Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lighting problem

Options
  • 20-06-2014 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    Myself and my housemates have an issue with the lights in our house. The other day when the bathroom light (and the bathroom fan) was turned on, it came on and almost right away went out. This was accompanied with the loud click that signified that the switch (connected to all the lights in the house) had been tripped in the fuse box. It had and the even with all the light switched flicked off it won't go back up. Called the landlord, he said he would get his guy on it. The guy he gets for everything arrived. Told me it was a bigger job than he had thought (crossed wires, possibly wires burnt out) and that he didn't have the tools with him. That was Wednesday. No word from him or the landlord since Thursday morning. Anyone got any ideas what might be wrong and how much it would cost a real electrician (the landlord's guy is handyman-put down our floors, put in a new sink etc) to fix what is wrong. Obviously it could be difficult to judge but if the landlord doesn't get off his ass I would like an idea what price we are looking at if we get it done ourselves (and then take it out of the rent).
    I don't need advice dealing with the landlord but just wondering if anyone out there has a rough idea of the problem and the potential cost to set it right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Did you try pushing down the trip switch down and pushing it back up? Some trips need this after tripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gaz7000

Tried that alright. No joy

Dead mcb will need changing so, what make are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Is the mcb fully resetting and staying up or constantly dropping down?

hallo dare wrote: »
    Is the mcb fully resetting?

I dont know, the op says it wont go back up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Where abouts are you located op?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gaz7000

Located in Dublin 9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Op can turn main switch at MCB board off, then try reset mcb, to indicate if MCB is faulty.

It might not be resetting due to fault being still on the circuit. Easy to tell by feel for the experienced anyway.

Its an MCB rather than bathroom rcbo is it? Seems to be suggesting other lights around house go off to, so probably an MCB.

Advertisement