Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency lighting

Options
  • 20-06-2014 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Can anybody tell me what sort of price I could reasonable expect to pay for the installation of emergency lighting in a retail shop. It would be 10 lights an whatever associated parphernalia and the Electrican's time. I'd want a proper job done and certified for the health and safety authority.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

superblu wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me what sort of price I could reasonable expect to pay for the installation of emergency lighting in a retail shop. It would be 10 lights an whatever associated parphernalia and the Electrican's time. I'd want a proper job done and certified for the health and safety authority.

The price will be based mainly on time and materials.
    Emergency lights cost from €60 each upwards.
    This work could take anything from a day to a few weeks depending on many different factors. So labour could be anything north of €300.

To get a less vague answer you will have to provide a lot more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hunglikeaflee

2011 wrote: »
    This work could take anything from a day to a few weeks depending on many different factors. So labour could be anything north of €300.

You may want to consider changing Wholesaler. You will get good quality Emergency fittings from €12.50 plus VAT per fitting. Labour at €300 sounds low for a proper job.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

This is my problem. I need to get my shop up to spec to comply with fire regulations. I've been told I need to install emergency lighting. I can't provide anymore info as I do not really know what more I can say. I am happy enough to pay whatever it costs to get the job done properly by a certified electrician but I just do not want to be cleaned out. I am not an electrician or a tradesman of any description so I have absolutely no idea what's involved. What should an Electrican charge by the hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

This is my problem. I need to get my shop up to spec to comply with fire regulations. I've been told I need to install emergency lighting. I can't provide anymore info as I do not really know what more I can say. I am happy enough to pay whatever it costs to get the job done properly by a certified electrician but I just do not want to be cleaned out. I am not an electrician or a tradesman of any description so I have absolutely no idea what's involved. What should an Electrican charge by the hour

Go here

http://www.reci.ie/ConsumerServices/FindanElectrician.aspx

And find 2or3 local electricians explain on the phone what you need. Most lads I know will pop over and price the job for free and then go with the person you like most. If they are on that site they'll give you all relavent paper work afterwards aswell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 leomacduff

You may want to consider changing Wholesaler. You will get good quality Emergency fittings from €12.50 plus VAT per fitting. Labour at €300 sounds low for a proper job.

12.50 I doubt it..

Maybe for rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

leomacduff wrote: »
    12.50 I doubt it..

Maybe for rubbish

€12.50 plus vat sounds right to me, this would be trade price.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I need to get my shop up to spec to comply with fire regulations. I've been told I need to install emergency lighting. I can't provide anymore info as I do not really know what more I can say.

You can provide more information, such as:
    1) The size of the shop
    2) Are the lights to be installed in a suspended (false) ceiling?
    3) Does the 10 lights that you refer to include exit signs?
    4) When was the shop wired? Does the wiring appear to be in reasonable condition?
    5) Do the distribution board (fuse board) look as though it is full or is there plenty of spare space in it?
    6) How did you come to the conclusion that 10 lights are required? Were you advised?
    7) What type of shop is it?
    What should an Electrican charge by the hour

Expect to pay €30 to 40 per hour.
    ou may want to consider changing Wholesaler.

Not really, I don't have a wholesaler :)
    I am not an electrical contractor.
    I work in a very different part of the electrical industry, but I do tender evaluations.
    You will get good quality Emergency fittings from €12.50 plus VAT per fitting.

No doubt there are far cheaper "quality" emergency lights available on the internet.

For a shop I would select a high quality aesthetically pleasing emergency light.
    I would not think that this is possible at €12.50 + VAT
    Have you a link to these?
    Labour at €300 sounds low for a proper job.

That depends on what needs to be done.
    For all we know click sockets for emergency lighting are already wired back to a central test unit. Some shop units and offices are pre-wired in steel conduit to click sockets. All that is required it install a flex on the emergency lights and drop them into a false ceiling. Easily done for €300. Then again much more work could be required, which is why I said "anything north of €300".

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

You can provide more information, such as:
    1) The size of the shop
    2) Are the lights to be installed in a suspended (false) ceiling?
    3) Does the 10 lights that you refer to include exit signs?
    4) When was the shop wired? Does the wiring appear to be in reasonable condition?
    5) Do the distribution board (fuse board) look as though it is full or is there plenty of spare space in it?
    6) How did you come to the conclusion that 10 lights are required? Were you advised?
    7) What type of shop is it?

Expect to pay €30 to 40 per hour.

Not really, I don't have a wholesaler :)
    I am not an electrical contractor.
    I work in a very different part of the electrical industry, but I do tender evaluations.

No doubt there are far cheaper "quality" emergency lights available on the internet.

For a shop I would select a high quality aesthetically pleasing emergency light.
    I would not think that this is possible at €12.50 + VAT
    Have you a link to these?

That depends on what needs to be done.
    For all we know click sockets for emergency lighting are already wired back to a central test unit. Some shop units and offices are pre-wired in steel conduit to click sockets. All that is required it install a flex on the emergency lights and drop them into a false ceiling. Easily done for €300. Then again much more work could be required, which is why I said "anything north of €300".

The shop consists of the retail area of 616 sq.ft, Rear Office of 185 sq.ft, Bathroom, 40sq.ft and kitchen 416 sq.ft

The lights are to be suspended in a false ceiling

The 10 lights that I referred to does include exit signs. There is only one entrance/exit which is the shop door.

Shop was built in 1994. I bought it a year ago. I had the wiring signed off by a certified electrician and it's all in good working order apart from a couple of appliances with the wrong fuses.

The fuse board looks like it is full.

I was advised by a health and safety professional that I needed 10 lights.

The shop is a chemist.

I want to go with lights that look the same as what's already there.

Advertisement