Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog acting as if he saw a ghost!!

• 21-06-2014 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

So just a while ago, our puppy was trying to get up on the couch where my partner was sitting, then all of a sudden he ran backwards squeeling as if he had been pushed or hurt.. but neither of us had touched him. He then stared at us continuing to squeal and ran over to where I was sitting running over bags that were on the ground. We thought this was extreamly odd.

We picked him up wondering what had happened, and he was VERY clingy towards my partner . Our puppy will never sit still in one spot but he was tonight & wouldn't move & has not since..

( We put him on the ground to see what he would do but he just ran to his crate!)

He wouldn't even come to me would only cuddle with himself.

We are not sure what happened, but it took us a back a bit! Any idea, what could have happened? Any similar experience?
    :confused::confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It sounds like he might have got an unexpected jab of pain, whether that's because he twisted or pulled a muscle, or because he has an as-yet undiagnosed medical problem (hips? Knees? Spine? Anal glands?)
    For example, there are a couple of hip conditions that often show no symptoms until the dog tries to jump up or down onto things.
    What breed or cross of pup is he? And what age?

PS just jogged my memory there... He's a collie! If he's not back to himself by morning, a check up with the vet might be in order, hopefully it was just a moment in time where he hurt himself and is reacting like this because he got a fright... I think he's a sensitive little soul at the best of times, is he?
    Hope he's okay :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

DBB wrote: »
    It sounds like he might have got an unexpected jab of pain, whether that's because he twisted or pulled a muscle, or because he has an as-yet undiagnosed medical problem (hips? Knees? Spine? Anal glands?)
    For example, there are a couple of hip conditions that often show no symptoms until the dog tries to jump up or down onto things.
    What breed or cross of pup is he? And what age?

PS just jogged my memory there... He's a collie! If he's not back to himself by morning, a check up with the vet might be in order, hopefully it was just a moment in time where he hurt himself and is reacting like this because he got a fright... I think he's a sensitive little soul at the best of times, is he?
    Hope he's okay :-)

That makes a lot of sense actually. He must have landed a bit awkwardly on his legs or something. He is about 4 months old and is a Collie cross. We adopted him so we only know as much about his background as we are told. But from what we saw he had healthy siblings. The vet checked his hips about a month and a half ago and said they all seemed perfect but he will check again when at his 6 month vet appt.

We will have to keep an eye on him in the mean time.

Advertisement