Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not having a national insurance number

Options
  • 20-06-2014 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

going to the uk from Ireland to work

my predicament is, I havent a UK address yet (I won't until mid July)

I start work the 1st

I havent a NI number because, being up front and truthful about my predicament, they won't organise an interview for me to have one until I am 1)in the UK and 2) have a UK address and proof

I was willing to travel to the UK next week for the interview and have the ball rolling but they dont even want to speak to me until the above two criteria are met.

any ideas to get around this? or any ideas on what happens if I don't have an NI number, I presumes its the same as not having a PPS here. I'll have awful hassle trying to get time off to facilitate the interview.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

It's not a huge issue. I didn't get my interview for a few weeks after I started working over here. I can't remember, but I don't think you get hit with emergency tax, like in Ireland (not 100% certain on this, it was a good few years ago).

Getting a bank account will probably be a greater problem, that was a nightmare for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

why so? an awful lot seem to be able to set it up for you with just a passport. or am I going over completely delusional about this :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

You need proof of address to get a bank account. To get an address you often need an account in order to pay what ever bills. The circle of life in the UK :) It was not fun, but eventually got sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

HSBC set me up with a current account with only a passport. You don't want to be putting your name on bills if you've just moved into a shared house.

Advertisement