Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France vs Switzeland 8pm RTE2 ITV

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Headshot wrote: »
    I cant get over how bad the referring is in this WC

Now I'm with you - so poor to blow up there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

So wait... now it's a good thing to dump selfish and divisive but talented players according to Dunphy, after all his John Terry rants?

The most hypocritical, flip flopping, disingenuous and untalented hack going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

France cinq the Swiss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Benzema non goal: https://vine.co/v/MTXqTXAaEOT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

A draw tonight and France win their group - is that right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Billy86 wrote: »
    So wait... now it's a good thing to dump selfish and divisive but talented players according to Dunphy, after all his John Terry rants?

Terry's not that bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Van.Bosch wrote: »

Technically Switzerland could still finish top on GD.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Is that you Kenny? using your mobile under the desk :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Technically Switzerland could still finish top on GD.

Is it not head to head if only two teams level?

Edit: no it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

He was giving an insight into Deschamps' mentality not agreeing with him. He complained about Nasri being left out before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

O'Neill's coming across as a cranky so and so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Angron wrote: »
    I remember back in Fifa 2002, the game ended the match as I was taking a penalty :pac:

pfft....I remember FIFA FOOTBALL SOCCER FOR THE SEGA MEGADRIVE (or whatever it was called), where I made a sub, but the ball didn't go out of play, then the match ended. Then my sub came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

greendom wrote: »

Yeah like why the hell did he blow it up when they were actually in a good attacking position? That last goal should have been counted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Van.Bosch wrote: »

Even if it is a draw, technically Switzerland could still catch them but yeah with France +6 goal difference and Switzerland -2, no chance. Even if one of the teams win tonight, no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

greendom wrote: »

Yeah like why the hell did he blow it up when they were actually in a good attacking position? That last goal should have been counted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Is flagmatic even a word?

edit: it certainly isn't, Didi's invention now joins Ossie's "footballistically" in the list of made up words.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Is flagmatic even a word?

edit: it certainly isn't, Didi's invention now joins Ossie's "footballistically" in the list of made up words.

It is a word:

Phlegmatic

resembling, consisting of, or producing the humor phlegm(see phlegm)

having or showing a slow and stolid temperament

He was giving an insight into Deschamps' mentality not agreeing with him. He complained about Nasri being left out before.

He said Nash was the better player, but I am quite sure he was very complimentary of Deschamps approach by comparing it with Jacques leaving out Ginola and Cantona in 1998 and points g out how the team is more important than anyone individual (hello, irony!).

Of course, being the untalented and disingenuous hack that he he, is completely neglected to mention that Cantona had retired at the end of that season (though surely would have accepted a call up given it was in France)... Oh, and that Jacquet instead in those positions had a borderline world class Youri Djorkaeff and some balding fella named Zidane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

It is a word:

Phlegmatic

resembling, consisting of, or producing the humor phlegm(see phlegm)

having or showing a slow and stolid temperament

I think the word "inconsistent" would have more than sufficed but the more you know I suppose.

I think the word "inconsistent" would have more than sufficed but the more you know I suppose.

He was a bit sesquipedalian about it alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

John Terry is a leader in the pitch. Whatever about his life, and I don't like the man, he is still the best defender in English football and is a great man to have on the field in the heat of battle.

eagle eye wrote: »
    John Terry is a leader in the pitch. Whatever about his life, and I don't like the man, he is still the best defender in English football and is a great man to have on the field in the heat of battle.
    He is their best defender, but that is not saying much because he is just not all that good anymore. He gave up on them when he retired over being held to task on his racist comments to his CB partners brother, and is not

If he had played in qualifiers that would be one thing, or if he had just not been picked for qualifiers. But he didn't, he chose to stop playing for England and there would be no better way to ruin squad morale than to turn around and say "thanks for getting us here guys, now f*** off home because John wants to play again." He already fractured an England dressing room only two years ago and is long past his best... recalling him would have been an absolutely dreadful idea and would not have helped with results.

Also, the second goal yesterday was way way way more on Gerrard than anyone else, my money is on Terry being caught out there too. And he definitely would not have the legs to recover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He is their best defender, but that is not saying much because he is just not all that good anymore. He gave up on them when he retired over being held to task on his racist comments to his CB partners brother, and is not

If he had played in qualifiers that would be one thing, or if he had just not been picked for qualifiers. But he didn't, he chose to stop playing for England and there would be no better way to ruin squad morale than to turn around and say "thanks for getting us here guys, now f*** off home because John wants to play again." He already fractured an England dressing room only two years ago and is long past his best... recalling him would have been an absolutely dreadful idea and would not have helped with results.

Also, the second goal yesterday was way way way more on Gerrard than anyone else, my money is on Terry being caught out there too. And he definitely would not have the legs to recover.
    He would have the rest of the defense organised for a start and he is still a World class CB.
    As for the other stuff, he retired because he knew he wasn't getting back in and the FA are responsible for that.
    Fact is you have to pick your best players to go to a World Cup unless there is a very good football reason not to. I don't think that there is any good football reason for Terry being excluded.

Btw he did start in the first World Cup qualifier. Its clear he retired on advice before the FA made their findings public. He was basically forced out by the FA which is all wrong.

Capello resigned over the FA stripping him of his Captaincy. I think when a great manager feels that strongly about something you have to understand just how important he is on a football field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Turtyturd wrote: »
    O'Neill's coming across as a cranky so and so.

Imagine that...

eagle eye wrote: »
    He would have the rest of the defense organised for a start and he is still a World class CB.
    With all due respect, you must have an incredibly loose definition of the term "world class". For me it means to be as good as anyone else in the world at your position. John Terry is no longer even close to the best in the Premiership.
    As for the other stuff, he retired because he knew he wasn't getting back in and the FA are responsible for that.
    Absolute nonsense. He became so used to being above reproof have that he once he actually was disciplined for something (even though Suarez got a far harsher penalty the same thing at almost the same time) he flipped out and quit.

He has a reputation for being a bully and using his sway to do so at club and national level. Remember it was Rio Ferdinand who was left out of Euro 12 because Terry had racially abused his brother. Think about that last sentence for a moment. And like all or most bullies, once Terry got some comeuppance he ran away.
    Fact is you have to pick your best players to go to a World Cup unless there is a very good football reason not to. I don't think that there is any good football reason for Terry being excluded.
    Dividing the dressing room is reason enough not to, and begging Terry to come back after he refused to play for them in the qualifiers would be an easy recipe to do just that. His demeanour could also have made this worse (there is no guarantee of course, but I doubt he would be the type to show much of any humility in the situation).

Btw he did start in the first World Cup qualifier. Its clear he retired on advice before the FA made their findings public. He was basically forced out by the FA which is all wrong.
    Capello resigned over the FA stripping him of his Captaincy. I think when a great manager feels that strongly about something you have to understand just how important he is on a football field.
    You cannot have your captain be found guilty of racism abuse in the middle of a huge anti racism campaign and fail to act on it, it is that simple. Terry could not face the backlash he would have got in a England jersey from fans and possibly even teammates and so he quit and retreated to Chelsea, where at the time he was possibly the most powerful person at the club below boardroom level.

As for Capello, he is still good but much like Trap the game has passed him by at this point (he looks young for his age but is 68!). He was hardly viewed too positively in England by the time of his departure either and was eager to get out before that whole fiasco over how the media act there (and I agreed with him on that front). His whole negative style of play led to England having an awful World Cup, caused in no small part by having an incredibly, even infamously, unhappy group of players with Terry as captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

This group is looking interesting.
    Unless I have my sums wrong, if Ecuador beat France 3 - 0 and Switzerland beat at Honduras 5 - 0, then France, Ecuador and Switzerland will all be on 6 points with a +3 goal difference. France beat Switzerland, Switzerland beat Ecuador, and Ecuador will have beaten France.....so who goes through??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

EDit wrote: »
    This group is looking interesting.
    Unless I have my sums wrong, if Ecuador beat France 3 - 0 and Switzerland beat at Honduras 5 - 0, then France, Ecuador and Switzerland will all be on 6 points with a +3 goal difference. France beat Switzerland, Switzerland beat Ecuador, and Ecuador will have beaten France.....so who goes through??? :)

The next criteria for qualification is Goal Scored.

In that unlikely scenario: :pac:
    Switzerland have 6 points with 9 Goals Scored and 6 Conceded (+3 GD)
    France have 6 points with 8 Goals Scored and 5 Conceded (+3 GD)
    Ecuador have 6 points with 6 Goals Scored and 3 Conceded (+3 GD)

So Switzerland would top the group and France would come second on the count of having scored 1 goal less that Switzerland.

If its tied after GD and Goal Scored, the next criteria is Head to Head Record.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I was surprised to see Cabaye playing as the deepest midfielder (I hadn't seen France for a while before this game), I didn't think Deschamps would be the type of manager to use lateral thinking like that. I think it's a good idea because Sissoko, Matuidi and Pogba, for all their other attributes, aren't good with the neat and tidy short passing, possession play. Cabaye might cost them defensively yet, but he really brought the best out of the rest of the midfield in this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The next criteria for qualification is Goal Scored.

In that unlikely scenario: :pac:
    Switzerland have 6 points with 9 Goals Scored and 6 Conceded (+3 GD)
    France have 6 points with 8 Goals Scored and 5 Conceded (+3 GD)
    Ecuador have 6 points with 6 Goals Scored and 3 Conceded (+3 GD)

So Switzerland would top the group and France would come second on the count of having scored 1 goal less that Switzerland.

If its tied after GD and Goal Scored, the next criteria is Head to Head Record.

It will happen with this World Cup. There will have to be a 3 way match with 3 footballs and no refs only the guys who stand beside the goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I thought Giroud really improved the morale of the team and lightened their mood. France could give anybody a hard go of it if they keep their spirits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

With all due respect, you must have an incredibly loose definition of the term "world class". For me it means to be as good as anyone else in the world at your position.

As for Capello, he is still good but much like Trap the game has passed him by at this point (he looks young for his age but is 68!).

I never thought of Terry the same way after the game against Germany at the last WC. He looked utterly outclassed on that occasion.

And Capello looks fantastic. Granted, the hair dye is doing its job but he still looks at least ten years younger than 68.

Advertisement