Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 shoobz

dooey_01 wrote: »
    anyone for ICO posts startin the 26th Jan?...lunch date? lol

Two more for lunch here!

Any idea how long we'll be with the INIS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭dooey_01

shoobz wrote: »
    Two more for lunch here!

Any idea how long we'll be with the INIS?

ah deadly...no idea really...vague memory of 5 weeks training but ya know yourself...feckin €1200 for a one bed near town...bargain

ah deadly...no idea really...vague memory of 5 weeks training but ya know yourself...feckin €1200 for a one bed near town...bargain

€1250 for a two bed in Swords. Luckily Boyfriend and I both got the job so at least we're both close to the Airport.

Still, coming from Sligo, 1250 is a massive number.

Looking forward to meeting 68 new co-workers soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭swht

One more for lunch! Who's paying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭dooey_01

gonzo.phd wrote: »
    One more for lunch! Who's paying?

last one in pays :p

• Advertisement

last one in pays :p

I was going to say the DoJ, but that works too!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Codymac14

Any room left at the table?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Another one here!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

See ye there Gents

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

€1200??? A month!?

*Whistles*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Sup08

Another here :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Anyone here who got invited to the assessments in the second round get any word on their results yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lizzy09

Hi jade, no I'm also waiting to hear back from supervised tests in December.. They did say January (i think early) but hoping we'll all hear by the end of next week. Fingers crossed as feels like it was forever ago and would rather just know now.. Little impatient lol

lizzy09 wrote: »
    Hi jade, no I'm also waiting to hear back from supervised tests in December.. They did say January (i think early) but hoping we'll all hear by the end of next week. Fingers crossed as feels like it was forever ago and would rather just know now.. Little impatient lol

Hi Lizzy,
    Yeah I remember they said the results would be out the beginning of January. In fairness, they were probably closed up until a few days after New Years so I'd say it might be a few more days waiting. Good to know I'm not the only one biting my fingernails here haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lizzy09

Jade182 wrote: »
    Hi Lizzy,
    Yeah I remember they said the results would be out the beginning of January. In fairness, they were probably closed up until a few days after New Years so I'd say it might be a few more days waiting. Good to know I'm not the only one biting my fingernails here haha!

Exactly what I was thinking, they would only be back at work a few days, so it would be unlikely they could let us know so soon. Def hoping we will know by the end of next week but in fairness would rather good news if had to wait a little longer for it :) Best of luck to you, hopefully we both do well and get through to interviews!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Penguin100

This really is dragging out.

One of my referees was called on 20th December. I was speaking to another one of them today for the first time since before Christmas and I asked her if she had received a call. She had but missed it and when she returned the call the guy was on leave. I think she might have forgotten about it as she said I must try again or something vague like that when I asked her about it.

I just want to know one way or another at this stage:-)

Penguin100 wrote: »
    This really is dragging out.

One of my referees was called on 20th December. I was speaking to another one of them today for the first time since before Christmas and I asked her if she had received a call. She had but missed it and when she returned the call the guy was on leave. I think she might have forgotten about it as she said I must try again or something vague like that when I asked her about it.

I just want to know one way or another at this stage:-)

All of my references were called in early November and I didn't hear until the 12th of December. It seems to really depend on who is doing the calling, some seem to be faster than others. I wouldn't worry, as long as your references are being called, it's coming up for you.

All of my references were called in early November and I didn't hear until the 12th of December. It seems to really depend on who is doing the calling, some seem to be faster than others. I wouldn't worry, as long as your references are being called, it's coming up for you.

Thanks for that, good to know. I will more than likely have to decline and wait for my Kildare place to come up but I might be lucky with the Dublin location.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AshF22

Im 323 and got a call this afternoon from a lady in the PAS to ask can she call my references so there still moving forward. She couldn't give me any information on when or what department but wants to have my references and clearance sorted now for when a vacancy arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Catuohy89

Just got a call directly from people point offering a position starting the 19th of January. We've just moved to kildare and I'm only learning to drive so no idea what to do. Feel like crying the one place I didn't want an offer from . I've a 10 month old baby so the thought of commuting 2 hours a day. Going to ring pas in the morning and see about the kildare panel.

• Advertisement

Exactly what I was thinking, they would only be back at work a few days, so it would be unlikely they could let us know so soon. Def hoping we will know by the end of next week but in fairness would rather good news if had to wait a little longer for it :) Best of luck to you, hopefully we both do well and get through to interviews!!

Best of luck to you too Lizzy! :)

Catuohy89 wrote: »
    Just got a call directly from people point offering a position starting the 19th of January. We've just moved to kildare and I'm only learning to drive so no idea what to do. Feel like crying the one place I didn't want an offer from . I've a 10 month old baby so the thought of commuting 2 hours a day. Going to ring pas in the morning and see about the kildare panel.

They're not giving you a lot of time to think about it, bloody hell!

What position were you on the Kildare panel? It is annoying the way these jobs are done, you're just a number which means they could miss out on great staff because somebody less qualified happened to be ready at the time. Very frustrating.

That would be a nightmare for me too.

I was around 140 on the Kildare panel so not holding out too much hope on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Magellan2015

They're going to be taking people on in batches over the next while, so ask them to push out the starting date as much as they can. They're having difficulty getting people there, cause it's not convenient to a lot of people (before Christmas, 50 people were supposed to start but only 27 actually arrived). This will give you time to make arrangements, and take more driving lessons. If they bullsh1t you on the phone (likely), put it in writing to them by email, explaining that you need to organise childcare transport, and need more time. They can push it out by at least a week, and probably another month.

Aside from that, consider getting a fold up bicycle to take on the bus/train so you can cycle out of town— or better yet if you're getting the bus, hop off at the Red Cow and get the Luas for a few stops and then cycle. Not exactly ideal, but it'll cut a good bit off your commute until you're comfortable driving— they have showers there, and bike parking. Once you're comfortable driving up, it's generally ok when you get as far as the M50 once you're not smack bank in the middle of rush hour; and with flexi-time, you can arrive between 8am and 10am, so no particular reason why you should be travelling in the middle of rush-hour.

Also, remember that you're entitled to 90 days parental leave per child, and the civil service tends to be very accommodating in this regard. Once you're in and you've your contract signed, you can tell them you'd like to take 1 day a weeks parental leave and the likelihood is they'll let you, even if you're just in the door. You might be down €50 net max a week in income (possibly less, depending if you're married and sharing tax credits etc), but you'll probably be saving enough in childcare and travel costs to mitigate that somewhat.

In the longer term, the permanent-pensionable position is too good to pass up, I would suggest. Even in the short to medium term, there's not that many jobs which will let you come and go as convenient (within reason), take parental leave 1 day a week (they're only obliged to let you take in blocks of 6 weeks or more) and reduce your working week to suit yourself (again, within reason).

There were 28,000 applicants for a reason.

They're not giving you a lot of time to think about it, bloody hell!

What position were you on the Kildare panel? It is annoying the way these jobs are done, you're just a number which means they could miss out on great staff because somebody less qualified happened to be ready at the time. Very frustrating.
    The kildare Wicklow panel I think I was about 80. I'd be hoping most of the people ahead of me had Dublin too and took a job. And even then I could be placed further away again.

Sounds stupid but I'm so upset. Using public transport would take 2.5 hours so it's just not an option. I couldn't leave my baby that long everyday.We don't even have a car at the moment ours is broke and we only have one income at the moment so not much for saving for a car.

I have no idea what to do. I really want to take it but I dunno how to work it out. Moving isn't an option as we have a year lease and I don't want to move my little boy again. :-( so annoying. We moved because we couldn't afford Dublin rent with one income.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 OzzieRules

I'm living in Co Kildare and I expect to get an offer from Dublin in next month or two. I have been advised by some civil servants I know NOT to take people point if I get offered it as it's not a great place to work. That, plus the distance would make me refuse an offer there and hope for the best with Kildare panel (I'm in 90's on panel). Hopefully I won't be offered people point though. Good luck with your decision Catuohy89

Thanks. I rang pas and there looking into it for me. The girl i was talking tovwqs lovely and really understanding. So just waiting to hear back from them!!
    I really want a job in the civil service. I haven't found a career or anything I want to do and I've worked in bars for years and I just want a better life for all of us.
    I don't mind up to an hour of commuting but anymore I can't. I'm already freaking out at the thoughts of leaving my baby for work. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

They would have been back in work on December 29th though with a reduced staff level.

gazzer wrote: »
    They would have been back in work on December 29th though with a reduced staff level.

According to themselves, they reopened last Friday, the 2nd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Angelina Ballerina

I am placed 330 something and got a call today regarding references. So they are really flying through the numbers. I am hoping I'm not offered people point as that location would be a nightmare for me.
    I have a feeling childcare and commuting costs are going to eat up most of my salary but I'm trying to think long term about it.

Advertisement