Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 year old has stopped sucking her thumb, cries when eating

Options
  • 21-06-2014 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

My one year old daughter normally eats fine and always sleeps through the night. She's got 8 teeth so far, and while teething has been fun, it's never really stopped her eating.

She got a heat rash at tue start of the week and then the 12 month injections on Wed. However, since Tuesday night she's been very out of sorts. She wakes through the night and needs to be comforted, she struggles to eat and isn't sucking her thumb at all, whereas she normally self soothes a lot.

We took her to the Doctor with the rash and slight temp she had, and he looked at her throat and saw nothing. But after another morning of her crying if I even try to feed her porridge, I can't help but thinking there's some reason why her mouth is sore, so she doesn't want anything in it, including her thumb. The pain, and lack of self soothing with her thumb then leads to broken sleep (all makes sense in my head!).

So, what can I do? Do I try to have a look around her mouth? It's Saturday now, so no Doctor. Would a Pharmacist have a look? Anyone else experience this?

Thanks...

J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭mapaca

Poor little thing! It sounds like teething pain alright, have you tried all the usual remedies and are they helping at all? If not, might be worth speaking to a pharmacist today to see what they think.

Also try feeding her yogurt, fruit puree, anything cool and soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

Thanks for your reply. We actually just saw a white mark on the tip of her tongue, looks like a mouth ulcer or something like that. We can get something in the Chemist now, feels so much better to actually see something, especially something that match the symptons we were seeing...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

Pharmacist reckons it's actually oral thrush, so we now have a gel to use and hopefully that'll help her...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭SaceyFlynn13

jasonb wrote: »
    Pharmacist reckons it's actually oral thrush, so we now have a gel to use and hopefully that'll help her...

J.

Just saw your tread and was going to suggest that it could of being thrush make sure you use the gel as it could get worse and go onto her pallet lucky you found it early :) hope she gets better soon

Advertisement