If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New speakers

Options
  • 20-06-2014 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi,

As my old speakers are getting REALLY old and the actual speaker units have started to crumble a bit I am thinking about getting some new ones.

Now - I am not an audiophile and I do not crave the absolute best of the best. I listen to a variety of music - mostly not loud at all. But I want to have the best sound possible for the buck of course :-)
    I have a NAD T752 (yes - a bit old too but it serves me well) and the room is ~30 square meters - the speakers have to be in a corner (i.e. wall at the backside and left/right side respectively). I want them on the floor - either as floor standing or on a stand.
    Price wise around 100-200€ (or cheaper of course)

I was looking at these
    - Q Acoustics 2020i
    - Tannoy Mercury V1i
    - Cambridge Audio SX60
    - Mission MX1
    - Mission M33i

There may of course be others - which would be my best option and what would that cost me delivered in RoI ?

Thanks in advance,
    Stone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi there, thanks for the post.

There is quite a wide range of speakers here and some of which are floorstanders and some are bookshelf.

In a room that size, I would recommend a floorstander to try to achieve the presence andf depth that a room of that size will take to fill it. I know you are not looking to pack in a party atmosphere but at the same time you don't want the speakers to sound like they are at the opposite end of a train tunnel with you at the platform at the other end. Small bookshelf speakers may sound a little lost.

If you are sticking to the budget then the Mission M33i would be the ones to look at but they are not the most refined speaker on the list, the SX60's sound amazing or the 2020i would run those a very close second. The Mission would provide a better bass with the SX60 offer a much better clarity and accurate vocal.

In saying that, with the quality of the NAD, I would not normally pair these speakers up with that as they are not good enough to get the most from the NAD.

I would be looking closer to the Cambridge S70 floostander as these are a 3 way speaker with a separate mid range, bass and tweeter and sound brilliant.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/floorstanders/cambridge-audio/s70/camb-s70-blk

I know this blows the budget but in the long term these would offer much superior performance and are a much better match for the NAD.

I hope that helps but I hope I haven't confused you !

ATB

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.