Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for an apartment at the moment, but have a small problem with references

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Dredd_J wrote: »
    Internet stalking is rife :)
    As you can see from the previous post.
    Be careful out there.

Nah.. I just don't like when people throw out stuff with an obvious agenda that's all and I remembered that comment from a previous recent discussion as it's a common theme with the poster in question.

I've never disputed that there aren't problem and delinquent tenants, but the all-too-common inference/assumption that this applies to most if not all tenants is what I have a problem with myself, especially when the evidence posted on this very forum suggests that cowboy landlords are just as much a problem and it's usually their tenant who ends up dealing with the consequences.

Anyway, as we're way off topic "we'll leave it there" as Bill says.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    You're being a tad disingenuous really.
    Not at all. I'm free as a LL to ask prospective tenants for previous references. They are free to ask me for previous tenant references. I won't rent to anyone who won't provide what I ask and tenants (presumably) won't rent from me when I refuse to provide such references.
    You want all of the reward with none of the risk and are pushing the idea of bad tenants being the norm, and a different market/culture/regulatory structure in Germany, to validate your opinion in regards to the Irish market.

Why are you even involved in the market if it's such a risk?
    To make a profit of course. Business comes with risk but if I open a SPAR shop and Johnny comes in and helps himself to a couple of bottles of vodka, then the state will intervene, will arrest him, charge him and prosecute him for larceny. If Johnny rents a property from me and just stops paying rent (stealing the service I provide for a fee) then the state will not do anything. I will have to take him to court to get him out. It will take well over a year if Johnny wants.

You believe there's lots of risk associated with being a tenant and that most LLs are out to steal deposits and so on, so why are you a tenant? See how silly that question is?

Btw, I never said bad tenants are the norm and don't believe that they are. The point (which in fairness you seem to not get) is that JUST ONE bad tenant can ruin a LL financially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I disagree that a landlord has more to lose - ultimately the landlord sets the rent,
    Incorrect, the market sets the rent - what a willing tenant will give and a willing landlord will accept.
    can evict a tenant for no reason if they chose under the guise of needing the property back leaving the tenant homeless,
    A LL may only evict under a fixed term lease if the tenant is in breach of the lease agreement. A tenant has the option of vacating by assigning the lease - a landlord has no such option of exiting a fixed term lease. If there is a Part 4 tenancy in existence it is the tenant who has requested it and must suffer the less secure form of renting.
    can withhold some or all of a deposit for any reason,
    NOT for any reason, only those set out in the RTA 2004, in which the greatest percentage of claims are for "arrears of rent"
    and can drag their heels or ignore any issues that arise completely,
    This is mainly due to tenants not advising the landlord/agent in the correct manner (in writing) and setting a time frame for the work to be carried out.
    or can leave the tenant dealing with the consequences of their landlord's bankruptcy or non-payment of management fees.
    This, I agree with in that there seems to be little legal framework in this regard and anything is in favour of the receiver in the case of bankruptcy/repossession and lack of any simple collection of management fees. However, many owners in estates/complexes suffer where other owners (and not necessarily landlords) fail to pay their fees/charges on time or at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

OP, are you not in a position to buy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

If he had obeyed the terms of the lease he would be in no difficulty. It's a legal agreement, He failed to honour it and really can't complain when caught out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

OP, tis your own fault - you completely screwed the previous LL over. Not sure what you can do unless perhaps you offer to pay 2 months deposit instead of 1 but even at that it may not get you anywhere. And learn your lesson - you cannot decide to withhold rent!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The OP has recognised all that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

Ah lads. Read the thread before you post will you.
    Its like having 50 grannies in the one room when you burn yourself playing with the fireplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Here... It's about time someone spoke up....

It serves you right...

MouseTail wrote: »
    OP, are you not in a position to buy?

I am, I would be a cash buyer, but i think im going to hold out for another year or two to see if prices go down anymore before buying. If they dont i wont be buying.

• Advertisement

I am, I would be a cash buyer, but i think im going to hold out for another year or two to see if prices go down anymore before buying. If they dont i wont be buying.

Personally, think thats a mistake. Be done with the hassle of renting / living with parents and buy now. Predict a +5% rise this year, thats just personal opinion of course.

MouseTail wrote: »
    Personally, think thats a mistake. Be done with the hassle of renting / living with parents and buy now. Predict a +5% rise this year, thats just personal opinion of course.

I feel deep down that you are right. Its just when the houses I was looking at and thought were two expensive the last 3 years or so are now going for €150k or more more than I was looking at them at then, its very hard to press the button now.

But im well aware that in another couple of years i could be looking at the price i pay now as a bargain too.

A friend who works in a bank dealing with Nama sales is going to be showing me a 4 bed semi in Stillorgan next week that im very interested in. He can arrange for me to buy it for the asking price and not have it shown to anyone else, so at least there will be no bidding competition, but im still not sure. tbh im 80 - 20 in favour of buying and having had a quick sly look around the house a few weeks ago I do like it. If I was more sure that the prices were going to go up id buy it anyway. Its a very good price for NOW, but not for what it would have been a couple of years ago.

Procrastination will be my downfall.

Thats why i wont be even attempting to rent again for another couple of weeks anyway. I might just be buying instead.

Yep you, missed the bottom by not buying a couple of years ago, and imo, if you are waiting for those prices again, you will be 50 and still living at home or trying to pull a fast one on landlords by withholding last months rent. That sort of practice can be excused in young 20 somethings starting out and living week to week. But for a middle aged professional with a cash pile, its absolutely inexcusable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I'm afraid if you are looking for anything in the greater Dublin area you have missed the bus. The rest of the country outside the cities may have something

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

A friend who works in a bank dealing with Nama sales is going to be showing me a 4 bed semi in Stillorgan next week that im very interested in. He can arrange for me to buy it for the asking price and not have it shown to anyone else, so at least there will be no bidding competition, but im still not sure.

Is it just me, or does this just stink like a pile of s*** There are plenty of folk who are competing to buy 3/4 bed homes, why do you get special treatment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

45 years old, living with mum and dad, screwed over multiple LL's, didn't understand this would have repercussions, cash buyer, loads of savings, waiting for prices to DROP in Dublin, has a friend in bank who will "sell" him a NAMA property, is your surname Mitty by any chance?

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    I'm afraid if you are looking for anything in the greater Dublin area you have missed the bus. The rest of the country outside the cities may have something

Im a bit peeved that I missed the bottom alright.
    My master plan to retire at 45 is in jeopardy, 50 will be more like it tbh.
    Unless we retire to spain where my partner is from. Its a lovely place, we have a house there and will retire there eventually, but wanted to stay in Ireland for another 8 years until both my sons are finished with school and college. The only reason I am even considering buying is that if rents keep going up at the rate they are now they will be some price by then though.
    At least if i buy a house here, which i was thinking of doing as an investment anyway, we would be protected against rent rises etc and then that could be added back to the retirement pot. The fear is another crash though, and its a big fear.

And to the poster who said i screwed my landlord. I did not. My sole reason for using the deposit as last months rent was to protect myself in case i got screwed. There was no damage any time ever. None of us did get screwed anyway. There is a lot of hate in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You could be up front with any potential new landlord about what previously happened, and offer two months rent as deposit.

astrofool wrote: »
    You could be up front with any potential new landlord about what previously happened, and offer two months rent as deposit.

Most of them are asking for teo months rent as a deposit anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You could call up your old landlord, apologise profusely for what you did and tell him that his reference is keeping you from getting another place. Tell him you ****ed up, say that you/a friend/family member got burned by an old landlord and were scared you wouldn't have the deposit for a new place if you paid the last months rent. Ask if he incurred any costs at all that he would have otherwise deducted from the deposit, and offer to pay those costs now if he'll tell anyone else who calls that you did use the deposit for rent, but with his consent.

• Advertisement

I got it sorted.
    Now to get somewhere quick because the parents will want their house back when they get home in a month.

Ive got a couple of fake referees which will do for now.
    I think im going to keep renting for another year or two and see how prices go.
    If they go down it might mke sense to buy. If they go up i dont really need to buy. Renting will suit me just fine while I am in IReland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

This is why there are so many issues with landlords and tenants in this country. You've come on here admitting to breaking the law (witholding rent) and now you're flaunting the fact that you're acquiring a tenancy by deceitful means.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement