Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoos & Shaving

Options
  • 21-06-2014 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

So the only tattoo I have is on my leg which is something that is normally shaved anyway...

But if you get one on your side/ribs do they shave that too? I (and I guess other people?) have tiny downy hairs there (mine are dark though, curse my brunette-ism) so will they shave that?

I'm only asking because if they do I don't want it to grow back to appear any darker than it already is. :o

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Yes, they will probably shave it. And it's a myth that hair grows back darker/thicker after shaving ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

jenizzle wrote: »
    Yes, they will probably shave it. And it's a myth that hair grows back darker/thicker after shaving ;)

I know they don't actually grow thicker but it appears that way and that's why the myth exists, it's enough to make me shy away :o Also, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭murfinho

You could always wax the area before hand! They will usually shave the area anyway though, even if pre-done in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭celtenal

Yeah,I think they have to shave the area about to be tattooed so as they can get the transfer to stick on first.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I know they don't actually grow thicker but it appears that way and that's why the myth exists, it's enough to make me shy away :o Also, thank you!

No, the myth exists due to puberty.

People start shaving at an age in puberty when the hair is starting to get thicker anyway. So they assume it's because they're shaving it - shaving has nothing to do with it.

So feel free to shave away without any worries ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Franw246

I have tattoos on my ribs and upper thigh which I didnt have to shave beforehand nor did the artist shave.. I suppose it depends on the person and type of hair.. Id be fairly light in colour anyways..

o1s1n wrote: »
    No, the myth exists due to puberty.

People start shaving at an age in puberty when the hair is starting to get thicker anyway. So they assume it's because they're shaving it - shaving has nothing to do with it.

So feel free to shave away without any worries ;)

No, it's because it appears changed but actually is not changed at all.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/adult-health/expert-answers/hair-removal/faq-20058427
    http://www.webmd.com/beauty/hair-removal/shaving_your_legs_makes_your_hair_darker,_right
    http://lifehacker.com/5873922/10-stubborn-body-myths-that-just-wont-die-debunked-by-science

I've looked into this quite a bit :D:P
    Shaved hair lacks the finer taper seen at the ends of unshaven hair, giving an impression of coarseness. Similarly, the new hair has not yet been lightened by the sun or other chemical exposures, resulting in an appearance that seems darker than existing hair.
    Basically, shaved hair feels coarse and that leads you to believe it's thicker. In reality you're just fooling yourself and your hair remains the same.

So while I know this... I'll still feel like a rotten yoke if I get it shaved :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

One shave isn't going to make blonde, downy hair look dark.

I've got two tattoos on my inner forearms. I have the standard extremely light, fine, blonde hair on my arms, which they shaved. Still have light, fine, blonde hair, same as before.

No need to worry, honestly :)

One shave isn't going to make blonde, downy hair look dark.

I've got two tattoos on my inner forearms. I have the standard extremely light, fine, blonde hair on my arms, which they shaved. Still have light, fine, blonde hair, same as before.

No need to worry, honestly :)

I really hope you're right. Mine's downy but its dark, it's already horrible enough in my eyes!

I really want to get one on my side though I may just go ahead with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I really hope you're right. Mine's downy but its dark, it's already horrible enough in my eyes!

I really want to get one on my side though I may just go ahead with it :)

One shave won't make a difference, especially if it's dark already. Don't be worrying :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

If shaving made hair grow back thicker I'd have the razor on my head daily.

Advertisement