Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back on the water

• 20-06-2014 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

hi - not sure if this is the forum for this.

I used to sail dinghies when I was younger - 420s. I'd be interested in trying my hand at crewing on a cruiser. Has anyone any suggestions about how to do this? I've no gear and am based in Dublin.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Check the crew available/wanted threads here, check the crewfinders on the different yacht club sites

I started as a complete beginner last year, and have been sailing ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Is having no gear a problem?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ezra_ wrote: »
    Is having no gear a problem?

Generally on boats that take on brand new sailors/adults, they will have spare gloves and lifejackets.

You'll need runners, a hat, sunglasses, and tracksuit/warm jacket e.g. if you want to be any way comfortable.

I started out with that sort of gear, then ended up buying the regular gear anyway, but a couple of months after I started sailing, I was sailing 2-3 times a week on a cruiser, and went right through the winter as well, to this season

Most important thing is a. see if you like it, b. see if you are willing to commit the time to sail according to the boats schedule e.g. we sail Thurs/Sat every week at the moment with the exception of Cork week which we are doing in two weeks, we have a core crew who sail pretty much every time unless life intervenes, then some people who sail Saturday only, some who sail Thursday only.

And finally, it's important to listen to what you are told, if the boat is about to gybe, and you are in the way of the boom, you could end up knocked overboard unconscious (worst case scenario) so you need to listen and be ready to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You'll need gear of some sort - despite the current spell of blissful weather, crewing (for racing, I'm assuming that's what you're looking to get into?) is a wet business in Dublin Bay. Keep an eye out in Lidl/Aldi for cycling/walking gear, it's usually cheap enough and would do for a start. But if you're going to get into regular sailing, you're going to have to make an investment of some sort.

http://crewzone.webs.com/ was set up last year and is fairly successful in matching people with boats and vice versa. Have a look on there and see if anything takes your fancy - and maybe post an ad for yourself!

(ETA, have corrected the website address! It looks like it's attached to the National Yacht Club only, but it's intended for all the waterfront clubs in DL)

Advertisement