Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

There's something seriously dodgy going on with Plenty Of Fish. Fake profiles ahoy!

• 20-06-2014 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

So I joined up recently for a nose and got chatting to what seemed like a couple of nice girls. Or so I thought.

My gut feeling wasnt sitting right on some of the replies and questions, they seemed a little too generic, copied and pasted. So I ran some of their pictures through Google Images and whatta ya know. The same picture comes up on multiple profiles. If you go to click on them in Google another girl shows up. So maybe the image was held in Google's cache and the messers just rotate images?

Ive since heard that Plenty Of Fish employees themselves set these up as the amount of men vs women ration on the site is getting a bit crazy and they want to keep the men hooked, so to speak.

Here's what I found and this was with just two I did some sleuthing on. Id say the site is full of this kind of thing.

http://img42.com/bIzhX

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Ah, your codding me ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

The sexy singles forum on this site is better. Check it out OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Maybe those are just women that had a profile. Closed it and then opened another one.

I think though that you should definetly post their names and images on a whim on the most popular forum on boards. Theyll love that.

Maybe you should post your own too for us all to have a look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mopey

bots fishing for credit card details?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Chin Stroker

Maybe those are just women that had a profile. Closed it and then opened another one.
    If you go to click on those links in Google another girl shows up. So maybe the image was held in Google's cache and the messers just rotate images?

Different girls are showing up in Google's cache with the same image. Dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Maybe you should post your own too for us all to have a look at?

He'll never do that, he'd much rather remain... Incognito?

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

What did Plenty of Fish say when you brought this to their attention OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Different girls are showing up in Google's cache with the same image. Dodgy.

Dodgy according to you. Doesnt give you the right to repost private images on the web in the absense of proof. You really should remove those links.

You sound like a catch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I doubt they would go to the bother to be honest. If they want to lie about the number of women on their site (which I have no problem believing they might do), then that is as simple as adjusting a little code. It is doubtful that anyone would, or even could, check. Making up tons of fake profiles, badly, seems like a lot of work incompetently done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Something Fishy going on alright..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

I have a bit of experience working in the online dating industry. It was a constant battle against scammers. As a rule of thumb, if the profile photo looks professional and the person is very good looking, it's probably fake. Online dating is great, but if it looks too good to be true, that's probably because it isn't.

Dodgy according to you. Doesnt give you the right to repost private images on the web in the absense of proof.

The images arent private, they're on Google. And the proof is the images.

Dodgy according to you. Doesnt give you the right to repost private images on the web in the absense of proof. You really should remove those links.
    Has the OP not just proven that these particular images are all over google? Hardly private. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

So are you telling me desperate34 and cantfindamaninreallife69 are not actually meeting me this weekend for long walks on the beach? Ah feck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

The main problem isn't that they're fake profiles but the fact that neither of those women are attractive

urabell wrote: »
    The main problem isn't that they're fake profiles but the fact that neither of those women are attractive
    Black & White photos too FFS. I was born in 1975 with colour eyes. :rolleyes:

No Pants wrote: »
    What did Plenty of Fish say when you brought this to their attention OP?

I reported the first one and heard nothing back. All her profiles remain online too, which cements my theory and the stories Ive heard that its Plenty Of Fish themselves who generate these profiles.

I reported the first one and heard nothing back. All her profiles remain online too, which cements my theory and the stories Ive heard that its Plenty Of Fish themselves who generate these profiles.
    How much do you pay for site access? Or do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

It's free apparently so no reason for them to drum up fake profiles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

I'd rather tuna.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

Show us pics of yourself opie, need to prove that you're real

Its free of course. Arent they all?

Its free of course. Arent they all?
    I've no idea. I'm happily married and, if I wasn't, the missus catching me on a dating site would hardly improve my situation. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

That would not surprise me in the least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The paid sites are worse for it though.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Is there a way for you as a site user to block profiles that you believe are fake so that you don't see them anymore?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Is there a way for you as a site user to block profiles that you believe are fake so that you don't see them anymore?

There's usually a block feature.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

The paid sites are worse for it though.

Really? Name and shame.

Really? Name and shame.

Well, they want you to pay up so they create fake profiles to entice people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

So it's not plenty of fish, it's Few fish and reflections in the sea...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

efb wrote: »

Just be careful of the ones with crabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Just be careful of the ones with crabs.

Don't like the smell off yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

If you use the nickname 'No pants' on a internet dating website chances are pretty good that they will be blocking you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

I'm a success story from plenty of fish
    I meet few people on there that didn't work out, were married! Or crazy
    But I met my husband on there now 3 years together
    I know other people that have met partners on there ! Not all bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Pof in Ireland is crap, compared to over here in the UK. People in the UK want to meet up, whereas in Ireland people are just there for a nosy.

• Advertisement

A Few Fish And Many Mermaids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Ace detective work rookie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

I don't like fish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

How can anyone not like fish?! The delectable delights of the nourishing flesh which has fed ten thousand generations of people is not to be poo-pooed!

Anyways, all dating sites are filled to the gills with cops and I'm pretty sure there's about three women in the whole country on them!

This springs to mind too http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120326002951/simpsons/images/8/87/Blinky_Art.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Theres a show on MTV called Catfish its a good laugh to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Plenty of fish, dodgy? Never! :-O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

My cousin was on a dating site a good few years back.

He got chatting to this girl who said she was a model (course you are, love!), twenty four and owned her own home in leafy Foxrock.

She was reluctant to show him a picture of herself but eventually showed him a picture, clearly professionally taken, of a blonde woman in her underwear.

She wouldn't meet up with him and would only communicate with him on the phone or through email.

Eventually he gave up with her and a few months later, he decided to Google her picture and lo and behold, he found her photo....but it was of a relatively unknown American athlete.

Moral of the story...always be wary of who you're talking to. People aren't all they seem online!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

fussyonion wrote: »
    My cousin was on a dating site a good few years back.

He got chatting to this girl who said she was a model (course you are, love!), twenty four and owned her own home in leafy Foxrock.

She was reluctant to show him a picture of herself but eventually showed him a picture, clearly professionally taken, of a blonde woman in her underwear.

She wouldn't meet up with him and would only communicate with him on the phone or through email.

Eventually he gave up with her and a few months later, he decided to Google her picture and lo and behold, he found her photo....but it was of a relatively unknown American athlete.

Moral of the story...always be wary of who you're talking to. People aren't all they seem online!

Tbf your cousin doesn't sound too bright.

top madra wrote: »
    Tbf your cousin doesn't sound too bright.

He wouldn't be the sharpest tool in the drawer, no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If they renamed it "Plenty of women" I'd be more inclined to use it.

biko wrote: »
    If they renamed it "Plenty of women" I'd be more inclined to use it.

If you weren't in Galway and I wasn't already attached, I'd ping ya!

We have another one

http://img42.com/fUsXS

What's worrying is that if these people arent Plenty Of Fish employees then their motives for doing this could be very suspect indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Son of a gun

Next you'll be telling me those sexy singles aren't really ready and waiting to take my call...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

BBC showed an interesting documentary this year about fake profiles on internet dating sites. Not that you had to see it to realise that it goes on. It's fairly obvious to anyone whos ever used a dating website. But it's just another negative point to add that dating websites are full of crap.

On the subject tho, I think said websites are a waste of time. Yes there are genuine people on them. Yes people do meet and get into relationships. But the percentages of being successful are low.

Back ten years ago dating websites had a social stigma about them (which was bloody stupid) but it also meant alot of people weren't on them. So you had alot more genuine people who wanted relationships on them. Now every Tom, Dick, Sharon & Mary Jane are on them. Same type of sort you would meet in a pub.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement