Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Catuohy89

I'm raging. I'm off the panel now because I couldn't take the position in people point due to a 2.5 hour commute each way. I can't move as we have a 10 Month old and my partner works. We did move to kildare since applying(we couldn't afford rent on one wage) but the commute even from where I was from would be 2 hours nearly. Im so annoyed people's location isn't considered. I understand they can't cater for everyone but surely if you have circumstandces like this they should allow you stay on the panel. I'm so upset I really wanted this job I wanted to start a proper job and stability. I know am holding out got the kildare positions but they have no idea how long it will be before they get into them. I'm really devasted :-(
    the girl on the phone was lovely and I know it's Out of her hands. She did send me an email and ask me to give my reasons in writing and shell do what she can do :-(

I was holding put for this position which was probably silly of me. But now on a serious job hunt. Which I think will be hard as most of my experience is in hospitality :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bec123

I'm number 383 on the panel and got a call today to ask if I was still interested and that they'd be starting the clearance process. So seems like they're moving through the panel quick!

The next few weeks will be an anxious wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Danielle D

Catuohy89 wrote: »
    I'm raging. I'm off the panel now because I couldn't take the position in people point due to a 2.5 hour commute each way. I can't move as we have a 10 Month old and my partner works. We did move to kildare since applying(we couldn't afford rent on one wage) but the commute even from where I was from would be 2 hours nearly. Im so annoyed people's location isn't considered. I understand they can't cater for everyone but surely if you have circumstandces like this they should allow you stay on the panel. I'm so upset I really wanted this job I wanted to start a proper job and stability. I know am holding out got the kildare positions but they have no idea how long it will be before they get into them. I'm really devasted :-(
    the girl on the phone was lovely and I know it's Out of her hands. She did send me an email and ask me to give my reasons in writing and shell do what she can do :-(

I was holding put for this position which was probably silly of me. But now on a serious job hunt. Which I think will be hard as most of my experience is in hospitality :-(

Sorry I know this is probably a stupid question but are you saying that if you don't accept the first position they offer you are knocked off the panel? I'm waiting to hear back from them as they checked my references last week and would prefer not to have a big commute either so I was wondering what happens if you don't accept....I was kind of hoping that you'd just get returned to the panel, or bottom of the panel, rather than be disregarded immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ciartastix

I'm number 381 and heard nothing as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭swht

Bec123 wrote: »
    I'm number 383 on the panel and got a call today to ask if I was still interested and that they'd be starting the clearance process. So seems like they're moving through the panel quick!

Just a warning to you and all those that were contacted about references. I was contacted in early November and they immediately checked references, My start date is the 26th of January so it may be a long wait. Seems to depend on the department though for example some in people point seemed to start very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 paul 27

I am 342 have not heard anything yet going to email them today they are jumping all over the order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Danielle D wrote: »
    Sorry I know this is probably a stupid question but are you saying that if you don't accept the first position they offer you are knocked off the panel? I'm waiting to hear back from them as they checked my references last week and would prefer not to have a big commute either so I was wondering what happens if you don't accept....I was kind of hoping that you'd just get returned to the panel, or bottom of the panel, rather than be disregarded immediately.

refusing a job offer removes you from the relevant panel, with the exception of the airport job

gonzo.phd wrote: »
    Just a warning to you and all those that were contacted about references. I was contacted in early November and they immediately checked references, My start date is the 26th of January so it may be a long wait. Seems to depend on the department though for example some in people point seemed to start very quickly.

that would actually suit me as I have already committed to correcting mock exams end of feb/beginning of march

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Magellan2015

Catuohy89 wrote: »

As I suggested before, put it in writing and you may have a chance of getting another assignment. I strongly suggest that you do NOT actually reject the offer— once you've formally rejected it, that's it. But if you leave it open for the moment, neither accepting nor rejecting, then you can be moved around in Dublin (possibly) but importantly you won't be taken off the panel for Kildare by reason of accepting a Dublin offer.

My advice is to ignore PeoplePoint— tell them neither yay or nay on the phone or by email. Just tell them you can't talk if they phone. As long as you stay in limbo, you have a chance of reassignment on the Dublin panel, if you commit one way or another you may be screwing yourself out of that possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

Apparently people will start to be called for the other regions within the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Catuohy89

Fooker wrote: »
    Apparently people will start to be called for the other regions within the next few weeks.
    Where did you hear this?

I emailed pas today and got a reply. Need to send them proof of new address etc. There going to see can they do anything. I told the girl from people point I'd ring her today but not sure what to do. Should I contact her or leave it to pas. I don't mind commuting around an hour as I use to do it. And at least I'd have a couple of hours in the evening with my little man

If you reject an offer your off the panel for that region.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Beginner to this

This would be great if it happens, been so long since we got first round results. Really anxious to hear something. Did you contact PAS to find this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Starry12

Got the call for permission to check references just after lunchtime today. I'm no 411.... ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 28 DetteDublin

Nikki2302 wrote: »
    Got the call for permission to check references just after lunchtime today. I'm no 411.... ☺

OMG, I just behind you then! But from reading some other replies, I wonder why they are jumping some numbers??

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

OMG, I just behind you then! But from reading some other replies, I wonder why they are jumping some numbers??

I'm sure they must take into account where people live? And you'd think in the interview they'd recommend that you be placed in a certain type of role?

I'm sure they must take into account where people live? And you'd think in the interview they'd recommend that you be placed in a certain type of role?

I would agree with the above. surely common sense comes into play when choosing where to place people.

They definitely don't take into account where you live. I asked that and they said they couldn't possibly or they'd never get through the placements.

I do imagine that at interview stage we may have been recommended for a certain type of job which may explain the jumping around in the numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

O C 2007 wrote: »
    Donna, I know exactly how you are feeling and I am in the same boat... I am going to Australia in 9 weeks for 3 weeks. My employer was called on Friday for a reference so I am hoping that I will know soon as to where and when as I need to inform them! My flights are booked since last August and to be honest I would hope that PAS will be empathetic towards people who have plans made... at the end of the day I don't think I ever expected to get the job! Plus the process has taken so long I am sure that PAS will understand that we all have plans etc that were made before appointment!! Thats what I am hoping anyway! I will keep you posted. As soon as they contact me to offer me a position I will tell them about the holiday first thing!

Thank you, yes please do let me know. Hope they're ok with your holidays too.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

It has nothing to do with PAS, it's a matter for the local management in whatever Dept you get sent to.

TBH I don't see them taking issue with people's longstanding holiday arrangements - they'll just be so glad to be getting new staff that they've probably been waiting years for...

Hope that you are right, it does seem like they'd accommodate people where they can, most employers would.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 seanf88

Hey Bec, I'm wondering is that number correct for you, as my stage 2 results had me at 383 as well.

Just a bit worried now that there has been a mess up and I'm not actually qualfied:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭eroc79

seanf88 wrote: »
    Hey Bec, I'm wondering is that number correct for you, as my stage 2 results had me at 383 as well.

Just a bit worried now that there has been a mess up and I'm not actually qualfied:(

There could be a few people on the same score. It just tells you that x amount of people scored better than you.

Does anybody know if they check all 3 references or if 2 out of 3 might be enough. Beginning to think I might have a problem with my 3rd one...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 shoobz

Nikki2302 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if they check all 3 references or if 2 out of 3 might be enough. Beginning to think I might have a problem with my 3rd one...

They only checked two of my references, but they rang me to see if I could provide contact details for a fourth. If you contact them and say you're having trouble getting in contact with your reference and could you provide a different one they should be ok.

Hey, just got the call from PAC - at No. 418. Dreading telling the boss ... but looking forward to handing in my notice! (Not doing that yet though).

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Penguin100

Hey, just got the call from PAC - at No. 418. Dreading telling the boss ... but looking forward to handing in my notice! (Not doing that yet though).

Great news, they really are flying through them. I was 310 and only got the call the week before Christmas. Mind you, have heard nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 O C 2007

Once your references are checked, does anyone know if you receive a phone call from the HR Department of where you're going or do you get news by post? Checking my phone constantly here!

Penguin100 wrote: »
    Great news, they really are flying through them. I was 310 and only got the call the week before Christmas. Mind you, have heard nothing since.

Oh! Well that just burst my bubble at bit! Wonder what the hold up is? I don't to be telling her on one hand I'm going and then it being dragged out for months!

Penguin100 wrote: »

Oh! Well that just burst my bubble at bit! Wonder what the hold up is? I don't want to be telling her on one hand I'm going and then it being dragged out for months!

I got a call today straight from hr in expenditure and reform about a job in people point starting February 2nd!!!. I received no call in from pas about contacting my references or any other other form of notification before this which I'm shocked about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭swht

O C 2007 wrote: »
    Once your references are checked, does anyone know if you receive a phone call from the HR Department of where you're going or do you get news by post? Checking my phone constantly here!

In my case it was email followed up by post, it was a few weeks before I heard from DOJ though and again to let everyone know it will have been almost 3 months between references being checked and starting the job in my case.

Advertisement