it would be a big dcision to take the 20k per year.
    I mailed the PAS service last week and asked was the bottm half of the panel scrapped or could we still expect to be interviewed, I also pointed out that the original email went out in July for the profile test, & that people have been waiting so long that some could have died of old age.
    I said in the email that the whole process is a shambles and that they have given out verY inaccurate information every time that I Have contacted them. The way they handleD the recruitment for such low pay is terrible and would not be accepted in privete industry, its almost like they are preparing you to be totally inefficient if you get hired.
    To make a long story short I asked them to count me out, I am sticking with private industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I have to say I think the whole process has been handled quite quickly bearing in mind they originally received 28,000 applications.

I'm not sure why people are being contacted out of sequence but it may be as simple as references not being available or certain competencies wanted by certain departments.

I applied for a public sector campaign before; it was advertised in April and I started the job at the end of December so by that standard this is flying by!

Yes I am in the same boat, I came in the early 600,s. I mailed them and spoke with them on the phone and was assured both times that all the people who passed the supervised tests would be interviewed before anyone was offered a position.
    As it happeds I had a job at the time of the original applications and have since moved to a better job so it would be a big dcision to take the 20k per year.
    I mailed the PAS service last week and asked was the bottm half of the panel scrapped or could we still expect to be interviewed, I also pointed out that the original email went out in July for the profile test, & that people have been waiting so long that some could have died of old age.
    I said in the email that the whole process is a shambles and that they have given out verY inaccurate information every time that I Have contacted them. The way they handleD the recruitment for such low pay is terrible and would not be accepted in privete industry, its almost like they are preparing you to be totally inefficient if you get hired.
    To make a long story short I asked them to count me out, I am sticking with private industry.

To be fair to them though they have had a massive undertaking with all of this, over 28,000 applicants to begin with which was probably way beyond expectations and to go from that to where they are now would have entailed a huge amount of work. I believe they've worked overtime too as people have had emails back at out of office hours etc.

And as well as all that, from what I've read on here and elsewhere, when they have a recruitment drive from application to job offers in general can take a few months at least so was expecting it not to be the quickest process.

I can't see them waiting til they've interviewed everyone who passed before offering jobs though as some of these jobs are quite urgent, also I saw that some have been offered jobs already so that can't be correct information x

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭eroc79

For those outside Dublin the process has come to a standstill. A little information on what regions might eventual need people would be very much appreciated but unlikely to happen. We just need to be patient.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The speed really depends- as does how badly they want you as a candidate. I did an interview for EO (back in 2001) and was rung by PAS @ 11AM the following day- asking me to report to Personnel the following Monday........ Thats an extreme example- but it just goes to show........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

It doesn't seem to be in exact rotation as we would expect but fairly close to it. My guess is, they get to a block of say 30, send the submission we brought to the interview out to the departments who are currently hiring and if they are wanted by any of them, they will ring us for reference checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I emailed PAS about progress outside dublin and was told that if and when they get approval for other areas the process will recommence. Doesnt really clarify when it will happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Good for you!

I'm glad someone has spoken out.

sillysocks wrote: »
    I emailed PAS about progress outside dublin and was told that if and when they get approval for other areas the process will recommence. Doesnt really clarify when it will happen!

I would imagine that they'll wait til Dublin is sorted (ie interviews completed and good progress made on hiring) before moving on with outside Dublin as they'll want the full lists for outside including people who passed the interview in Dublin but would rather other regions and then they'll get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Don't think that's very fair or balanced.
    The salary is set by the government for a start , and you were told it exactly what it would be in the job ad , unlike in private industry where you would normally just get a salary range. So if you thought the salary was too low why did you apply at all ?

Given 28000 applicants how quickly would you expect them to be processed ?

I don't know how many passed the supervised tests - it could be everyone who did ( for dublin ) was interviewed ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

gazzer wrote: »
    If you start in the job before the end of the year there is no way you will have worked up the amount of leave to take 3 weeks holidays UNLESS the new leave year starts in January (which happens in some Government Dept). If the new leave year does not start until April you will have to apply to take unpaid leave. You might not get approval for it though.

I'd come out and tell them that you have it booked as either way you are going to have to mention it come March. As Gazzer said it will probably be unpaid leave but you might be lucky and let you use future Annual Leave but depends on manager.

Best of luck in the job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 32 iffy

I believe the 500 plus are now being called to interview. Hopefully some of us will hear about jobs before the weekend!

Customer Services in Revenue are taking on batches of COs (I've no idea what number) starting in January.

I look forward to meeting new colleagues.:D:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Euro Fred wrote: »
    Does anybody know what parking is like at people's place in Clonskeagh?

Limited in nature- there is some parking- however, you may have trouble if you're relying on it. You really need to contact Personnel there to clarify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westmeath11

InReality wrote: »
    Don't think that's very fair or balanced.
    The salary is set by the government for a start , and you were told it exactly what it would be in the job ad , unlike in private industry where you would normally just get a salary range. So if you thought the salary was too low why did you apply at all ?

Given 28000 applicants how quickly would you expect them to be processed ?

I don't know how many passed the supervised tests - it could be everyone who did ( for dublin ) was interviewed ..

Hi I came in the 600's and have been called for the interview, I think John went on a bit of a rant, but at the same time we have been waiting a long time. At least it's coming to a close now, one way or another

• Registered Users Posts: 31 O C 2007

jaqian wrote: »
    I'd come out and tell them that you have it booked as either way you are going to have to mention it come March. As Gazzer said it will probably be unpaid leave but you might be lucky and let you use future Annual Leave but depends on manager.

Best of luck in the job :)

Thanks for that Jagian, I would definitely have mentioned it to them anyway as soon as they call me... But I am still waiting on a phone call!!!!

As a matter of interest GerbilGranny in relation to Revenue Customer Service - where are they based?

All I know is that in the District in which I work (which is based in Dublin city), we've been told that new COs will be coming in January.

Dublin District Customer Services areas are based in O'Connell Street, Mount Street, Ashtowngate Dublin 15, and Belgard Road Tallaght. I would expect that each of those locations need staff. It's possible that a cohort of COs might be given some initial training at the Revenue Training Centre in D'Olier House (or at an alternative location) and subsequently sent to their individual districts. That happened in the good old days, when a good number of new staff joined. When TCOs have come to Customer Services during the summer, or when other staff have been transferred into Customer Services in recent years, they tend to get on-the-job-training in their own District, and also attend courses in the Training Centre.

There may well be other COs going to other areas of Revenue in the Dublin area - but there are definitely vacancies in the Customer Services area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Hi,

My boyfriend is ranked #310 on the panel atm. Just wondering if anybody above that number has been called since the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AshF22

Acacia wrote: »
    Hi,

My boyfriend is ranked #310 on the panel atm. Just wondering if anybody above that number has been called since the interview?

Hi im not sure but im 323 and i still havnt heard anything :(

Acacia wrote: »
    Hi,

Hi I'm number 194 and not had a call since the interview x

All I know is that in the District in which I work (which is based in Dublin city), we've been told that new COs will be coming in January.

Dublin District Customer Services areas are based in O'Connell Street, Mount Street, Ashtowngate Dublin 15, and Belgard Road Tallaght. I would expect that each of those locations need staff. It's possible that a cohort of COs might be given some initial training at the Revenue Training Centre in D'Olier House (or at an alternative location) and subsequently sent to their individual districts. That happened in the good old days, when a good number of new staff joined. When TCOs have come to Customer Services during the summer, or when other staff have been transferred into Customer Services in recent years, they tend to get on-the-job-training in their own District, and also attend courses in the Training Centre.

There may well be other COs going to other areas of Revenue in the Dublin area - but there are definitely vacancies in the Customer Services area.

I would absolutely love this - especially if I got sent to town or Belgard Road as they're so accessible to me...and I have loads of customer service experience. Gerbilgranny ring them and tell them number 194 is jumping up and down in excitement lol x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Thanks for your replies guys, hope you all hear back soon!:)

donna35 wrote: »
    I would absolutely love this - especially if I got sent to d'Olier St or Belgard Road as they're so accessible to me...and I have loads of customer service experience. Gerbilgranny ring them and tell them number 194 is jumping up and down in excitement lol x

Gerbilgranny is still sad that 422 (Gerbilauntie) won't be getting an offer as 422 didn't pass the interview...Gerbilmommy (hope you can work out the dynamics of my family here!) was 185 or something after the first test, but didn't do the second one as she's doing a Masters for the next couple of years.

The thing about the customer service in Revenue is that on the 1890 phone line one can be asked such a variety of questions, and one has to know a fair bit. I don't think anyone ever gets to the point where they know absolutely everything about tax, but suffice to say that I learn something new most days. Delivering a satisfactory 'experience' to the customer on the end of the phone line is an important part of the job, but we also have to know our stuff. In addition, the fact that we're short staffed means the customers have often been waiting too long to get through to an operator - though hopefully things may improve in the future when more staff join.

But no-one is put on the 1890 before they've completed certain modules of training, so no need to worry unduly....it's just you can never know the answer to every question or query.

I'm still standing, though, having been drafted into this area 2 years ago (at the tender age of 51:D).

As regards location, common sense has generally prevailed in Revenue - I think if they see someone's home address is Dublin 24, they'd be more inclined to give them a position in either the city centre or (great if you can get it), Tallaght - rather than in Dublin 15.

D'Olier Street is the central Training area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

@gerbilgranny... Is there opportunities if you work in Revenue to get into Customs?

Advertisement