Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Glad for the people further down the list who are now being called for interview.

But still miffed that my daughter who was twice employed as a TCO was deemed unsuccessful for the permanent CO as a result of her interview. Both departments said they were eager to have her back again, and one in particular would have been very pleased to have someone with the experience she gained returning to them, as the work is quite technical.

The good folks at Public Appointments made the decision that she was not good enough to get the job - just shows how important it is to perform well at the interview.

But then, it must be even worse for people who'd been regularly employed as TCOs but didn't make the cut at the online testing for the permanent CO.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Glad for the people further down the list who are now being called for interview.

But still miffed that my daughter who was twice employed as a TCO was deemed unsuccessful for the permanent CO as a result of her interview. Both departments said they were eager to have her back again, and one in particular would have been very pleased to have someone with the experience she gained returning to them, as the work is quite technical.

The good folks at Public Appointments made the decision that she was not good enough to get the job - just shows how important it is to perform well at the interview.

But then, it must be even worse for people who'd been regularly employed as TCOs but didn't make the cut at the online testing for the permanent CO.

:mad:

That's mad, Ted. :eek:

Is it possible she maybe came across a bit complacent in the interview, thinking she was a shoo in?

Shows the interview isn't just a formality!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Did she request feedback from her interview to see where she didn't meet the qualifying standard? The feedback given is normally very helpful.

I have 'encouraged' my daughter to request feedback, but she ( will refer to her as 'X' for clarity) says she knew she did badly in the interview. 'Like a deer in the headlights' was the phrase she used. I was abroad at the time, so she can't blame my nagging! She was really keen to get the job, and usually does well at interviews. A few years ago both herself and her sister ('Y') had TCO interviews for 'term time work'. Y had by far the better CV, a good track record with summer jobs, voluntary work, a civic award for services to her community, whereas X, who was a year older, had only a few weeks' work one previous summer. It was definitely a case of X being the weaker candidate. Both were in third level education at the time.

When Y was told she'd failed to reach the standard at interview, X wasn't even going to open her email, as she figured she must have failed too - but she didn't. The interview that Y had had was particularly tough - it was almost like the interviewers didn't believe her (true) CV, and were trying to catch her out. However the following year the Y was successful and worked ON THE COUNTER at an inner city Social Welfare Local Office for the summer.

I think although X was genuinely very keen to get the permanent CO, it's likely that she had inadequate preparation for her interview, and assumed that 'it'll be all right...it always is'. Lesson learnt - I really hope so.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I think although X was genuinely very keen to get the permanent CO, it's likely that she had inadequate preparation for her interview, and assumed that 'it'll be all right...it always is'. Lesson learnt - I really hope so.:(

I would definitely encourage her to get feedback anyway. There's always a danger of complacency with interviewing for a position you've already done (been guilty of it myself) and I found the interviews very formulaic. It was all about the competencies and your examples of them.

I hope she's gone on for the AO positions; the interview experience will stand to her if she gets that far again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 O C 2007

I just got my call this morning for permission to check references from old and existing employers. Asked if they could tell me what position it was for but all they said was it's for Dublin and thats all they know! I was number 238!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

Anyone have an idea if they are planning on rolling out recruitment for the other regions any time soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westmeath11

O C 2007 wrote: »
    I just got my call this morning for permission to check references from old and existing employers. Asked if they could tell me what position it was for but all they said was it's for Dublin and thats all they know! I was number 238!

Well done, I'd say you are delighted, just about 400 more people and I will be right behind you

A quick question to anyone already working in the Public Service - do they ask for Garda vetting on all positions? Asking because when they called this morning they asked for permission to send the Garda vetting - I am thinking for some reason they only need that for the airport jobs or am I completely wrong? Just curious and hoping it's because I am in for the airport jobs that they want the vetting done... I could be completely wrong! Not sure if I can wait until the New Year to find out what's in store for me!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As far as I know its standard.
    Normally they'd offer you a contract anyhow- subject to satisfactory Garda vetting (as it can take literally months for Garda vetting to come back). I'm not aware of anyone ever failing the Garda vetting- but then again- people are hardly likely to go for jobs that they know they'll be vetted on- if they have something on record that is likely to torpedo their application?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 emcnamee

dooey_01 wrote: »
    Anyone ranked in top 25 been officially offered a post?

Not I.

Meathlass wrote: »
    I would definitely encourage her to get feedback anyway. There's always a danger of complacency with interviewing for a position you've already done (been guilty of it myself) and I found the interviews very formulaic. It was all about the competencies and your examples of them.

I hope she's gone on for the AO positions; the interview experience will stand to her if she gets that far again.

No, she didn't go for AO (and I don't think there'd be any point as she hasn't got expertise or a qualification in any of the mentioned areas), but hopefully she'll apply for EO.

I must have said 'competencies' 100 times to her in the weeks before her interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

I was outside the first 887 who got to the supervised tests but got an invite yesterday to sit the test this month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

It seems an age ago that those of us sub 887 were preparing for the supervised tests.

Good luck all. And yes, there will be an awkward silence as the candidates gather for the tests in the welcoming area of PAS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Letter of appointment arrive for immigration job this morning. Nearly there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Sup08

O C 2007 wrote: »
    A quick question to anyone already working in the Public Service - do they ask for Garda vetting on all positions? Asking because when they called this morning they asked for permission to send the Garda vetting - I am thinking for some reason they only need that for the airport jobs or am I completely wrong?

The Majority of jobs in the PS require Garda vetting.
    I am 2 years a TCO and was Garda vetted every time.

I only cam across this thread today and was ranked around 700 after stage 1 and ranked under 150 after stage 2.

I only found out today (by post), I made the ICO in the Airport. No start date mentioned but hopefully soon.
    They did not inform me of Garda vetting but did mention security clearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭dooey_01

Letter of appointment arrive for immigration job this morning. Nearly there!

same as...still no start date tho ;/

Well done all of you on the Immigration appointment... I can probably safely assume I won't be getting that appointment letter seeing as they only called me yesterday to ask for permission to contact references and send off garda vetting - they never mentioned the airport... ah well... let's see what else they have in store for me!!! Best of luck everyone!

Got the call last 24 hours. Asked if I were still interested in Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Got the letter and email from Immigration today for the airport.

Lots more information in it. Would have been useful to have that before we were asked whether we were interested in the position or not.

They're looking for 70 people in total to operate the shift roster but no start date yet. I'll ring them on Monday to decline.

There doesn't seem to be a preferential queue for entering airside so you can add another 30 mins commuting at peak time to your day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Lots more information in it. Would have been useful to have that before we were asked whether we were interested in the position or not.

They're looking for 70 people in total to operate the shift roster but no start date yet. I'll ring them on Monday to decline.

There doesn't seem to be a preferential queue for entering airside so you can add another 30 mins commuting at peak time to your day.

There is a staff entrance to get airside in both terminals, takes 2 minutes. I used to work there

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭swht

Sounds very inflexible in relation to leave etc, I'm having second thoughts about whether the extra money is worth it. At least we can refuse and still be considered for other roles. I wonder would it bring us back to the top of the queue and next available clerical officer position or the end of the panel.

Can ye throw up more details of immigration post you recently got by email?
    It seems like a dream job.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭swht

jimba wrote: »
    Can ye throw up more details of immigration post you recently got by email?
    It seems like a dream job.

Basically checking passports and visas, deciding whether to grant entry to people. 10 hour shifts covering 24hours 7 days a week. Lots of initial training in the classroom and supervision for the first few weeks at the airport. Extra 25% on top of clerical officer pay due to the shift work.

Also the note I got in the email indicated pay for clerical officers will be 21345 as suggested by others here before, instead of the 20859 originally stated when the job was advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 nukie1978

Why in particular are you going to decline it, may I ask? The shift rota doesn't bother me, I've honestly done far worse. Neither does working bank holidays, when I'll be having 3 days off every week.

With the shift allowance and extra pay for bank holidays, annual salary would be better than a regular EO position. Easier to get to than a lot of places, and 3 days off a week. Plus, the time I'd save commuting every week from Meath to the airport (as compared to getting to the city centre) would be at least equivalent to a working day.

Plus, regularly having 3 days off midweek and working at the airport opens up real opportunities to take full advantage of Ryanair's cheapest flights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 charmed22

hi i have a quick query.
    i have been called for an interview for ballbriggan and clonskeagh areas for temporary termtime
    in the next week or so im declining ballbriggan as a too far a commute
    but im am in the process of going away in jan earlish to midweek for a week
    im in knots in what to do.
    explain to them but not available on those dates.
    or just chance so hard any infomation would be grateful
    and the person that im going on holidays with would kill me if she thought i was cancelling it its all book and paid for.x
    thanksx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

charmed22 wrote: »
    hi i have a quick query.
    i have been called for an interview for ballbriggan and clonskeagh areas for temporary termtime
    in the next week or so im declining ballbriggan as a too far a commute
    but im am in the process of going away in jan earlish to midweek for a week
    im in knots in what to do.
    explain to them but not available on those dates.
    or just chance so hard any infomation would be grateful
    and the person that im going on holidays with would kill me if she thought i was cancelling it its all book and paid for.x
    thanksx

Holidays or a Job?

Id take the Job personally!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jobseekr1

Hi folks,
    I see Temporary Clerical roles are advertised from time to time. Typically, how long are these roles for.
    I saw jobs advertised in Balbriggan, in the Passport Office.
    It appears that these roles appear on an annual basis, what is the minimum contract they would give for these roles?
    If these type of roles appear on an annual basis, would they not just take back people who were temporary twelve months earlier?
    Also, if you are a temporary clerical worker can you apply for 'internal' CO/EO/AO campaigns, for existing staff?
    Having read this and other thread it seems some Temporary CO's didn't make the CO interview stage/progress which seemed odd..surely it would give you fast-tracking?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

jobseekr1 wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I see Temporary Clerical roles are advertised from time to time. Typically, how long are these roles for.
    I saw jobs advertised in Balbriggan, in the Passport Office.
    It appears that these roles appear on an annual basis, what is the minimum contract they would give for these roles?
    If these type of roles appear on an annual basis, would they not just take back people who were temporary twelve months earlier?
    Also, if you are a temporary clerical worker can you apply for 'internal' CO/EO/AO campaigns, for existing staff?
    Having read this and other thread it seems some Temporary CO's didn't make the CO interview stage/progress which seemed odd..surely it would give you fast-tracking?

Would you not have been better posting this in the TEMPORARY Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭dooey_01

Everyone for airport send their acceptance letters back then?..Tis gone very quiet here...

Advertisement