Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maintence and collage and grant

Options
  • 20-06-2014 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

My young fella will be off to collage soon which is great. However I have heard he has opted for a collage in a different city to where he lives. He is bright enough to get it.

I'm already stretched as it is that anything unexpected like a doctor visit or car fixes (this weeks unforeseen bill :( ) puts me in negative for the week. How do I cover accommodation, food and traveling for him?

I've always paid maintenance but I have no access. Surely, in normal family situations this would have been discussed and a local collage picked which actually does provide the same course. Anyhow, that is a different rant.

Has anyone experience of the 3rd level grant in this situation? is it his mothers or his mothers + mine? As I noticed it is based on gross income

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭MollFlanders

Have a look at susi.ie, you might get an answer there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Ka_yl_ei_gh

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

As other posters have said, contact susi and that should answer your questions. As regards the means test- that depends on what your maintenance agreement is (legally), but it's usually a combination of both parents income.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mcmurph

Thanks for the response. susi states
    "the income of the parent you normally reside with will be taken into consideration in assessing your grant application."

So I assume it is the same, no idea what the mother earns

Advertisement