Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

They are probably in shock! As a former Civil Servant colleague in an old job dryly commented to me and another new hire. "Don't worry lads the first twenty years are the worst".

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westmeath11

Hi,
    I have my interview next week. I ago a mail from PAS asking if I would like to apply for the Prison Service, no contact with prisoners. The money is ok, probably because it seems to be shift work. Has anyone else gone for the prison service ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 darthinvader

Hi,
    I have my interview next week. I ago a mail from PAS asking if I would like to apply for the Prison Service, no contact with prisoners. The money is ok, probably because it seems to be shift work. Has anyone else gone for the prison service ?.

May I ask about what position you came as I did not get this email from PAS......

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westmeath11

May I ask about what position you came as I did not get this email from PAS......
    low 600's

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Houdini212

Apparently a good chunk of people did not show up for training at people point. I forget the exact figure I was told but it was circa 70%.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

This thread is not for discussing the work procedures or similar in PS; this is about applications and discussion around said applications only. If you got an issue with PS I recommend another forum because it's not tolerated here.

//MOD

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Phantasos

Nody wrote: »
    //MOD

This thread is not for discussing the work procedures or similar in PS; this is about applications and discussion around said applications only. If you got an issue with PS I recommend another forum because it's not tolerated here.

//MOD

There are many other threads discussing companies and what they are like to work for. I don't remember any rule that said you can discuss applications only.

It's a Work and Jobs Forum, and people with experience in clerical work were relaying their thoughts to people hoping to secure a permanent position in the sector. I don't see how that isn't relevant.

If you're afraid of Boards being sued for unsavoury remarks, then you should say exactly that, and not censor posts with a moderation ruling that doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

Houdini212 wrote: »
    Apparently a good chunk of people did not show up for training at people point. I forget the exact figure I was told but it was circa 70%.

Wow. Talk about cold feet. Grand. Moving up the panel it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

Wow. This is so rude. If they didn't want the jobs (or to work in PP) then all they had to do was reject it at the time of offering, not accept and not show up. It's quite sickening thinking of how many people got cut off the panel when it was narrowed down by results, so many who would LOVE these jobs and this lot have just wasted their opportunity, ruined it for others and also wasted so much time and resources.

But as already said - this will shift the rest of us up the list a bit faster and hopefully add more onto it too.

Phantasos wrote: »
    There are many other threads discussing companies and what they are like to work for. I don't remember any rule that said you can discuss applications only.

It's a Work and Jobs Forum, and people with experience in clerical work were relaying their thoughts to people hoping to secure a permanent position in the sector. I don't see how that isn't relevant.

If you're afraid of Boards being sued for unsavoury remarks, then you should say exactly that, and not censor posts with a moderation ruling that doesn't make sense.

I think the mod's post is aimed at the above posts slagging off the PS and those who work there, offering nothing constructive and then being snide to a poster saying they hope they come back in 10 years having changed the PS...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

My my... That's a huge number...maybe shows that the jobs sector is improving....

donna35 wrote: »
    Wow. This is so rude. If they didn't want the jobs (or to work in PP) then all they had to do was reject it at the time of offering, not accept and not show up. It's quite sickening thinking of how many people got cut off the panel when it was narrowed down by results, so many who would LOVE these jobs and this lot have just wasted their opportunity, ruined it for others and also wasted so much time and resources.

But as already said - this will shift the rest of us up the list a bit faster and hopefully add more onto it too.

A lot of people too go through the whole process not expecting to actually get an offer and then suddenly you have one and you may have to move across the country and start fresh. It'll be a big scary move for me too should I get it, but I relish the opportunity.

Hi,

Good luck with interview - in case you missed it in previous pages, make sure you're well rehearsed on the competencies they sent in the email, that you have relevant examples of each from your work history. Hope it goes well.

Re the Prison Service posts, I would imagine they've only now put in for staff from the panel so people going for the interviews now are being asked if they're interested in it. Didn't get asked about it anyway at my interview, only about the Airport jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Phantasos

SEVENTY percent? Seriously?? That's insane. It's horrible form to accept a position and not turn up, but that's a ridiculously high percentage.

I wonder what happened that they all accepted and didn't bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Glyni

I started Monday and everyone who was meant to be there was there and still is. There were a lot offered positions that couldn't start due to having to give notice etc and will be starting in January they could be the 70% you were told about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Phantasos wrote: »
    SEVENTY percent? Seriously?? That's insane. It's horrible form to accept a position and not turn up, but that's a ridiculously high percentage.

I wonder what happened that they all accepted and didn't bother?

Great news for the rest of us though.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

How long do you haven to wait before being interviewed?

Also, I'd rather not give my current employer as a reference for obvious reasons? Will they accept that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Fooker wrote: »
    How long do you haven to wait before being interviewed?

Also, I'd rather not give my current employer as a reference for obvious reasons? Will they accept that?

They're sensible decent people- who won't try to jeopardise any current employment you have. If you specify you do not want your current employer contacted for a reference (out of fear over your job security)- they will honor this request.

As to when people might be interviewed- interviews will be ongoing and possibly reopened to people further down the list- on an ongoing basis- possibly through to next March/April. After the current cohort of candidates are exhausted- and the panel is exhausted- at that stage- probably early 2016, they would call a new competition.

There is a general EO competition- to run in conjunction with the confined EO competitions in a number of government Departments, in January. Keep an eye out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

They're sensible decent people- who won't try to jeopardise any current employment you have. If you specify you do not want your current employer contacted for a reference (out of fear over your job security)- they will honor this request.

As to when people might be interviewed- interviews will be ongoing and possibly reopened to people further down the list- on an ongoing basis- possibly through to next March/April. After the current cohort of candidates are exhausted- and the panel is exhausted- at that stage- probably early 2016, they would call a new competition.

There is a general EO competition- to run in conjunction with the confined EO competitions in a number of government Departments, in January. Keep an eye out for it.

This should be much sooner - next week or two.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ezra_pound wrote: »
    This should be much sooner - next week or two.

It would be nice if you were right- but keep in mind the confined competitions (there are 12 or 13 between the diffferent Departments) that have closing dates last week/this week/the following week........ The PAS are most probably barely keeping their own heads above water- they haven't been this busy in the past decade! It may be sooner- but I'd be very surprised if it is.........

Also- I don't know whether the rumours are true or not- but congrats to the 3 COs from Education and Social Welfare- who have made their respective Department's internal AP panels. Quite a remarkable achievement- well done to them- they're a shining light to what can be achieved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Also- I don't know whether the rumours are true or not- but congrats to the 3 COs from Education and Social Welfare- who have made their respective Department's internal AP panels. Quite a remarkable achievement- well done to them- they're a shining light to what can be achieved.

Good on them...great to see..

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

If you are given a time slot for the interview how long should one expect to wait for to be called...

I have to travel up this week so I am thinking of getting to and from etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Penguin100

Fooker wrote: »
    If you are given a time slot for the interview how long should one expect to wait for to be called...

I have to travel up this week so I am thinking of getting to and from etc.

My interview was 9am so I presume it was the first slot of the day. They started on time and I was finished by 9.30.

Good luck with it.

Glyni wrote: »
    I started Monday and everyone who was meant to be there was there and still is. There were a lot offered positions that couldn't start due to having to give notice etc and will be starting in January they could be the 70% you were told about

Gis all the goss.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Glyni

jimba wrote: »
    Gis all the goss.

What do you want to know?

We're still in training at the moment. All the staff are very friendly and really helpful.

Glyni wrote: »
    What do you want to know?

We're still in training at the moment. All the staff are very friendly and really helpful.

Any word on the official starting salary. What do the new contracts entail?
    Any word on how many COs the civil service will be taking on over the next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 IKCL

With more interviews in the pipeline, is it safe to assume all previously interviewed candidates should get positions within 1-2 months?
    They must be anticipating a relatively high number of staff being taken on.

I'm placed around 200 and have yet to hear anything since the first batch of interviews and my current job (unpaid internship) is becoming more and more of a drag as the weeks go on!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭swht

Anyone else getting sick of waiting. It's tough as people further down the panel are already a week in the job and I don't even have a start date yet. I know I said I'd like to be considered for the airport but I wasn't that pushed either way would've taken people point too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭dooey_01

gonzo.phd wrote: »
    Anyone else getting sick of waiting. It's tough as people further down the panel are already a week in the job and I don't even have a start date yet. I know I said I'd like to be considered for the airport but I wasn't that pushed either way would've taken people point too.

In the very same boat mate - wait is painful. Not too bothered if airport or not either, money better but hours worse so much of a muchness on balance. Just to know would be nice

• Advertisement

I've grown several grey hairs since I applied back in late June. And I've heard nothing since I was told I passed the interview!
    Placed mid 200s so hopeful but nervous.

Advertisement