Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scholes was better than Xavi and Pirlo

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Oranage2 wrote: »
    In that Keane vieira document Keane left Scholes out of the Best team he's played with, a great player but not the best.

I think the thread is a complete wind-up. The timing of it, just after Liverpool's greatest 'Hero' is shamed on the biggest stage of all, is no coincidence.

Amazing how many people have been sucked into it though. Good work Shadowcompany.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Oranage2 wrote: »
    In that Keane vieira document Keane left Scholes out of the Best team he's played with, a great player but not the best.

Keane also said Ferguson wasn't the best manager he played under. I think he said he regretted not putting Scholes in that team too. Either way, I wouldn't put much pass on what he says when he holds such bitter grudges.
    He'd probably put Neil Lennon in before Scholes if they didn't get on.

Theres no comparison only deluded United fans depressed by their fall into mid table would think otherwise.
    I thought the same for years when winning leagues and cups and sh*tting on every team in England and often Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Ladies and gents lets not turn this into another Pool v Utd thread!!! IMHO Xavi....Pirlo/Scholes. All great players and it was a pleasure to watch their career. The fact that Scholes retired from International football to early goes against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭no money honey

Just shows how clueless Irish Man United fans are about football. Definitely the least intelligent section of football fans I've ever come across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Let them in for the summer, what could go wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Unearthly wrote: »
    Let them in for the summer, what could go wrong
    lol

Just shows how clueless Irish Man United fans are about football. Definitely the least intelligent section of football fans I've ever come across.

Yes, it's a real pity and such bad luck that our schooling was dictated by the club we supported.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Ladies and gents lets not turn this into another Pool v Utd thread!!!

Pissing in the wind. I think Gerrard was mentioned more times than at least one of the 3 we're supposed to be talking about.

Yes, it's a real pity and such bad luck that our schooling was dictated by the club we supported.

Wow

• Advertisement

Wow

You're easily amazed...

how many football fans have you come across???

that is disgusting

how many football fans have you come across???

that is disgusting

A Kildare United fan. A special breed of intelligence you are pal.

do not call me pal.. i do not want anyone thinking i might associate myself with you....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I'm not bragging or anything but I'm a Man Utd fan and I know that a proper noun, like a name, should begin with a capital letter. :)

As you probably have as much understanding of football as a typical Man Utd bandwagon supporter and use goals, assists etc as a bar in rating players, I will use Steven Gerrard to illustrate my point

Steven Gerrard has scored more goals in less games than Paul Scholes
    Steven Gerrard can actually tackle
    Steven Gerrard is a leader not a follower like Paul Scholes
    Steven Gerrard can head the ball
    Steven Gerrard scored more penalties
    Steven Gerrard scored more frees
    Steven Gerrard is more athletic than Paul Scholes
    Steven Gerrard has a higher % of through ball assists than Paul Scholes

Don't forget, Gerrard is better at slipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I'm not your pal, friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Zico wrote: »
    I think the thread is a complete wind-up. The timing of it, just after Liverpool's greatest 'Hero' is shamed on the biggest stage of all, is no coincidence.

Amazing how many people have been sucked into it though. Good work Shadowcompany.:)

Ha, the paranoia is incredible.

When Scholes retired players, ex-players and managers from around Europe were falling over themselves to compliment him. But sure it's just because of United fans that he's rated better than the 'good English league player' that he was. The same people are probably the ones who'll tell you Cantona wasn't a great player despite leading his team to league titles in his last 4 full seasons.

It's strange, I've no problems giving credit to the likes of Henry, Drogba, RVP before the United move, Suarez now but when a player with what was it 11 leagues, 2 CLs among many others is being shown up as 'never really world class' despite always playing centrally for a world class team for a decade and a half you really have to wonder just how much of it is serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Liam O wrote: »
    Ha, the paranoia is incredible.

When Scholes retired players, ex-players and managers from around Europe were falling over themselves to compliment him. But sure it's just because of United fans that he's rated better than the 'good English league player' that he was. The same people are probably the ones who'll tell you Cantona wasn't a great player despite leading his team to league titles in his last 4 full seasons.

It's strange, I've no problems giving credit to the likes of Henry, Drogba, RVP before the United move, Suarez now but when a player with what was it 11 leagues, 2 CLs among many others is being shown up as 'never really world class' despite always playing centrally for a world class team for a decade and a half you really have to wonder just how much of it is serious.
    "Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of [Lionel] Messi and Ronaldo but, yes, I think he just might be," Zidane said. "If you don't have a player like Steven Gerrard, who is the engine room, it can affect the whole team.

"When we were winning league titles and European Cups at Real, I always said Claude Makelele was our most important player. There is no way myself, [Luis] Figo or Raúl would have been able to do what we did without Claude and the same goes for Liverpool and Gerrard.

"He has great passing ability, can tackle and scores goals, but most importantly he gives the players around him confidence and belief. You can't learn that – players like him are just born with that presence."

Not even the most ardent Liverpool fan could swallow all of that from Zidane!

I take those sort of comments with a pinch of salt to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Some will disagree but the stats don't lie

1. Scored twice as many goals as both
    2. three times the assists of both
    3. More trophies than both

So agree or disagree?

Dirtiest player in CL history!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    - - - - - - - - Scholes - - - - - - - -

Scholes - Scholes - Scholes - Scholes

- - - - - - Scholes - Scholes - - - - -

Scholes - - - - Scholes - - - - Scholes

- - - - - - - -Glen Johnson - - - - - - -

Pirlo and Xaxi on the bench with more Scholes.

Serious lack of toni on the wing, right wing that is,

Fescue wrote: »
    Not even the most ardent Liverpool fan could swallow all of that from Zidane!

I take those sort of comments with a pinch of salt to be honest.

Why is Gerrard still being brought up in this conversation? He has nothing to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Liam O wrote: »
    Why is Gerrard still being brought up in this conversation? He has nothing to do with it.

Because I remembered that Zidane quote about Gerrard (me being a Liverpool fan) and thought it made a good point about the guff that can sometimes be spouted about players from their peers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

Liverpool fans v Man U fans.... Yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

In fairness, this can easily be solved by the most useful observation that helps define the greatest of a midfield player.
    And that is how awesome their beard is.

Look at Pirlo's:

201403030833308035792-p5.jpg

Glorious.

Scholes is ginger.

paulScholesManUtd2012-13_large.jpg

Xavi's is pitiful, when he does decide to let it grow.

So the real question should be, should Alonso replace Xavi in the perennial discussion of who is greater between Xavi, Scholes and Pirlo?

And I think the answer is yes. Look at his beard.

Xabi_Alonso_Spain.jpg

Look at it, it overcomes the problems Scholes has with his, it being ginger, and its close between him and Pirlo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,190 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Three amazing players to watch playing the game as they make it look easy.

They all have/had the ability to find space, pick a pass and control a game. They are also masters of using their first touch to beat a player.

Not a lot between them really but for me Scholes just shades it. Xavi may have had a better spell over a couple of years but he was playing with Iniesta & Messi then.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,190 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Fescue wrote: »
    Because I remembered that Zidane quote about Gerrard (me being a Liverpool fan) and thought it made a good point about the guff that can sometimes be spouted about players from their peers.

Tis a shame you can't remember the OP is about Xavi, Pirlo and Scholes then.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

niallo27 wrote: »
    If he wasn't ginger he would be more appreciated around the world.

Sad but true. Hype is not something you would ever associate with Scholes. Ginger is just not media friendly. In fact I think he more or less shunned the limelight anyway, so a double whammy.
    As you probably have as much understanding of football as a typical Man Utd bandwagon supporter and use goals, assists etc as a bar in rating players, I will use Steven Gerrard to illustrate my point

Steven Gerrard has scored more goals in less games than Paul Scholes
    Steven Gerrard can actually tackle
    Steven Gerrard is a leader not a follower like Paul Scholes
    Steven Gerrard can head the ball
    Steven Gerrard scored more penalties
    Steven Gerrard scored more frees
    Steven Gerrard is more athletic than Paul Scholes
    Steven Gerrard has a higher % of through ball assists than Paul Scholes

Suarez would surely agree!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Growing up Paul Scholes has always been the player I most admire. I think he's the best central midfielder England had ever produced and a model pro to boot.

I feel if anything went against him it was that he didn't hog the limelight, he flew under the radar and in England when that happens the media don't want to know you.

Being able to control the tempo of a game is a skill very few in world football possess. Scholes, Xavi, Pirlo they all have it. They are all wonderful players and any manager would have any of them in their starting line up. ( in their prime) people hard on about Gerrard but I don't get it. He's been woeful at the world cup and England suffered due to him and Lampard both the same box to box energetic midfielders player centre middle while the best player on the team was stuck wide left. Similar to Rooney against Italy really. To me Gerrard is an over rated Yaya Toure. But again that's just my opinion. And it's not Liverpool hatred cause I think you have some fantastic players past and present. I just wouldn't put Gerrard with then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Turtwig wrote: »
    Xavi was inspired by Scholes.

Xavi before his bird got him a Scholesy DVD for XMAS 1997:

c480x270_10.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

My serious Nuri input is what Rarnes said basically. For me, as an attacking midfielder there is only one winner and that's Scholes out of the three names mentioned. I don't think this should be a question. However, I'd have have Xavi and Pirlo ahead of him as the deep lying playmaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

This thread ffs. Xavi and Pirlo pay in totally different to Scholes for one and Xabi and Pirlo are both easily better than him two. Scholes used to be shunted to the left for England sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Think Pirlo has the the same love Berba gets but on a grander scale which makes people exaggerate how good he was, the man is a fantastic player no doubt and one of the best

Midfielders are the hardest to judge, keepers, defenders and forwards are a lot more clear cut. The fact we've never seen Xavi outside his comfort zone, that is playing for one of the best teams of all time both domestically and internationally, beside Iniesta who will go down as one of the greatest and Busquets who probably will as well, makes it hard

Scholes has the ABU factor against him and English as well so he will be underrated by people outside, Fergie never fixed the midfield after Keane left and Scholes got better while the quality of his teammates nosedived

If I had to pick one to put in a team it has to be Scholes, all fantastic players though at the end of the day

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    My serious Nuri input is what Rarnes said basically. For me, as an attacking midfielder there is only one winner and that's Scholes out of the three names mentioned. I don't think this should be a question. However, I'd have have Xavi and Pirlo ahead of him as the deep lying playmaker.

I think that's fair but the fact that he could play both positions so well surely adds to how good he was. He never really played as the deep playmaker in his younger days, if he did it might be different, let's not forget though as well he played a lot of his career in a 2 man midfield which the other 2 would have struggled with a lot more I think. Xavi is the best in his role of all time I think in terms of patiently keeping possession and suddenly seeing the pass to open a defense. Pirlo makes better, more incisive short passes than both the other 2 I think in general, always looking for the forward pass. Scholes had the best long range passing of the 3 I think, could pick out anyone, anywhere on the field at any time. Like I said at the start they are all at the top of their nations produce in that position and judging who's better is fruitless imo. Scholes has won more club trophies but both the others have a world cup to their name which might push them ahead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Pirlo gets love because he's the best passer of the ball the game has ever seen and has dominated the game at domestic, european club and international level for a decade winning 2 champions leagues and a world cup in the process.

The fact that he's also the coolest man on the planet is secondary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

All different types of midfielder.

Pointless comparing them statistically.

Advertisement