Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a stap ram

• 20-06-2014 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

Getting ready to buy a star rated ram for the stap scheme this year, of a maternal breed. Will go to a society sales date to hopefully pick up something decent quality. Thing is he'll most probably be a ram lamb as opposed to a hogget. Do ye think ram lambs are up to doing the business this year for me, or will they be a bit young and will it leave until next year until the ram comes into his own ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

How many would you intend letting him out with? Alot would depend how well fed he is IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cran

You might be limited on maternal breeds for STAP, especially hoggets as limited number of maternal breeds were in lambplus last year with the exception of Belclares. I struggled to get a Lleyn I wanted with figures last year, went with an unrecorded after. I'd think Belclare probably best going for Lambs as see very few hoggets at their sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Ya, it's a nice belclare I'm after. Hoping to put him to my 30 best ewes. I'm in the process of growing the flock and it's hard to expand and at the same time increase the quality of ewes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

I think a good strong Ram Lamb would manage 30 ewes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 working kelpie ireland

Just be careful of buying the biggest strongest ram lamb as intensive feeding can make them infertile so a test is only €30 to be sure of your ram the like of belcare could run with up to 45 ewe's very fruitful breed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I was going to buy at one of the society mart sales dates. I don't know whether they'd be tested or not beforehand. I can only hope that if I had an infertile ram the breeder would stand over him ???
    I like medium sized rams as well. What type of lambing would the biggest ram leave me with !

• Registered Users Posts: 12 working kelpie ireland

Like your self I am only setting up I have some bleu de maine x ewe's very milky great feet also some beltex x sheep I am using a bleu de maine ram which was proved infertile this year but going to buy some belcares of one of the men I lamb for he cules at 4yr old so i will get a good few seasons out of them and going to buy a beltex ram to put on the bigger longer ewe so I should get some great youngsters coming through

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭sheeper

The breeder should definitely be standing over the ram if he proves wrong !

Advertisement