Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LG G3 Availability in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Have this phone over 10 days and not a single restart

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

funnyclub wrote: »
    So my G3 has powered down twice since i got it. Anyone know what the fix for this is if there is one?

Iv had the same issue...4 times in 3 weeks...nothing major.

Im putting it down to bad apps...i had it as new for a week..only when i started adding apps i got issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

Ya it turned out to be the ap 'good for enterprise' it can be used to recieve emails from my job. I got rid of it last night and the drain slowed down. Its now 2hrs since i unplugged it and im still at 100% so im happier now.

Thats good , there is always something in the background draining something with andriod,been around it long enough to know that love andriod but in ways it resembles the old nokia firmware symbia with its random shut downs and bluetooth lag aand stuff....

I had avg on the phone recently and it was a hog for the battery and othere resources but after uninstalling it everything went back to normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Hi i did but im giving this a try 1st.

https://viksaaskool.wordpress.com/2014/09/24/lg-g3-random-shutdown-issue-and-how-to-fix-it/

Tonight i installed lg suite and i checked for upgrade. Now even though my phone had no OTA upgrade lg suite had one and i upgraded to V10I-EUR-XX

I will let you know if it solves the shutdowns.

I heard back from them today,i had the sim card reader changed in mine because i stupidly used a micro to nano sim adaptor and they have said that this is the reason for the shutdowns and i need a new motherboard, because i had it repaired its not covered under warranty so if i want them to fix the motherboard its going to cost me nearly €200

I really dont think that is causing the shutdowns but how can i know,im certainly not paying €200 for it,i actually bought a Xperia Z3 a few weeks ago and have been using that, im only looking for the G3 back so i can sell it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

I heard back from them today,i had the sim card reader changed in mine because i stupidly used a micro to nano sim adaptor and they have said that this is the reason for the shutdowns and i need a new motherboard, because i had it repaired its not covered under warranty so if i want them to fix the motherboard its going to cost me nearly €200

I really dont think that is causing the shutdowns but how can i know,im certainly not paying €200 for it,i actually bought a Xperia Z3 a few weeks ago and have been using that, im only looking for the G3 back so i can sell it on.

Thats a pity mate. But i have a micro sim in mine and i stillhad shutdowns so they are chancing their arm there.
    I only updated software version last night but ive had no shutdowns yet.
    I'll keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 seadal

Hi all. I decided to go for the G3 32gb from eGlobal now at €399 but noticed a link at the bottom of the phone description and a note from eGlobal that a particular issue with the G3 will not be covered by their warranty notably cracks appearing on the phones casing!

I can't post a link (as I am new to Boards) but the link is underneath the G3's description on the eGlobal website.

Have any of you guys experienced this?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I went with the G3 32GB from eGlobal also. Spent ages going over all the reviews of the main options for a top of the range smartphone and this came out on top for me. Hope I made the right choice

How long does it usually take to get deliveries from eGlobal? I went with Priority shipping. I'm too bloody impatient :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Thats a pity mate. But i have a micro sim in mine and i stillhad shutdowns so they are chancing their arm there.
    I'll keep you posted.

Are you still shutdown free?

LFCFan wrote: »
    How long does it usually take to get deliveries from eGlobal? I went with Priority shipping. I'm too bloody impatient :)

Its quick enough very quick tbh.

Also in sayin that priority shipping and regular shippin is the same thing from there as its free shippin sent via dhl or ups and arrives within 2 days ive ordered monday night and had it first thing wed morning

Still in two minds about the G3 - had a brief play with one in a phone shop on a recent holiday and overall was impressed especially with the compact size considering the 5.5 inch screen. The main thing I didn't like was the weird text sharpening. I understand why they're doing it but would be great to be able to turn it off. Having said that seemed to be not so noticeable (or there at all? - not sure sd only had a brief play) with black text on a white background. Rumour has it that they have addressed this in the lollipop update but I've yet to see this confirmed. Also was wondering how the battery life would compare to my OPO? Final concern was the random shutdowns.

• Advertisement

Would the back cover stand up to repeated takings on and off to swap the battery for a fully charged one? Is it easy to remove?

I'll keep you posted.

How is yours since the update?,im getting mine back tomorrow and will be updating it straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Sync

I've had the LG G3 since September, and in the first week I experienced 2 shutdowns, turns out I had the phone runtime set to ART which was giving me problems, so I reverted to Dalvik and have had 0 issues since.
    I have 2 phone cases, a spigen one which I use for work, and the quickcircle case that I use at weekends.
    The back has zero scratches/cracks on it and it has been dropped a couple of times, but not hard. It's extremely easy to take the back case off, and for anyone looking for a case I highly recommend the quickcircle case as it looks like part of the phone! :)

For anyone experiencing shutdowns, Go to settings, general, developer options.
    Select runtime: Dalvik

If it's ART, try changing it. It will take around 2-3 minutes to configure itself once you apply this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I’m looking at the dual sim (Korean version) on eglobal.

It isn’t much more expensive and the single sim version.

Does anyone have the dual sim . Does it come with google play pre installed ?

Does anyone see a disadvantage of the phone over the regular single sim European model.

Personally id stay away from it myself,not saying you should but for me it reminds me.of them copy chinese ones that are knocking around,the lg g3 is a fantastic device im sorry i got rid of it so quick,get the 32gb you wont be sorry

To answer my own query it seems that someone over on XDA developers has come up with a fix for oversharpening on the G3. Unfortunately it involves flashing a new kernel - something I've never done before. Would this invalidate the warranty?

digitaldr wrote: »
    To answer my own query it seems that someone over on XDA developers has come up with a fix for oversharpening on the G3. Unfortunately it involves flashing a new kernel - something I've never done before. Would this invalidate the warranty?

If you flash the phone, make backups of it. In the event something goes wrong and you need to use the warranty, hopefully the device is still functioning enough to revert back to original. If a company didn't want to help you out they could claim you voided the warranty by modding the phone.

Thanks sync. I know on my Moto G Motorola allowed you to unlock the bootloader via their website but recorded that you'd done it also warned you that you'd invalidated your warranty. Hopefully with the G3 if you restored it from a backup the fact that it had been rooted would be undetectable.

Sync wrote: »
    I've had the LG G3 since September, and in the first week I experienced 2 shutdowns, turns out I had the phone runtime set to ART which was giving me problems, so I reverted to Dalvik and have had 0 issues since.
    I have 2 phone cases, a spigen one which I use for work, and the quickcircle case that I use at weekends.
    The back has zero scratches/cracks on it and it has been dropped a couple of times, but not hard. It's extremely easy to take the back case off, and for anyone looking for a case I highly recommend the quickcircle case as it looks like part of the phone! :)

For anyone experiencing shutdowns, Go to settings, general, developer options.
    Select runtime: Dalvik

If it's ART, try changing it. It will take around 2-3 minutes to configure itself once you apply this.

I cant see developer options on my phone ,where exactly is it?

EDIT : quick google and i found how to get it,mine is running Dalvik already.

• Advertisement

Hi i did but im giving this a try 1st.

https://viksaaskool.wordpress.com/2014/09/24/lg-g3-random-shutdown-issue-and-how-to-fix-it/

Tonight i installed lg suite and i checked for upgrade. Now even though my phone had no OTA upgrade lg suite had one and i upgraded to V10I-EUR-XX

I will let you know if it solves the shutdowns.

I tried that and it says its up to date,is there another i can update it to V10I-EUR-XX ?

I cant see developer options on my phone ,where exactly is it?

EDIT : quick google and i found how to get it,mine is running Dalvik already.

It might be worth changing to ART to see if it helps, how often is your device shutting itself down?

Sync wrote: »
    It might be worth changing to ART to see if it helps, how often is your device shutting itself down?

Just changed it to ART,it was shutting down a few weeks ago about 1/2 times a day but recently its around once every few days

Just changed it to ART,it was shutting down a few weeks ago about 1/2 times a day but recently its around once every few days

Let me know how it goes for you, some people claim that makes the device run quicker also, but didn't work for me.

I tried that and it says its up to date,is there another i can update it to V10I-EUR-XX ?

Not sure mate but since I updated to V10I-EUR-XX I havnt had a shutdown. Is yours currently on this version?

Not sure mate but since I updated to V10I-EUR-XX I havnt had a shutdown. Is yours currently on this version?

No mine is on V10g-GLOBAL-SI but from the looks of it V10I-EUR-XX is after fixing the shutdown problems

• Advertisement

moggser wrote: »
    Its quick enough very quick tbh.

Also in sayin that priority shipping and regular shippin is the same thing from there as its free shippin sent via dhl or ups and arrives within 2 days ive ordered monday night and had it first thing wed morning

I ordered Monday and it was only picked up yesterday and I still don't have a tracking number :mad:

It wouldn't update on my Macbook so i tried it on a windows laptop this morning and it updated but now its on V10n-HKG-XX ,i had a shut down this morning so ill wait and see if this does anything.

LFCFan wrote: »
    I ordered Monday and it was only picked up yesterday and I still don't have a tracking number :mad:

Thats very strang tbh ive ordered from them 6+ times with no hassle at all, how do you know if it was picked up if you dont have a tracking number if you dont mind me asking:) also beware the chinese xmass lol

Update: still no shutdowns since updating :)

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Looking to buy the G3 soon. Do all the 32gb G3 models come with the 3gb of RAM?

• Advertisement

AFAIK yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I've ordered mine too, good price in fairness. same specs as phones over a hundred euros more expensive

It is slight OT - just after upgrading to Android 5 , few new features but nothing major, will see how good the battery life will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

rai555 wrote: »
    It is slight OT - just after upgrading to Android 5 , few new features but nothing major, will see how good the battery life will be

Was this an OTA update or did you flash it yourself. Waiting for the OTA myself. Hopefully it'll arrive soon.

slayerking wrote: »
    Was this an OTA update or did you flash it yourself. Waiting for the OTA myself. Hopefully it'll arrive soon.

It is OTA, phone from amazon.de , update just been pushed to the phone - got notice about update as always

It is OTA, phone from amazon.de , update just been pushed to the phone - got notice about update as always

Mines from eglobal and haven't seen anything yet. Hopefully I'm not too far behind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Got mine from handtec got lollipop last night

Richie6904 wrote: »
    Got mine from handtec got lollipop last night

Perfect then, fair play LG ,pushed update as promised :P

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭IamMe33

So is anyone still experiencing shutdowns after the update?

is it safe to buy one now?

IamMe33 wrote: »

Not sure what you mean safe ? Never had a single shutdown pre and post update to lollipop

• Advertisement

IamMe33 wrote: »

If you're not in a desperate rush it might be better to wait for the G4 which is rumoured to be launching at the mobile world Congress in early March.

Have to say, I'm lovin' this phone. For such a large screen it never feels like a huge phone. Since updating to Lollipop it's a lot zippier and the battery life is still pretty good. With heavy use I'll get a day out of it. I like the way LG have integrated Android 5 features in to it and their own skin doesn't intrude too much unlike the likes of Touchwiz which is just plain ugly and annoying. The camera without the flash is fairly quick and I get some excellent results. With the flash it can take a bit longer than I'd like but the results are pretty good. Would definitely recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

Are there any major issues with this lads? I'm shopping around for a possible replacement for my 1+ due to signal issues.

How's battery and camera especially?

Still waiting for the Lollypop OTA from LG *shakes fist*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

slayerking wrote: »
    Still waiting for the Lollypop OTA from LG *shakes fist*

Connect your phone to your laptop and update using the LG Support Tool.
    I have another problem I hope people can help me with. I got the 32GB 3GB RAM sim free version and there is no option for 4G in the network mode settings. I know I can download an app from the app store (have done and 4G appears but goes if you have to turn off the phone for any reason). I updated today to 5.0 but still no 4G option :mad:. Its not my sim as it is working perfectly in my old Xperia Z1 and 4G coverage is fine as wife has it on her iPhone 5. I'm stumped as there is no reason not to have the 4G option on an unlocked phone. Currently running software version V20e-EUR-XX, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Walkman wrote: »
    Connect your phone to your laptop and update using the LG Support Tool.
    I have another problem I hope people can help me with. I got the 32GB 3GB RAM sim free version and there is no option for 4G in the network mode settings. I know I can download an app from the app store (have done and 4G appears but goes if you have to turn off the phone for any reason). I updated today to 5.0 but still no 4G option :mad:. Its not my sim as it is working perfectly in my old Xperia Z1 and 4G coverage is fine as wife has it on her iPhone 5. I'm stumped as there is no reason not to have the 4G option on an unlocked phone. Currently running software version V20e-EUR-XX, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Strange enough i don't see LTE/CDMA in my menu as described here : http://support.sprint.com/support/tutorial/Turn_4G_on_or_off_LG_G3/52753-665
    or
    http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.dll/,/?New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=Device,varset_pid=13418,varset_cid=13420,Case=EXT(EM43736)

But i don't have 4G sim either

Just noticed the app I had to turn on the 4G won't work with 5.0 so I now cannot get 4G at all and the only solution online, seemed to be the app. I've emailed LG today to see what they are willing to do seeing as they are selling the phone as 4G and it's not (I understand technically it is but it should work straight away without any apps, etc...)

Just noticed the app I had to turn on the 4G won't work with 5.0 so I now cannot get 4G at all and the only solution online, seemed to be the app. I've emailed LG today to see what they are willing to do seeing as they are selling the phone as 4G and it's not (I understand technically it is but it should work straight away without any apps, etc...)

Any thoughts on how I can force 4G anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭irishchris

Exact same here since the update. You find any solution? Any word back from your email to LG?

• Advertisement

Gaaa, just having this exact same issue regarding the 4G now. OTA update to lollipop there last night and when I try to enable 4G via *#*#4636#*#* -> Phone Information I see the following:

This application does not work on this device.

So its not possible to enable 4G. If anyone figures it out, post a solution.
    Time to start Googling.

Advertisement