Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scammed 410 euro from adverts.ie after trying buy phone

Options
2»

Comments

I thought paypal only gave buyer protection for ebay?

Certainly didnt think they give buyer protection for adverts.ie, huge plus if they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

amdublin wrote: »
    Ps. I cannot bear those fb selling groups; all txt spk and bad spelling. Full of "full tym mamy to my angles" type of people.

Oh thats a lovely comment darling, thank you angels. Your the best seller ever xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

I thought paypal only gave buyer protection for ebay?

Certainly dont think they give buyer protection for adverts.ie!

Good point!

I thought if you use Paypal for any transaction your were under their cover:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

amdublin wrote: »
    Ps. I cannot bear those fb selling groups; all txt spk and bad spelling. Full of "full tym mamy to my angles" type of people.

You have got to be kidding. Text speak is not banned on Adverts either and I have patiently communicated with many illiterate people on Adverts who I do not judge . However if people are serious about doing a deal they will communicate in the best way possible. I have a positive rep going into the hundreds with not one neg as mainly a buyer on Adverts. I am since long gone to Facebook.
    On Facebook they are happy with the advertising revenue and promised it will be free forever unlike greedy Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

PLUG71 wrote: »
    Like Beersteakbirds said its free and no fee's.
    You can converse privately and still go through Paypal!

I think Adverts in many ways is a good selling platform but for me the introduction of seller fee's has spoilt it!

It hasn't really though as most people just withdraw an add now once the item has been sold. It would be a different story If it cost money to place the add like on donedeal . It's still basically free to place and sell an item via the standard ad method, nothing has changed in this regard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Wasting your time..same happened me and was told its tough luck..adverts couldnt give a flying ¥¥¥¥

No, he certainly is not.

Something similar happened to me and the lads in Kevin Street were brilliant in retrieving my funds.

It will take a bit of time, as they have to acquire the information from the bank through some red tape procedure with warrants etc. I'd be hopeful the OP will get their cash returned, but be prepared to wait a month or two for it. The bank details of the scammer are what's important here - hopefully it wasn't one solely set up for this purpose. Wouldn't think so, as the bank would probably be onto it in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The scammer could be scamming other victims so I recommend that the OP reports the matter to the Gardai.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Why do these stories always seem to revolve around iphones?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FrozenYoghurts

Just letting everyone know I sent the scammer a message through adverts. I told him I'll do everything in my power to get the money back and that I'll even go to the small claims court. he replied saying he got caught up in some stuff and thats why he didnt reply, and he's going to go to the bank and do a transfer. Thanks for all of your advice guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Would you put €400 in cash into an envelope and post it to someone? No

So why do people think it is ok to stick the same money into a strangers bank account when there is as much recourse as if you sent it through the post?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Just letting everyone know I sent the scammer a message through adverts. I told him I'll do everything in my power to get the money back and that I'll even go to the small claims court. he replied saying he got caught up in some stuff and thats why he didnt reply, and he's going to go to the bank and do a transfer. Thanks for all of your advice guys.

And this all took place over a month ago and you think he's going to pay now.:rolleyes: I suppose you still haven't brought it to the attention of Adverts.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

I'd like to say another thing. Use paypal but do not pay by gift.

I too was scammed and I was asked to sent the payment as a "gift" and because of this I hadn't a leg to stand on. A very painful lesson to learn. I was scammed out of €150.

The gardai were useless telling me it was only €150. Like I should let them away with it.

Paypal wouldn't reverse the charges as it was a "gift". And my credit card company wouldn't do a charge back either as I authorised this "gift".

I was screwed.

Came across a website were I was able send a fake email for about €3 from the scammer to me admitting to scamming me. I was able to send it off to the credit card company and they got the ball rolling then with the charge back. What he did was way worse!

Anyway always use paypal and use the option to pay for goods and services. That way you get your money back.

Your admitting defrauding your credit card company by sending fake emails. Not a very wise thing to admit to online.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

foggy_lad wrote: »
    So why do people think it is ok to stick the same money into a strangers bank account when there is as much recourse as if you sent it through the post?
    I would guess that there is more recourse with the bank transfer, if the gardai or bank are bothered and/or are legally allowed act on it.

If you went to the gardai and said you posted it I would expect less sympathy or investigation -as it could have been stolen in the postal system, so no way to know if the person even got it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If he's not a business small claims court will do nothing; it's not for Consumer to Consumer sales.

As for bank transfer; the bank can only reverse it if it gets approval by the account holder or a court ordering them to basically. There is no way they can simply decide it's fraud and reverse the money out again because someone claims they got scammed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Yes. Because clearly it's impossible to track down who a person is online, especially if they admit to a crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Advertisement