Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessible Camping Spot

• 20-06-2014 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi guys!

I'm looking for a decent wild camping spot. The main problem I come across is accessibility as we don't have a car, so it would have to be roughly half an hour walk away from a bus/train/coach route, preferably close to Dublin. I know this is very limited, but I thought I'd just throw it out there in case anyone here knows of anywhere?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

There are plenty of spots up the Dublin mountains. A bit of time spent with a good paper map, google maps and boots on the ground will get some good locations. The problem is you live in a city with a million others and a lot of them have a similar idea. You might not be alone...

I went out last weekend to what I thought would surely be a remote location but still accessible and on public land. Passed two old camps with plenty of cans and rope lying around. Lots of people camping in the hills but wrecking it for everyone else.

You need to get out and do the footwork OP, there's plenty of public transport options and mountains to explore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Could say the same for Connemara if you ever make it down here. Galway-Clifden bus stops at Maam, and other stops along the way, and you're within half an hour of the Maamturks or the 12 Bens, depending on where you get off. Hike/camp along the Maamturks to Leenane and get the bus back, or do the horseshoe at the 12 Bens and make your way back to the road.

The key is, as Tabnabs said, sitting down with the OS map of the area first, figuring out where the bus runs, and taking it from there. You'd be surprised how close to the road some hikes run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

ditto in kerry get the tralee to dingle bus and you will see plenty of places that would fit your requirements.
    imagine it is the same if you got the bus from killarney to kenmare (once it goes over molls gap).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

You wouldn't need to go more than 5 miles past Dublin to find a good camping spot, up by the Hell Fire Club (around the back of the moountain), or Lord Massys estate there on the Military Road...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Maxthedm

Thanks for the replies, I'm sure I'll find something!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

You wouldn't need to go more than 5 miles past Dublin to find a good camping spot, up by the Hell Fire Club (around the back of the moountain), or Lord Massys estate there on the Military Road...

Wouldn't really recommend Massey's or the Hell Fire Club, far too much footfall/exposure (particularly from undesirables in the case of the Hell Fire Club).

You may as well be camping in Marley Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There's a Dublin Bus to Ballyknockan,

St Kevin's bus to Glendalough, taking in Roundwood

You can get to Annalong or Newcastle up in Down, to see the Mournes

Advertisement