Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backlink exchange

• 21-06-2014 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I am a business owner not yet a full year trading. When I have some spare time I like to build backlinks which I find difficult to get.
    While I know link swapping or link exchange is not good, I was thinking that say if ten websites got together in a circle and each got one link and gave one link then it would look like normal link building with no swapping.
    What are people's opinion on this, bear in mind I am a total amateur and want holes picked in the idea b

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

Link wheels have been around a long time but as Google now takes into account the "quality" of a link they can be a lot of effort for not a lot of gain.

Although back links are good for the "authority" of a website, in terms of ranking they come well behind many other factors.
    If you build a properly constructed site, with good content, correct use of tags, optimised for your keywords, images optimised for size, mimify scripts etc for speed, your site should rank.
    Make sure you make use of all the social media sites, have your own (branded) pages and post articles regularly with links back to your site.
    If you do this your site will acquire back links naturally from people that think your site is worth linking to.

If you are in a very competitive field and want to create a link wheel do your own creating mini sites or pages on other platforms Squidoo etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Link wheels while they might work if done well, would be way down (or off the bottom of, imo) the list of SEO to dos.

If your site is what I think it is, I'd advise you to look at using a lot more SM and other channels and integrate them as appropriate. Then there's also a good bit of room for improving your site's content and UI/UX.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Leaksireland

tricky D wrote: »
    Link wheels while they might work if done well, would be way down (or off the bottom of, imo) the list of SEO to dos.

If your site is what I think it is, I'd advise you to look at using a lot more SM and other channels and integrate them as appropriate. Then there's also a good bit of room for improving your site's content and UI/UX.

In other words the time spent getting them links would be for very little gain.
    I will concentrate on your suggestions but I haven't a clue what you are talking about
    Can u tell me what SM and UI/UX is?
    Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Social Media
    User Interface/User Experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

I'd agree - links are times consumers and sometimes lead to nothing. You should spend a little time on your site and clear up a few issues.

Ex:' you have three pages that are exactly the same - word for word - bar a few words about the location - how that's trying to game the system IMO and you should have a look at that.

Bit of thought on the page titles - esp the blog articles.

Seriously, get rid of the 'credits' page - what message does it send out to an algorithm with some of the links on that page (Executive Coaching Amsterdam????).

Let the company that designed the site do their own marketing - but not on your site

That gives you something to take you mind off the links!

C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Leaksireland

IRE60 wrote: »
    I'd agree - links are times consumers and sometimes lead to nothing. You should spend a little time on your site and clear up a few issues.

Ex:' you have three pages that are exactly the same - word for word - bar a few words about the location - how that's trying to game the system IMO and you should have a look at that.

Bit of thought on the page titles - esp the blog articles.

Seriously, get rid of the 'credits' page - what message does it send out to an algorithm with some of the links on that page (Executive Coaching Amsterdam????).

Let the company that designed the site do their own marketing - but not on your site

That gives you something to take you mind off the links!

C

Thanks for the feedback. I am getting that it is about creating good original content that a consumer wants to see and not what google wants to see that will improve the site longterm and that will lead google to value it more.

Regarding the links at the bottom, i would not get rid of them as it was a friend of my brother who designed and built the site. He said i can pay him when i start to turn a profit.
    Only for him i could be in serious financial debt or bust, so even if the leaks are hurting me a bit, id rather leave them up.

Another guy here mentioned that 3 of the pages are exactly the same so i realise that i need to get creative and change their content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

Thats fair enough, but i was referring to the page of links rathar than the link at the bottom. Either way if its payback then its payback!

One thing I'd be hammering home is water charges and how a company/body should audit before the introduction to ensure that there is no water waste outside their control.

I see you're doing adwords well. keep at that until you get up the rankings a bit. Thinks of how a punter would begin a search - they have a leak they suspect and need to find out how to stem the flow: water leak, water leaks, find a leak, leak detection, water waste..etc ...etc.

then try and weave this into the site - dont shoe horn it in, do it naturally.

Advertisement