Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DLRCC's abundance of Money.

Options
  • 20-06-2014 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭

One would have to wonder whether DLRCC has a secret stash of cash which it uses to fund various oddball "projects" ( The Albert Road Roundabout springs firstly to mind,followed closely by the New Council Chamber) .....:confused:

I ask,because of the sudden explosion of Roadworking at the entrance to Redesdale Garden Estate,Kilmacud (Dale Drive).

This estate,in keeping with it's design era has a grand broad sweeping curved profile to it's entrance,which appears to have cought the (beady) eye of some Senior Functionary in DLRCC.

As a result,a team of navvies has been despatched to pour substantial amounts of concrete into new moulds to convert the former (safely functional) junction entrance into a substantially constricted,classic 90 degree junction..WTF ?

Why....? :confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Narrow the distance between the kerbs for slower pedestrians, slow the entry speed for cars into a residential estate?

Ive no problem with it, rather that sort of work than vanity project libraries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Narrow the distance between the kerbs for slower pedestrians, slow the entry speed for cars into a residential estate?

Perhaps...flip side is to ensure a queue of cars to EXIT the same residential estate due to the current ability to fan-out now being removed...but It will at least ensure a shorter walk to cross the road...;)

Wonder how much it's costing ....?

( I noticed on my last spell in France,that such works would have a board with the contract details affixed thereto)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Perhaps...flip side is to ensure a queue of cars to EXIT the same residential estate due to the current ability to fan-out now being removed...but It will at least ensure a shorter walk to cross the road...;)

Wonder how much it's costing ....?

( I noticed on my last spell in France,that such works would have a board with the contract details affixed thereto)

Have you tried ringing DLRCoCO and asking them? Or asking your local Councillor?

The crazy plan for a new Council chamber has been shelved, and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

+1
    No waste of money here, just correcting years of car-first, pedestrian-second mentality. It also makes it easier and safer for cyclists to turn right when coming out of estates.

I presume you also think the construction of the GPO, Leinster house, the Hill of Tara and Christchurch were vanity projects? The world would be a very bland place if Irish people got their way and every new build was a collection of cheapest-tender portacabins.

markpb wrote: »

I presume you also think the construction of the GPO, Leinster house, the Hill of Tara and Christchurch were vanity projects? The world would be a very bland place if Irish people got their way and every new build was a collection of cheapest-tender portacabins.

You presume wrong, and your analogies are sufficiently exaggerated as to let down your argument.

A slab sided edifice, such as the new library is, only increases the blandness of Dun Laoghaire, as it obscures and detracts from some of those features which are of interest and synonymous with the town. As you mention it, it does appear rather like the world's largest portacabin crash landed on a prominent spot overlooking the seafront.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

You presume wrong, and your analogies are sufficiently exaggerated as to let down your argument.

A slab sided edifice, such as the new library is, only increases the blandness of Dun Laoghaire, as it obscures and detracts from some of those features which are of interest and synonymous with the town. As you mention it, it does appear rather like the world's largest portacabin crash landed on a prominent spot overlooking the seafront.

Ah but now you're changing the goal posts :-) First you called it a vanity project, now you're calling it ugly. I was responding to the suggestion that it wa a vanity project. I'm fairly ambivalent about it, leaning towards disliking it but that doesn't make it a vanity project or a bad project.

Than again, I'm sure some people disliked Newgrange at the time too and said it was just a pile of rocks that spoiled the view of the countryside :-)

You cant compare the spiritual inclinations of simple and ignorant prehistoric man to build a monument to the elements around them to the modern age.

The library is a vanity project. An ugly one.

€37 million quid is shameful (cant wait for the final figure) The facilities it will provide could have been provided on a smaller scale at a selection of existing or alternative sites in the town at much less cost.

Advertisement