Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100% new to martial arts, would love a few pointers to get started

Options
  • 20-06-2014 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am a 29 year old guy living in Dublin. For a long time I have talked about doing some sort of martial art/self defence but the other day me and my mate decided to get our arses in gear and actually do it. I know very little about different styles, etc. I know that I'd like something that will be good for my fitness, will have a decent amount of sparring rather than practicing formal movements and might teach me some genuinely useful self-defence. I'm sure this is the kind of stuff everyone new to it says.

I know so little that I'm not even sure of the kinds of questions I should be asking myself to try and work out what might be a good fit, so I'd love if anyone could offer a bit of general advice or recommendations on the best way for me to make a decent choice. Also, I'm sure this type of question has popped up a hundred times so if anyone can point me to an existing thread with good advice I'd love that too.

If it helps, I'm in the south of the city so anything based around there is more likely to be something I can regularly get to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭silat liam

Hi Mangeorama We have classes in Silat and Kali and are based in South Dublin. This is our facebook page www.facebook.com/urbansilat if this is something you like to do, or if you any questions feel free to send me a message. Good luck with your search.. Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

if your looking for something for fitness and more sparring based i'd say go for muay thai or kickboxing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Make sure and try a few different places, but from the sounds of it I'd give MMA a go if I were you.

Should let you get a try of striking, throws grappling etc so you can decide to focus on one if you like. There should be lots of sparring in any decent club and big focus on fitness.

If you give an exact location I'm sure people can suggest clubs nearby.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭goblin59

Should try muay thai or mma, I started muay thai recently to help boost my fitness and for the sparring.
    The gym i go to is very good, we do sparring pretty much daily & theres circuits at the end. theres a link for the website
    http://hammerheadmuaythai.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Here's a great style, does everything your looking for and is a attacking based self defence style, its named Wing Tsun, highly recommend it if your around the area.

http://www.wingtsun.ie/blanchardstown.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 freddyboiii

If you want something with striking try mma or muay thai. If you want to avoid getting punched in the face give brazilian jiu jitsu a try, it's a grappling art that involves plenty of sparring with resisting opponents. It's a lot of fun and really good for fitness with some good self defense bits too.

I train at East coast jiu jitsu academy in south Dublin and couldn't recommend it highly enough. 30 day free trial with uniforms provided so you have nothing to lose, I think there's beginners classes nearly every day. The timetable on the website isn't up to date so get in touch with the lads.

www .ecjja. com

Advertisement