Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3.5yo doesn't like my nail polish!

Options
  • 20-06-2014 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

This is not the most pressing problem ever admittedly. I'd normally have my nails bare or with pale pink polish on them but on Saturday I got Gelish in a bright pink/red colour. My 3.5yo daughter said on the day "very nice, I like your nails" but on Wednesday night said that she didn't like them and asked me to "clean them". I tried to ask her why but the conversation veered off without me making any promises. She didn't ask again last night but if she does then it must be a big deal to her (right?) and I would consider it. But I was talking to a friend in work who was shocked at the suggestion I'd remove it after a few days. My friend is much girlier than me and loves the colour, but also would see that as my daughter bossing me around. I'm not as girly so removing the polish wouldn't be a big deal, I'm more curious to see how long it lasts for.
    So if my daughter asks me again what should I do?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I think your daughter needs to learn that mommy is not going to do everything she wants. So, even if the nails are not a big deal to you - your daughter will see it as her deciding that she doesnt like your nails and you remove the colour because she asked. What if another day she doesnt like your shoes - she will expect you to remove them because you removed the nail poilsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

Thanks silly, when I was trying to think of another example I came up with what if she asked me to cut my hair - that one's easy, definitely not!! But on principle yeah I guess she's going to have to realise people won't change things just because she doesn't like them, especially as it has absolutely no practical impact on her at all. It's hard to see her upset about anything though, especially if I'm the cause of it... Hopefully it's a non-issue now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

+1 what silly said. Surprised you would even consider it. Your toddler is not the boss.

I know we all try to choose our battles, but letting a child pick your clothes etc is turning into a pushover.

Advertisement