Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Yes...every couple of years (I think, could be every year...sorry, I've never applied) they recruit for a panel to work in Enforcement posts - based at Dublin Port, Airport, and other locations. I think the successful candidates work in Enforcement for a period of two (maybe four...sorry, as I said, it hasn't be on interest to me) years, and then another panel is created. Some people reapply for enforcement and return to that area, others go back to other areas of Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

Gerbilgranny is still sad that 422 (Gerbilauntie) won't be getting an offer as 422 didn't pass the interview...Gerbilmommy (hope you can work out the dynamics of my family here!) was 185 or something after the first test, but didn't do the second one as she's doing a Masters for the next couple of years.

The thing about the customer service in Revenue is that on the 1890 phone line one can be asked such a variety of questions, and one has to know a fair bit. I don't think anyone ever gets to the point where they know absolutely everything about tax, but suffice to say that I learn something new most days. Delivering a satisfactory 'experience' to the customer on the end of the phone line is an important part of the job, but we also have to know our stuff. In addition, the fact that we're short staffed means the customers have often been waiting too long to get through to an operator - though hopefully things may improve in the future when more staff join.

But no-one is put on the 1890 before they've completed certain modules of training, so no need to worry unduly....it's just you can never know the answer to every question or query.

I'm still standing, though, having been drafted into this area 2 years ago (at the tender age of 51:D).

As regards location, common sense has generally prevailed in Revenue - I think if they see someone's home address is Dublin 24, they'd be more inclined to give them a position in either the city centre or (great if you can get it), Tallaght - rather than in Dublin 15.

D'Olier Street is the central Training area.

Fixed my post, town would be ideal for me or even Tallaght as I'm in Dublin 12 so am positioned about halfway between both. The Revenue job would be perfect for me, as I said I have lots of customer service experience. I worked in an office for 15 years dealing with customers, it's definitely true you could be asked anything! I was in a wholesalers and we'd have people asking for odd things - have fond memories of elderly shop owners muttering 'and some of those nappies for women please' and suchlike lol. It's always good to have the knowledge needed when answering the phone, nothing worse than someone answering and not being able to assist.

I hope Gerbilauntie and Gerbilmummy get the jobs of their dreams and am sorry that they didn't get the results they hoped for xx

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Thanks - one of them didn't want the CO job as she was continuing in education. But I thought it was no harm to apply 'just in case' - as when I did the CO exam in 1994 it was 2 years before I was called to start. That suited me fine. But she wasn't able to attend the supervised test (much to her relief!) as she had started teaching practice by then.

Maybe I'll come across 'donna35' in an internal communication in Revenue in the future!

Thanks - one of them didn't want the CO job as she was continuing in education. But I thought it was no harm to apply 'just in case' - as when I did the CO exam in 1994 it was 2 years before I was called to start. That suited me fine. But she wasn't able to attend the supervised test (much to her relief!) as she had started teaching practice by then.

Maybe I'll come across 'donna35' in an internal communication in Revenue in the future!

I hope so! xx

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

So the starting salary for CO is about 21k which isn't very attractive, especially for those of us who may have to move to Dublin for a position.

So what other benefits beyond this make a civil service career worth it?

I have always wanted to work for the public service so the smaller pay comparing to the private sector is something I am willing to put up with so long as I can afford to live the good life as they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

jimba wrote: »
    So the starting salary for CO is about 21k which isn't very attractive, especially for those of us who may have to move to Dublin for a position.

So what other benefits beyond this make a civil service career worth it?

Security, variety of the work, guaranteed increments, promotions, flexitime, career leave, career education....

Best of luck to all those new Clerical Officers starting in PeoplePoint in the morning. We're right behind ye, in many ways!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Best of luck to all those new Clerical Officers starting in PeoplePoint in the morning. We're right behind ye, in many ways!

In all seriousness- the very best of good luck to all of you- doubtless we'll all be talking to you at some stage- I really wish you all the best.

Good luck everyone starting their new jobs and all the best for your careers...and good luck too to the rest of us, hopefully we hear soon too xx

Has anyone else heard from them since?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Phantasos

donna35 wrote: »
    Has anyone else heard from them since?

We've lost them... they're part of the system now. ;_;

Phantasos wrote: »
    We've lost them... they're part of the system now. ;_;

hahaha not them, they're happy working away now. Sorry should have been more clear - meant had anyone else heard from the recruiters x

Nope. A very curious silence from the guys who were close to getting the Airport...hmmm..

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭dwasol

I'm very confused about all of this. I was placed around 150 & my son came in at number 600 but received no call yet HOWEVER my ex who didn't sit the test that the 28000 sat has been called for an interview as a Temporary Clerical Officer tomorrow. Why are they putting the full time permanent jobs on long finger while trying to give out temporary positions?

Because it is probably to cover a maternity leave rather than a brand new job just waiting for one of us lucky sons of bitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Nope. A very curious silence from the guys who were close to getting the Airport...hmmm..

Nothing re the Airport unfortunately, still waiting. Had the first call and they've rang my references, nothing since though.

Hope we hear soon, it'll be a great Christmas if we all have our jobs or even starting dates before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gnoonan

They called me on Friday to say they were checking references, I was ranked 19th after the supervised tests. I wonder when I'll find out more... Revenue in Ashtowngate would be ideal for me but I know realistically I probably won't get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭speedygirl

hi folks, I am waiting to get called for Assessment Centre. ( County application )

How does it work . Do they just bring you in , check ID and you do your assessments again? How long is it for ? and is it all written or computer based? would really appreciate your feedback on this thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

speedygirl wrote: »
    hi folks, I am waiting to get called for Assessment Centre. ( County application )

How does it work . Do they just bring you in , check ID and you do your assessments again? How long is it for ? and is it all written or computer based? would really appreciate your feedback on this thanks.

You come in to the office and wait downstairs. Then they bring you all up together to a room where you can leave coats/bags etc. They then check everyone's ID against the email they sent you (which you have to bring with you).

Everyone goes into the room. It's all computer based. You're provided with a calculator and some paper (there might have been a pencil too - you have to hand up your rough work afterwards). They run through the instructions including signing a confidentiality form and you can then do some practice tests on the computer for about 5 mins. Everyone starts the real tests at the same time. They then repeat this four times for all the tests.

From sitting in the waiting room to walking out the front door took 2.5 hours. From my memory the tests were the same style and duration as the online ones. There was about 50 people doing the tests the same time as me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

I've been following this thread for quite some time, I'm just wondering where the airport job was advertised? Was it part of the CO competition? I just applied for a few local regions in Munster and am curious as to where you all saw that position. I did very poorly anyway, but just out of interest!

Thanks

SONIC2008 wrote: »
    I've been following this thread for quite some time, I'm just wondering where the airport job was advertised? Was it part of the CO competition? I just applied for a few local regions in Munster and am curious as to where you all saw that position. I did very poorly anyway, but just out of interest!

Thanks

Yes it was part of the Dublin CO positions, there was no separate advertisment for it. When people were invited to interview they were asked if they wished to be considered for the airport positions as well. It would only be relevant to those who selected Dublin as a region.

Meathlass wrote: »
    You come in to the office and wait downstairs. Then they bring you all up together to a room where you can leave coats/bags etc. They then check everyone's ID against the email they sent you (which you have to bring with you).

Everyone goes into the room. It's all computer based. You're provided with a calculator and some paper (there might have been a pencil too - you have to hand up your rough work afterwards). They run through the instructions including signing a confidentiality form and you can then do some practice tests on the computer for about 5 mins. Everyone starts the real tests at the same time. They then repeat this four times for all the tests.

From sitting in the waiting room to walking out the front door took 2.5 hours. From my memory the tests were the same style and duration as the online ones. There was about 50 people doing the tests the same time as me.

Great thanks for this info Meathlass. appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 nukie1978

Meathlass wrote: »
    From my memory the tests were the same style and duration as the online ones.

The supervised tests are NOT the same as the online ones. The online ones were 8 testlets of 4 questions each, the supervised ones are a 20 minute (approx.) straight run-through for each section. I know of at least one person who got badly caught out (ie, failed) because they were expecting the supervised to be more or less the same as the online tests.

They are the same format and standard as the sample tests which are on publicjobs(dot)ie, and there's a link to these in briefing you get when you get invited to the supervised tests. Note however that you will not have to do the test for categorizing information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 1celticphoenix

Guys I sat the interview but was never asked if I wanted to work in the airport. At what stage were you supposed to let them know? I still havn't received a call from them

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭swht

Guys I sat the interview but was never asked if I wanted to work in the airport. At what stage were you supposed to let them know? I still havn't received a call from them

It depended on your position from the stage 2 tests, as far as I can tell at least the first 100 were asked. They only have around 50 positions for the airport, and they were supposed to be fairly urgent, though they don't seem to be moving too fast so I guess they figured positions would be filled before getting further down the panel. I got a call specifically telling me I'm being considered for the airport job and asking me was I still interested in it, that was a couple of weeks ago.

They send an email out to people with details of the airport position and if we were interested we'd to tell them the day of the interview.

I presume they were only asking the top xx of people.

Thank you for that info re the tests, its like something that would happen to me, I would be expecting them to be same as last time and probably get my timings all wrong !

Any word from those who started in People Point?

• Advertisement

Any word from those who started in People Point?

Nobody's ever come back to report on their new jobs.

I wonder what PAS is doing with all the new recruits ... :eek:

Advertisement