Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent going up - new landlord

Options
  • 20-06-2014 9:45pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My apartment was bought recently (a few were in my block) so dealing with a new estate agent, on part iv tenancy at the moment. My rent is due in a few days so they turned up with a new standing order...apart from my rent had gone up 22%! Didn't even mention it!

I said no, obviously they have to give a month notice? Not several days? They are getting back to me now and my standing order is signed at 700 for now It is a single bed going from 700 to 850, do you think this is reasonable? D7. Guess I'll be on the lookout, but that prices have indeed gone up to this?

Previous estate agents fixed nothing, never even viewed the place in over 2 years, so the place is a bit run down, if they stick to 850 it would be best to move I guess. Although moving with cats is a pain in the ass!

How would they even handle the deposit also, sure they have no idea that there were holes in walls from last tenants tv, scratches in the couch from their dog and so on. God knows when it was painted last and so on.

If I decide to move, and have been there 2-3 years I believe I give 56 days notice, would that have to be at the new rate?

I knew I shouldn't have asked for the washing machine to be fixed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,901 ✭✭✭✭L1011

850 is probably the market rate now for that area - if you'd been in two years with no rise you've been lucky. However, if you do want to stay I'd still try negotiate that 850 downwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

If you think it is above market , move out and you will find out where the rents are currently, meaning you could be lucky, they may be less than currently but then they could go up or higher. Your call.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My apartment was bought recently (a few were in my block) so dealing with a new estate agent, on part iv tenancy at the moment. My rent is due in a few days so they turned up with a new standing order...apart from my rent had gone up 22%! Didn't even mention it!
    How would they even handle the deposit also, sure they have no idea that there were holes in walls from last tenants tv, scratches in the couch from their dog and so on. God knows when it was painted last and so on.
    As they seem to be clueless on tenancy rights, I'd say the chance of getting your deposit back is slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

Maybe they'll put it up to 875 now :)

In my last place I ended up moving out because of a rent increase.

The LL called and put my rent up from €700pm to €800pm. I said no and that I wanted a months notice in writing. He said ok forget that. I thought id won. The next week an letter arrived, all official like with the correct notice, telling me that my rent was going up to €875.

I decide to leave and went back to my parents while i looked. and now it seems that even 875 was a bargain. Im having an awful time finding somewhere now. But i must persevere i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OP fire a shot across their bow with a complaint to the regulatary body for estate agents about the lack of notice and their ignorance of the law on tenancies and tenants rights, They should know all this if they want to stay acting as estate agents!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Had a quick look and can easily get somewhere as nice/nicer in the area for 700-850. They put it down to 800 so far and are getting back to me after talking to the landlord but tbh with the poor repair it's been left in I may as well move if it goes up at all. Only problem is places accepting cats but I'm sure one will with assurances or money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Had a quick look and can easily get somewhere as nice/nicer in the area for 700-850. They put it down to 800 so far and are getting back to me after talking to the landlord but tbh with the poor repair it's been left in I may as well move if it goes up at all. Only problem is places accepting cats but I'm sure one will with assurances or money.

Would the new agents agree to do the place up a bit? Then you could agree a fair increase and not have the hassle of moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭davesangel

I'm a bit curious here: I was recently hit with a rent increase, with a few days notice via email. Is this illegal/against the law? Because I'm moving out due to this and the landlord is raging because he doesn't want to advertise for a new tenant (even though I never signed a fixed-term lease and have really looked after the property well - it was like a bombsite when I moved in).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Your landlord must give you at least 28 days notice (in writing) before increasing the rent.

What I dont get is what if I have to give 56 days notice to leave as Ive lived there more than 2 years, do i then have to pay the rest of my notice at this higher rate?!

Advertisement