Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

shoobz wrote: »
    According to themselves, they reopened last Friday, the 2nd.

Very odd. All government departments as far as I know opened on Dec 29th. I was back that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 paul 27

Catuohy89 wrote: »
    Just got a call directly from people point offering a position starting the 19th of January. We've just moved to kildare and I'm only learning to drive so no idea what to do. Feel like crying the one place I didn't want an offer from . I've a 10 month old baby so the thought of commuting 2 hours a day. Going to ring pas in the morning and see about the kildare panel.

can I ask what was your number in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Starry12

Just spoke to a helpful lady in PAS and she informed me that at no. 411 on the panel, I can expect to hear from them in the next month. They're going through the clearance process at the moment and she said it is long and tedious but there are a lot of jobs. Peoplepoint is filling up apparently so fingers crossed its full before they get to me.

Here's hoping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lizzy09

gazzer wrote: »
    Very odd. All government departments as far as I know opened on Dec 29th. I was back that day.

Thats great news if they were. Unfortunately either way they wouldn't have been back in work very long. There was less than a week between the time the supervised tests ended and Christmas day and there back approx a week now so that's still less than two weeks in total. The first round of supervised tests seemed to take about 3 weeks until people were notified of the results. So I would think it would definitely be the end of next week or even possibly the start of the following week going by the previous standard.
    Of course this is all a guessing game so I think I might just have to wait patiently and hopefully find out soon :) Although that's easier said than done, patience has never been a strong suit of mine!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭DuchessduJour

Nikki2302 wrote: »
    Just spoke to a helpful lady in PAS and she informed me that at no. 411 on the panel, I can expect to hear from them in the next month. They're going through the clearance process at the moment and she said it is long and tedious but there are a lot of jobs. Peoplepoint is filling up apparently so fingers crossed its full before they get to me.

Here's hoping!!

Oh wow, I'm in the 440s so this gives me hope of hearing something relatively soon! To be honest I wasn't even really thinking that anything would come of this for me, so hadn't weighed it up all that much and was considering pursuing qualification as a solicitor, looks like I'll have to think about that seriously sooner rather than later! Very best of luck, hope you hear something soon and you get somewhere other than Peoplepoint :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 jobseekr1

Hi folks,
    Regarding the AO/EO/CO recruitment processes, if in an application form you are asked to state examples based on competencies etc, are the competencies at the interview the same as the ones on your initial application form? Do you just develop these at the interview?
    My understanding of the Competency based interview is that they want lots of egs, when ‘I’ did something etc?
    Also, what are the most common competency questions?
    Or could a AO/EO/CO interview be unstructured?
    Also, would the leave entitlements for the grades of AO/EO/CO be common across the public sector for new entrants, or could they be different depending on department etc?
    What are the leave entitlements for AO/EO/CO grades starting out?
    Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Glyni

Hey guys, I started in peoplepoint in November and like all of you was dreading it because of all the bad things I'd heard about it. The reality is very different I've found it a great place to work. Ok location is not ideal unless you live in clonskeagh but it's not the worst either flexitime makes the commute more manageable. Word is they're starting 30 people on each of the next 3 Monday's.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Ciaran

jobseekr1 wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Regarding the AO/EO/CO recruitment processes, if in an application form you are asked to state examples based on competencies etc, are the competencies at the interview the same as the ones on your initial application form? Do you just develop these at the interview?
    They didn't ask for anything like that on an application form for CO that I can remember.
    My understanding of the Competency based interview is that they want lots of egs, when ‘I’ did something etc?
    Also, what are the most common competency questions?
    Or could a AO/EO/CO interview be unstructured?
    The CO interview was all competency based "give me an example of you working in a team" type questions. The information they gave for the interview had 4 competencies on it (some had sub-parts to them) and they asked for one example from each of those in the interview.
    What are the leave entitlements for AO/EO/CO grades starting out?
    22 days on top of public holidays for CO, don't know if it's different for other grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Catuohy89

paul 27 wrote: »
    can I ask what was your number in dublin?

Haven't heard back from pas so will have to wait until Monday to call them .

So in limbo for what to do. There's no way I could start on the 19th I'd be leaving at 6.30 latest to get in for 9 and not home until 7.30. Leaving me with 30 mins max with my little man a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

gazzer wrote: »

As was I - and to my knowledge, all civil service locations were open on 29/12.

I worked a half-day on Christmas Eve, and back on the 29th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Oh wow, I'm in the 440s so this gives me hope of hearing something relatively soon... looks like I'll have to think about that seriously sooner rather than later! Very best of luck, hope you hear something soon and you get somewhere other than Peoplepoint :)

470s here, hope it's soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

My daughter was 422. But didn't pass the interview. (Have moaned on here previously about how it was strange she didn't pass the interview despite the fact that she'd a lot going for her - not least two successful TCO term-time positions). I'm just disappoined that she's missed out, because when she was going for the interview, she was really keen to get the job....(now she's probably turned off for life:rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Magellan2015

Catuohy89 wrote: »

Haven't heard back from pas so will have to wait until Monday to call them .

I suggest you email them, and tell them exactly what your difficulty is. A phone call can easily be ignored; if it's in writing it's on the record what you're asking for, and why.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

Any news whatsoever on the other regions I reckon I am 140 or so for Clare/Galway? I'd rather wait for that than go to Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CorkCountyMrs

Hi all,
    Anyone from Cork heard anything yet? I'm in the 500s so can't imagine I'll get a call anytime soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MommySquish

Hi all,
    Anyone from Cork heard anything yet? I'm in the 500s so can't imagine I'll get a call anytime soon!!

I'm in the late 200's in Cork and heard nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CorkCountyMrs

I'm in the late 200's in Cork and heard nothing yet.

Wonder when they're gonna start calling on people. Do you have any idea how many positions are going?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭paddycakes

I'm in the 50s for Cork so I'm hopeful they'll start contacting people soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭eroc79

It would be nice if we were told if there will be jobs in cork region in the near future. Complete silence is torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

eroc79 wrote: »
    It would be nice if we were told if there will be jobs in cork region in the near future. Complete silence is torture.

Maybe try ring Pas and just ask if there will be recruitment anytime soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 clunge

Hi all,

anybody who has applied for the midlands hear anything about the stage 2 exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westmeath11

clunge wrote: »
    Hi all,

anybody who has applied for the midlands hear anything about the stage 2 exam?

No, nothing from the midlands, I had it as my number 1 but decided to go with the Dublin region

• Registered Users Posts: 31 O C 2007

In Dublin... My current employer was contacted Friday and so was a friend of mine's employer for references - looks like they are hammering through the numbers in Dublin! I am 238 and my friend is about 300.... Just wonder how long we will have to wait now to hear anything!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 waster666

Has anybody had any trouble getting a reference off their current employer? I've a feeling mine won't appreciate that I've gone behind his back looking for other jobs.

And has anybody that has now started in their new clerical offices role had any problems with booking holidays off? I've a big holiday booked for September and have paid a big non refundable deposit so I'm hoping and praying that I will still be able to go if I get this civil service job!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

waster666 wrote: »
    Has anybody had any trouble getting a reference off their current employer? I've a feeling mine won't appreciate that I've gone behind his back looking for other jobs.

And has anybody that has now started in their new clerical offices role had any problems with booking holidays off? I've a big holiday booked for September and have paid a big non refundable deposit so I'm hoping and praying that I will still be able to go if I get this civil service job!

It'd be a very foolish employer who would try to impede an employee by playing silly buggers with a reference - you could sue the arse off them, and they should know that..!

As for holidays, September shouldn't be a problem in most areas, as the school holiday period tends to see peak demand for leave, and that'll be past.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 clunge

No, nothing from the midlands, I had it as my number 1 but decided to go with the Dublin region

ah sound was starting to get worried, i was going to put down dublin but just couldn't see myself being able to live on those wages and have to rent aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Danielle D

Would you not just tell your current employer that they were going to contact him. Thats what I had to do as PAS called me on Thurs to say they needed references so I had to approach my current boss and tell her they were going to be in touch as they were considering me for a position. I'm with her a long time and didn't want it to come as a total surprise. Luckily she took it well and understands why I would choose the stability of a role in the civil service. PAS called her Fri morning for reference asking basic stuff like timekeeping, sick leave etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

I'm hoping the holidays won't be a problem either - my sister has booked ours for July without even thinking about the fact that I'd be starting work soon, she just got her dates from work and booked it. I've been informed of where I will be and am just waiting for the HR from there to be in touch to give me a starting date etc and will tell them then about the holiday and ask if it's ok. Non-refundable deposit paid here too. Getting worried they might say no as it'd be peak holiday time in most places I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 O C 2007

donna35 wrote: »
    I'm hoping the holidays won't be a problem either - my sister has booked ours for July without even thinking about the fact that I'd be starting work soon, she just got her dates from work and booked it. I've been informed of where I will be and am just waiting for the HR from there to be in touch to give me a starting date etc and will tell them then about the holiday and ask if it's ok. Non-refundable deposit paid here too. Getting worried they might say no as it'd be peak holiday time in most places I would imagine.

Donna, I know exactly how you are feeling and I am in the same boat... I am going to Australia in 9 weeks for 3 weeks. My employer was called on Friday for a reference so I am hoping that I will know soon as to where and when as I need to inform them! My flights are booked since last August and to be honest I would hope that PAS will be empathetic towards people who have plans made... at the end of the day I don't think I ever expected to get the job! Plus the process has taken so long I am sure that PAS will understand that we all have plans etc that were made before appointment!! Thats what I am hoping anyway! I will keep you posted. As soon as they contact me to offer me a position I will tell them about the holiday first thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

O C 2007 wrote: »
    Donna, I know exactly how you are feeling and I am in the same boat... I am going to Australia in 9 weeks for 3 weeks. My employer was called on Friday for a reference so I am hoping that I will know soon as to where and when as I need to inform them! My flights are booked since last August and to be honest I would hope that PAS will be empathetic towards people who have plans made... at the end of the day I don't think I ever expected to get the job! Plus the process has taken so long I am sure that PAS will understand that we all have plans etc that were made before appointment!! Thats what I am hoping anyway! I will keep you posted. As soon as they contact me to offer me a position I will tell them about the holiday first thing!

It has nothing to do with PAS, it's a matter for the local management in whatever Dept you get sent to.

TBH I don't see them taking issue with people's longstanding holiday arrangements - they'll just be so glad to be getting new staff that they've probably been waiting years for...

Advertisement