Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance question - possibly a bit of a complicated one

• 20-06-2014 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

After having my beloved great dane put to sleep in February I decided to get 2 new puppies. I miss Henry everyday but the puppies have helped me heal a little. It has been good for me to see dogs so full of life and energy, it has made me remember Henry at his happiest times.

The pups are 2 miniature dachshunds, 2 boys from the same litter.
    They have been absolutely perfect, growing steadily, eating well, toilet well, doing great with training and they have fitted in perfectly with our 2 german shepherds - they all get on like a house on fire, it's great.

Unfortunately they've both presented with the same problem which makes me think it's possibly hereditary.
    Last Friday night Loki, the bigger of the pups, started head bobbing. It lasted for about 15 minutes and he basically looked like a nodding dog from the dashboard of a car. It wasn't continuous for 15 minutes, it came in little spurts. He was 100% alert and responsive during the episode. He was playing with his brother and walking and running around, it was only when he stopped that the head bobbing started up again. Afterwards he seemed quite tired and went asleep.
    The same thing happened with Thor yesterday afternoon and then again with Loki this evening.

I am not very worried as otherwise they are totally fine, not a bother on them, but I am bringing them to the vet for the once over and to make sure it's nothing serious.

However, this leaves me in a sticky spot. Obviously my primary concern is their health but obviously I'm also thinking of the possible costs etc.

I availed of the free 6 week puppy insurance with Allianz which expires at midnight tonight. I renewed the policy last night which was my intention all along anyway but now I'm wondering if there is something serious wrong, will it be covered or classed as pre-existing for the new policy even though they were insured with Allianz through the free insurance prior to any problem showing up?
    Also, is me seeing what I perceive to be symptoms the date of knowledge or is it when a vet examines or diagnoses the problem?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If you haven't brought them to the vets yet and the policy was already taken out then it will be covered. It would only be pre-existing say if they were at the vets with this issue before the policy was taken out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I would also urge you to get in touch with the breeder regarding this issue as they will need to be aware of this.
    Were the parents health tested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

Hi op, when you say you renewed it last night was it online and you paid up before midnight, before the free weeks are up? If so it shouldnt be a problem and even if it had run out as long as you had paid your polucy before you go to vet it should be ok.
    Hopefully ur 2 dogs will be ok but I would agree with andreac about contacting the breeder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

andreac wrote: »
    I would also urge you to get in touch with the breeder regarding this issue as they will need to be aware of this.
    Were the parents health tested?

The parents were health tested.
    tazwaz wrote: »
    Hi op, when you say you renewed it last night was it online and you paid up before midnight, before the free weeks are up? If so it shouldnt be a problem and even if it had run out as long as you had paid your polucy before you go to vet it should be ok.
    Hopefully ur 2 dogs will be ok but I would agree with andreac about contacting the breeder.

I renewed last night and the policy expires tonight at midnight. No money taken as I am paying by direct debit and they don't take the first payment until thursday of next week.

I have contacted the breeder (who I am in regular contact with) and am just waiting to hear back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Let us know how you get on with the vet and the breeder
    Loki & Thor are great names
    Let us see a photograph!
    Daxis are fab - smooth or rough coats?
    I hope all works out well with your puppies
    Great that all is going to sell - how long have you had them - I cant imagine
    what the GSDs think of them :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Thankfully it has turned out to be something minor and easy to fix. The vet thinks it was low blood sugars. I made the error of not upping their food for a few weeks (I'm so used to big dogs, it has been a big change with small dogs) and they have been growing and their activity levels have increased a lot (spending more time with our GSDs and starting proper on lead walks) so that was a mistake on my part which has been fixed and I can already see a difference in the puppies. They have way more energy and they're certainly enjoying the higher food intake.
    The vet said low blood sugars is quite common in small dogs and is something to keep an eye on.
    So hopefully that's it sorted.
    The vet told me to monitor them for the week on more food and if they still have the same symptoms he'll run some tests.

aonb wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on with the vet and the breeder
    Loki & Thor are great names
    Let us see a photograph!
    Daxis are fab - smooth or rough coats?
    I hope all works out well with your puppies
    Great that all is going to sell - how long have you had them - I cant imagine
    what the GSDs think of them :)

Hi
    They're 2 smooth haired red dachshunds.
    The GSDs love them, particularly Duke, who is almost still a pup himself at less than 2 years old. He loves the energy they have as our other GSD, Cherie, is a rescued lady and can be quite introverted so it's good for Duke to have an outlet. They are so gentle with the puppies.
    The pups have also been great for Cherie, who used to have the occasional accident in the house but now no longer does for some reason.

I've attached a pic of them all squished on the GSDs' bed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

They look so tiny next to the GSD's. Beautiful dogs you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

When you take out insurance there is a two week waiting period on illnesses.I don't know if they would consider this has already been served as you got the free 6 weeks? I would check it out. I never bothered with the free 6 weeks so I don't know much about it. Does the 6 week insurance just cover accidents and/or illness?

Advertisement