Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading from GTS 250 512mb

Options
  • 20-06-2014 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭

I've been looking high and low for a new graphics card all morning and there are just way too many to choose from. And the price of most of them are terrifying.

I have had my NVidia GeForce GTS 250 512mb for about 4 years now and it seems to be the only component of my computer that is holding me back from playing games to their fullest potential.

What graphics card can I get that is better than the one I have, but not ridiculously expensive? I wouldn't spend anywhere over €150

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭AntDub

Hi,

Wow, that Graphics card is bad compared to what's around now :)

What's the most you're looking to spend?

Below is a chart of GPU's on how they currently stand in the hierarchy Chart, obviously the higher up you go the so does the price.

www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-review,review-32899-7.html

What Watt is your Power Supply?

Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

The strongest card at that price range would be AMD R7 270x. If your PSU is too weak for the 270x, you can get the NVidia GTX 750ti.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I'm aware my GPU is pretty old.

The thing is; I had a PC between 2007 and two weeks ago as of writing this thread, so it was 7 years old. It was a Packard Bell Cuba 7301 Motherboard, as such was only capable of utilizing a 32bit OS, a maximum of 3GB of Ram and had a 1.8Ghz Dual Core CPU. It wasn't eligible for any form of overclocking, BIOS was locked.

So I couldn't upgrade anything, really. I was able to run games like Starcraft and Skyrim at a medium-high setting but had to close everything in the background and lower the resolution a bit to get it to run smooth.

My graphics card was the strongest component I had, which was the GTS 250.

The PC I have now is fairly more modern. 64bit OS, 8GB of RAM currently installed (one stick), Quad Core Processor @ 3.9Ghz and is eligible for overclocking. It has an integrated GPU but it isn't too great, so I never use it. I installed my GTS 250 instead. But it's only now that I've realized my GPU is actually a bit further behind than I thought. And since it was a very long time ago since I bought it, and haven't had the opportunity to upgrade anything for a few years, it has slipped my mind and I never gave it a thought.

So, yeah, I'm stuck with this thing now until someone can help me pick out a relatively affordable GPU that won't be a waste of money/time and is a noticeable upgrade.

Long story short, my PSU is 500w :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What brand PSU is it? That can be important as well before you purchase.

The GTX750 @ 100 euro is a stellar bargain that will run on almost any PSU, and a massive upgrade over that aged GTS250.

If you want to make the most of the budget, you will get an R9 270X delivered for the 150E.

Tesla, I think

tesla_psu137223345051ca9eea06a70.jpg

Looks a bit like that, but mine's is 500w

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Junk, unfortunately. I would replace it. You would get away with a GTX750 on it but I wouldn't put anything more powerful into it.

Seeing a stronger card would require a new power supply and you only have E150 to begin with, I'd just go for this and call it a day for now.

Still a massive upgrade.

Junk, unfortunately. I would replace it. You would get away with a GTX750 on it but I wouldn't put anything more powerful into it.

Seeing a stronger card would require a new power supply and you only have E150 to begin with, I'd just go for this and call it a day for now.

Still a massive upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback...

Advertisement