Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scholes was better than Xavi and Pirlo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

As you probably have as much understanding of football as a typical Man Utd bandwagon supporter and use goals, assists etc as a bar in rating players, I will use Steven Gerrard to illustrate my point

Steven Gerrard has scored more goals in less games than Paul Scholes
    Steven Gerrard can actually tackle
    Steven Gerrard is a leader not a follower like Paul Scholes(YOUR OPINION)
    Steven Gerrard can head the ball(SO CAN SCHOLES)
    Steven Gerrard scored more penalties(STEVEN GERRARD HAS TAKEN MORE PENALTIES)
    Steven Gerrard scored more frees(STEVEN GERRARD HAS TAKEN MORE FREES)
    Steven Gerrard is more athletic than Paul Scholes(SO, MUTE POINT.USAIN BOLT IS MORE ATHLETIC THAN STEVEN GERRARD)
    Steven Gerrard has a higher % of through ball assists than Paul Scholes(DOES LAST NIGHTS ONE COUNT)

I'm have the same amount premier league medals as Steven Gerrard

Paul Scholes has 11

I rest my case

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 Lemonandice20

As you probably have as much understanding of football as a typical Man Utd bandwagon supporter and use goals, assists etc as a bar in rating players, I will use Steven Gerrard to illustrate my point

Steven Gerrard is a leader not a follower like Paul Scholes
    Steven Gerrard can head the ball
    Steven Gerrard scored more penalties
    Steven Gerrard scored more frees
    Steven Gerrard is more athletic than Paul Scholes
    Steven Gerrard has a higher % of through ball assists than Paul Scholes

But ultimately his net effect on Liverpool is to make them worse, I doubt very much Man U were better without Scholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

niallo27 wrote: »
    Trophies shouldn't come into it. By the way I think scholes was a better player than Gerrard, but not the huge gap people think.

Neither should meaningless stats or for that matter Gerard and Lampard in a Discussion not involving them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Paul Scholes has 11

I rest my case

Giggs was better than all of them so if that's what your going by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Paul Scholes has 11

I rest my case

I wish people would stop using that as a means to place one player above another. Apart from the fact it makes no sense, it also makes no sense.

Giggs was better than all of them so if that's what your going by.

NO he wasnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Ye suppose your right Scholes=11 PL titles -Gerard=0. Why was Gerard and Lampard even brought into the discussion?

By your logic, Jose Maneul Pinto is a better goalkeeper than David De Gea or Manuel Neuer.

Trophies don't tell us how good a player is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Paul Scholes has 11

I rest my case

If you go by that Rationale then Xavi is better than Scholes because at Barca he won 7 league titles, 3 champions leagues and won a World Cup and two European Championships.

You can't base how great a player was on the amount of team trophies they won alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Make of this what you like, gerrard according to this is'nt even in the ball park.

Gerrard, scholes, lampard.

http://www.givemesport.com/381385-who-is-better-scholes-v-lampard-v-gerrard#./381385-who-is-better-scholes-v-lampard-v-gerrard?&_suid=140328857522806066115774454848

Each page shows stats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Does Gerrards assist last night count i wonder

Anyway i'm biased and have seen 20 times more Man Utd games than any other so don't expect any sense from me. All three fantastic players but I'll always go for Scholes, he scores goals he scores goals

If you go by that Rationale then Xavi is better than Scholes because at Barca he won 7 league titles, 3 champions leagues and won a World Cup and two European Championships.

You can't base how great a player was on the amount of team trophies they won alone

scholes still has more overall titles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Scholes would be appreciated far more by fans if he was Spanish or Italian.

I know he's so under appreciated like...no wait, he's not. Scholes is rightly considered one of the finest midfield playmakers of the past 20 years.

If anyone wants him to be considered better than Pirlo or Xavi it would help if:

- he had had some success in International football;
    - turned in some defining individual International football performances ala Ince versus Italy in 1997 or Keane versus Portugal in 2001;

and, you know:

- been as good as them;

He was great player, he is rated appropriately as such. Xavi revolutionized the game. Pirlo plays with a grace rarely seen in the history of the game. Noone is getting done here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

But Xavi won more of the big International ones.

I do think Scholes was a brilliant player but I think he has gotten a lot better since he retired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I know he's so under appreciated like...no wait, he's not. Scholes is rightly considered one of the finest midfield playmakers of the past 20 years.

If anyone wants him to be considered better than Pirlo or Xavi it would help if:

- he had had some success in International football;
    - turned in some defining individual International football performances ala Ince versus Italy in 1997 or Keane versus Portugal in 2001;

and, you know:

- been as good as them;

He was great player, he is rated appropriately as such. Xavi revolutionized the game. Pirlo plays with a grace rarely seen in the history of the game. Noone is getting done here.

Well if Gerard and Lampard are being mentioned in the same breath as him by people he clearly isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ye suppose your right Scholes=11 PL titles -Gerard=0. Why was Gerard and Lampard even brought into the discussion?

Danny Welbeck = 1 EPL Title; Alan Shearer = 0 EPL Title so...ye Gods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭munster87

Roquentin wrote: »
    :D

"Gerrard can actually tackle."

Thats not even a stat, just an observation

Needs to stay on his feet more though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I just don't get why you'd judge great centre midfielders on goal/assist tallies. Keane and Vieira (the 2 best of the Premiership era) would be horrified.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Scholes may be better than Pirlo and Xavi.

But Iniesta is better than Scholes.

different players entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Fescue wrote: »
    I do think Scholes was a brilliant player but I think he has gotten a lot better since he retired.

Second half of this hits the nail on the head. Would be a much fairer comparison if Xavi and Pirlo have WWE retirements.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    I just don't get why you'd judge great centre midfielders on goal/assist tallies. Keane and Vieira (the 2 best of the Premiership era) would be horrified.

A better assessment might be who is the most influential player?

Keane was way more influential than Scholes for Utd in my opinion.

Pirlo for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Danny Welbeck = 1 EPL Title; Alan Shearer = 0 EPL Title so...ye Gods.

Eh...1995?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Xavi, Scholes, Pirlo In that order.

Zidane was and always will be KING!

What ever it is. It's true.

Ok if we are going that low,

Steven gerrard is better looking.
    Steven Gerrard has a better wife.
    Steven Gerrard wears a nicer shirt.
    Steven Gerrard drives a faster car.
    Steven Gerrard is more funny...
    And so on............

Most of what he said what just observations that can be debated.

They dont make him a better all round player though. Gerrard had more energy, i give him that. But technically there is a gulf between the two, a huge one.

And so on............

They dont make him a better all round player though. Gerrard had more energy, i give him that. But technically there is a gulf between the two, a huge one.

Thats an observation.

Off topic I know but how sexy is this team

Cafu
    Stam
    Vidic
    R,Carlos

Scholes
    Keane

Zidane

messi
    Suarez
    Ronaldo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 Lemonandice20

Scholes was a fantastic player because he was consistent, reliable, a very goo passer and an excellent eye for goal. However he lacked creativity imo at the top level. The sort of creativity that players such as Zidane, Redondo, Iniesta, Xavi and Pirlo had at their peaks.

A better assessment might be who is the most influential player?

Keane was way more influential than Scholes for Utd in my opinion.

They were both influential but in different ways. keane used tear into teams and raise the whole united team. scholes used use his guile to sort of raise the team. Worked well

Actually, on the gerrard subject. The amount of times i saw keane destroy gerrard was amazing. He would just match him one on one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

And he had Asthma.....:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Steven Gerrard is a leader not a follower like Paul Scholes
    Steven Gerrard can head the ball
    Steven Gerrard scored more penalties
    Steven Gerrard scored more frees
    Steven Gerrard is more athletic than Paul Scholes
    Steven Gerrard has a higher % of through ball assists than Paul Scholes

hypgauge2.gif

Scholes was a fantastic player because he was consistent, reliable, a very goo passer and an excellent eye for goal. However he lacked creativity imo at the top level. The sort of creativity that players such as Zidane, Redondo, Iniesta, Xavi and Pirlo had at their peaks.

Scored more and created more than all of them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Xavi was extraordinary but he needed Busquets and Iniesta for both Barcelona and Spain. I don't think that should be ignored. Obviously that is taking something away from him which isn't something I want to do but I always have it in my mind when considering how good he is/was.

Pirlo for me is better than him now at least but I would get it hard to say who was better at their peak. The fact Pirlo has stayed so good, for so long would lead me to say he was the best of those two. Maybe Xavi will surprise me yet.

Sitting in the fence about the actual topic as I am too biased to argue it as a United fan. Scholes had a brilliant career and is my favourite player.

Like Xavi needing others, at his peak Scholes needed Keane to play his best and get the best use of his skills, but I also consider how Keane was a player that was restricted by his knee injury in the 90s, at a time where a cruciate had high potential to be a career ending injury so its a credit to Scholes imo that Keane played for so long after that injury. He changed a lot between his peak and the end of his career and his role changed which is something I have a lot of respect for. The fact he won titles and a European Cup after Keane left and played with Carrick or Fletcher during that time makes me love him even more.

I disagree. he didnt do step overs, but was able to shimmy past players and retain the ball. His creativity was his vision mainly. He could see passes that no one else could see, bar xavi or pirlo. Young verratti has the same ability as well.

There are groups:

1) Pirlo/scholes/xavi
    2)Modric/schnijer.......

Modric and snijerder are just below these lads.

Iniesta is a different player. Hes like a false 10 in the mould of mata or silva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭munster87

When was Pirlo's peak?

What are his stats like in major championships for England.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Xavi was extraordinary but he needed Busquets and Iniesta for both Barcelona and Spain. I don't think that should be ignored. Obviously that is taking something away from him which isn't something I want to do but I always have it in my mind when considering how good he is/was.

Pirlo for me is better than him now at least but I would get it hard to say who was better at their peak. The fact Pirlo has stayed so good, for so long would lead me to say he was the best of those two. Maybe Xavi will surprise me yet.

Sitting in the fence about the actual topic as I am too biased to argue it as a United fan. Scholes had a brilliant career and is my favourite player.

Like Xavi needing others, at his peak Scholes needed Keane to play his best and get the best use of his skills, but I also consider how Keane was a player that was restricted by his knee injury in the 90s, at a time where a cruciate had high potential to be a career ending injury so its a credit to Scholes imo that Keane played for so long after that injury. He changed a lot between his peak and the end of his career and his role changed which is something I have a lot of respect for. The fact he won titles and a European Cup after Keane left and played with Carrick or Fletcher during that time makes me love him even more.

I agree, pirlo in the whole is the best i have seen. IMO. some go for xavi. They are all geniuses

Thats an observation.

Touché

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Liam O wrote: »
    Scholes played a very different role to the other 2 early in his career based more around dynamic attacking.

I'm going to sit on the fence on this one and say they are the best in their positions in English, Italian and Spanish football in my lifetime

Ah, theres a politician deep inside you! The most diplomatic answer I ve seen in a long time:pac:

• Advertisement

What are his stats like in major championships for England.

what are george bests stats like at major tournaments or ryan giggs stats or liam brady, ian rush, george weah etc etc.. Those players never played at major championships but it never called their class into question. Scholes was criminally misused by England through no fault of his own.

And so on............

Steven Gerrard should be in jail

n32 wrote: »
    what are george bests stats like at major tournaments or ryan giggs stats or liam brady, ian rush, george weah etc etc.. Those players never played at major championships but it never called their class into question. Scholes was criminally misused by England through no fault of his own.

They never qualified for major championships, you can't compare them. He still played 66 games for England and retired early.

Steven Gerrard should be in jail

Bit harsh. What did he do now.

They never qualified for major championships, you can't compare them. He still played 66 games for England and retired early.

he reitred because the likes of Sven played him on the wing instead of in his proper position. Instead Ericksson decided to listen to the media and persist with Gerrard and Lampard when it was clear it didnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

Some will disagree but the stats don't lie

1. Scored twice as many goals as both
    2. three times the assists of both
    3. More trophies than both

So agree or disagree?

You are correct that the stats don't lie, Xavi has won more trophies than Paul Scholes.

• Advertisement

n32 wrote: »
    he reitred because the likes of Sven played him on the wing instead of in his proper position. Instead Ericksson decided to listen to the media and persist with Gerrard and Lampard when it was clear it didnt work.

Wouldn't he just get on with. Is Rooney going to retire after the same happened to him.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Cafu
    Stam
    Vidic
    R,Carlos

Scholes
    Keane

Zidane

messi
    Suarez
    Ronaldo

Serious lack of Victor Moses, David May, Glen Johnson and Andre Santos.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    - - - - - - - - Scholes - - - - - - - -

Scholes - Scholes - Scholes - Scholes

- - - - - - Scholes - Scholes - - - - -

Scholes - - - - Scholes - - - - Scholes

- - - - - - - -Glen Johnson - - - - - - -

Pirlo and Xaxi on the bench with more Scholes.

The best bit was when you picked scholes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Scholes' international career was going fine until Sven got the job, he was first choice CM in the 02 World Cup but they got knocked out in the quarters by one of the best teams of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Cafu
    Stam
    Vidic
    R,Carlos

Scholes
    Keane

Zidane

messi
    Suarez
    Ronaldo

Ah -nothing like a sly fantasy 11 thrown in. Was that the point of starting the thread?

• Advertisement
Advertisement