Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Civilization: Beyond Earth

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Kirby wrote: »
    Yes. There is. Strategy games work off a system of choices and the repercussions of them. Go for early military? You will be safe but will suffer economically later. Go for early Economy? You will be rich but be vulnerable to early attacks. Go for researching high tech stuff? It will pay off later but you might not live that long. And so on. Even games with no combat or fighting work off this sort of mechanic.

You can research Ethics and Social Design and have a better army than somebody who has researched robotics and mechatronics. It makes zero sense.

If you want a badass army, you should be forced to sacrifice something else. And you aren't. You don't have to forgo production research and buildings in order to get there. It just.....happens. Its kind of derpy.

I disagree, you do have to make a sacrifice here to get Affinity, there's usually an economically superior option to another affinity point. Military techs in Civ are just picked up as you go up the tree, you can't avoid them for very long due to how many beakers you need for techs one or two steps ahead. In Civ if you're behind in military tech you're probably behind in general tech level too, the choice has always been between building military units or building buildings not particularly between tech choices because the tree is so narrow and you're picking the order a small group of techs are researched in not the overall tech focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Honestly speaking it seems that Alpha Centauri and Alien Crossfire still (sigh, will it ever change?) represent the pinnacle of this genre. Will not be spending my energy credits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

After 3 games I found myself not interested in playing another bout of this, I knew it's probably not giving it it's dues, but I'm just not gripped by it. I'll return in 6 months when it's all balanced a bit better and give it another whirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Cormac... wrote: »
    After 3 games I found myself not interested in playing another bout of this, I knew it's probably not giving it it's dues, but I'm just not gripped by it. I'll return in 6 months when it's all balanced a bit better and give it another whirl

I'm the same. Very disappointed overall :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Haven't finished a single game yet. Started (and about 800 turns taken) two, but am loosing interest fast.

Last night started another Civ 5 game. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Zulu wrote: »
    Haven't finished a single game yet. Started (and about 800 turns taken) two, but am loosing interest fast.

Last night started another Civ 5 game. :(

So did I (well, Sunday night).

I picked Spain and settled right next to the Great Barrier Reef.

It's such a massively different experience playing that to playing with the Mongols or the Shoshone.

You get nothing like that kind of variation in BE.

Gbear wrote: »
    So did I (well, Sunday night).

I picked Spain and settled right next to the Great Barrier Reef.

It's such a massively different experience playing that to playing with the Mongols or the Shoshone.

You get nothing like that kind of variation in BE.

I think that's it in a nutshell really. We're all used to being spoilt with so much side stuff in BNW that BE is just boring with very little to do or look forward to. I've played two games of it and won both on Mercury which was just zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Looks like Europe has just won the Science Victory :pac:

iYBYKeH.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Just noticed Alpha Centauri is on sale on GOG (€2.39)

Haven't had a copy of it in years. Tempted, but worried it might be better to keep my nostalgic memories

• Advertisement

MOH wrote: »
    Just noticed Alpha Centauri is on sale on GOG (€2.39)

Haven't had a copy of it in years. Tempted, but worried it might be better to keep my nostalgic memories

It will.

It will.

Only just noticed that I misread the post to which the above quoted was in reply. I thought it said basically 'worried that it might not reach the heights of my nostalgia' so I replied 'it will' meaning in plain terms 'buy it man buy it! Its great and will be just as engaging as it was then!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Only just noticed that I misread the post to which the above quoted was in reply. I thought it said basically 'worried that it might not reach the heights of my nostalgia' so I replied 'it will' meaning in plain terms 'buy it man buy it! Its great and will be just as engaging as it was then!'

Ha! I took it as the opposite - it will be better to keep the nostalgic memories.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've not played this since the first week i got it. It's good, but it just doesn't hold me like i'd hoped. Plus, with so many other great games out this month, i just don't have time for it. Maybe i'll go back after it's first expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I've now found the reviews of it to be rather off-putting and may just give this one a miss until it's got a few expansions packs and is on sale for pennies on Steam.

I've now found the reviews of it to be rather off-putting and may just give this one a miss until it's got a few expansions packs and is on sale for pennies on Steam.

I'd advise you to do this. Game is ok at best. Gets very boring quite quickly

At least it's got me playing Civi V BNW again :D

Anyone ever get the ASOIF mod working properly? Done all the instructions and still freezes :(

• Advertisement

ASOIF mod?

ASOIF mod?

A Song of Ice & Fire(Game of thrones) mod. Looks really good too and I love the books & series!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So glad I cancelled my order now.

So glad I cancelled my order now.

€15 with 6 months of patches and you'll be laughing i'd say. I put it down until it can go and figure out what the feck it is meant to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

this will be free to play over the weekend on steam

• Advertisement

Cormac... wrote: »
    . I put it down until it can go and figure out what the feck it is meant to be
    I worked out what it is: it's a crap game.

I worked out what it is: it's a crap game.

Haven't played it since it first came out. So so disappointing. Not even good mods can salvage it.

I've not touched it either. Shame, as i pumped a lot of time in Civ5.

Kiith wrote: »
    I've not touched it either. Shame, as i pumped a lot of time in Civ5.

I've been playing Civ5 since though again which has been good. Finding it tough to get a culture victory on Deity. I keep doing huge maps with random Civs and the Zulus & Actecs have spawned near me a few times.... :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Kunkka wrote: »
    I've been playing Civ5 since though again which has been good. Finding it tough to get a culture victory on Deity. I keep doing huge maps with random Civs and the Zulus & Actecs have spawned near me a few times.... :eek::eek:

Hah. Last time I played for OCC culture, it was the Aztecs and the Japanese. Managed to keep them at each other's throats long enough to get a defensive line up far enough away from my city. Not on Deity mind you.

Hah. Last time I played for OCC culture, it was the Aztecs and the Japanese. Managed to keep them at each other's throats long enough to get a defensive line up far enough away from my city. Not on Deity mind you.

My girlfriend heard me shout "****ing zulus" when I had discovered them for a 2nd restart in a row. She was confused and unimpressed.... Shaka is some bollocks.

I think the interaction with the planet in Beyond Earth needed to be much better. More regular battles with the aliens with better rewards is what springs to mind. The tech graph isn't really the most friendly either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Guys play Endless Legend,its what beyond earth should have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

explain? thought EL was a fantasy based tbs?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

explain? thought EL was a fantasy based tbs?

It is but its a far better 4x strategy game,in terms of gameplay and game quality its what BE should have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

might pick it up in the next sale so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Dcully wrote: »
    It is but its a far better 4x strategy game,in terms of gameplay and game quality its what BE should have been.

Oh wow, this looks pretty cool! I'll also be keeping an eye out for it in the sale.

And I have Endless Space unplayed and in my Steam library already for some reason.

Bye Bye Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

endless legend is a great game played the crap out of it, but its really not as in depth as BE or previous civ games but is really cool and fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

So is it worth picking this up if it goes on sale at half price or less?

I've not played it since the first week it came out. Just didn't hold me anywhere near as much as Civ5 did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Balmed Out wrote: »

Be worth it for a fiver or less.

I think they announced DLC for it recently. Maybe that'll make it good.

Ultimately, with the apparently piss-poor Starships, it's looking like they're turning into a company that makes shallow money-grabbing rubbish.

Don't know why it happened - things seemed to be going well with how they rounded out Civ 5 - on balance it's possibly the best game they've ever made (albeit it still misses a few cool elements from the previous game).

Hopefully it's just a cynical exercise to tide them over for when they release Civ 6 in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Civ 5 on release wasn't all that. The AI was terrible, at war and diplomacy amongst other things. Culture was next to useless. It was only with 2 expansions that Civ 5 became the stellar game it is now.

Sure, it hasn't started well, but maybe we should wait until there's an expansion or two before declaring that Beyond Earth be consigned to the "fiver or less" bargain bin for all eternity.

Unless you're dying to play it, I'd hold off until the expansion. If you do get it for 50% or more off though, it's still entertaining enough, and I quite enjoy it - just not near to the level of Brave New World.

Advertisement