Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Union Jack flags over Ballina Civic Office

Options
  • 20-06-2014 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi, Anyone know why there are 2 union jack flags over Ballina Civic offices? Just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

mezuzaj wrote: »
    Hi, Anyone know why there are 2 union jack flags over Ballina Civic offices? Just curious.

a visitor from the uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ziggyzoom

In Humbert's Footsteps 27th-29th June. Reenactments, street entertainment, crafts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ziggyzoom

In Humbert's Footsteps 27th-29th June. Reenactments, street entertainment, crafts etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mezuzaj

ziggyzoom wrote: »

Yes I know. But humbert came in 1798.. 3 years before the British Act of union. The flag they are flying didn't exist in 1798. Just curious why they put it up. The french flag is historically accurate.

Not going into an political debate here. Ireland was not even in the united Kingdom in 1798. That came 3 years later in 1801.

so this is the flag that is most historically correct. That reflects better 1798

1000px-Union_flag_1606_%28Kings_Colors%29.svg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Looks very odd having it around the place! I understand the French flag but the union jack has no reason to be flying!

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Almost a century of independence, and we're still getting twitchy about flying our neigbour's flag?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Almost a century of independence, and we're still getting twitchy about flying our neigbour's flag?

As I said above its not a political point. Ballina looks great actually. I am just saying the proper flag should have been used to commemorate the event, since the union jack did not exist in 1798.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I guess next we will be inviting them to celebrate our path to independence.

Not sure if this has caught the right spirit at this point in time. Just like the Queen's invite to the 1916 centenary celebrations. Diarmaid Ferriter nipped that in the bud nicely.

Curiously, there is no Irish flag flying, i.e. the tricolour. There is a green flag with Erin go brath on several buildings. But then again there was no tricolour in 1798.

Interesting to see what the official line on this....betcha MM will take the lead on this with her FG colleagues trying to review history with a very WIDE lense.

I need to got to spec savers... The flags are correct. They are not union jacks but the old English - Scottish flag of pre 1801.

Sorry for confusion with this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Not any ole neighbour though are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

If Ballina has the correct pre-1801 British flag and the correct Irish pre-1848 flag (green background with or without harp; with or without Erin go brath), then you've done a hell of a lot better :) than Castlebar last year :(, where there were no Irish flags whatsoever, neither pre- nor post-1848. It was disappointing, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

Maybe Enda SOLD Mayo to get job in Europe

Connacht wrote: »
    If Ballina has the correct pre-1801 British flag and the correct Irish pre-1848 flag (green background with or without harp; with or without Erin go brath), then you've done a hell of a lot better :) than Castlebar last year :(, where there were no Irish flags whatsoever, neither pre- nor post-1848. It was disappointing, to say the least.

Ballina has the correct flags to mark the Period 1798. The town looks great. I think I saw one union jack which caused the confusion, but most of the town has the correct flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

mezuzaj wrote: »
    Ballina has the correct flags to mark the Period 1798. The town looks great. I think I saw one union jack which caused the confusion, but most of the town has the correct flags.

Ok lets go on flag alert and report any out of context flags here. :D

The traffic warden could become the flag warden. Maybe better use of his time.:cool:

Advertisement