Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus IS220

Options
  • 21-06-2014 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm contemplating buying a Lexus IS220D 2006 - 2008.

Wondering as to experiences and thoughts and maybe what to watch out for?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,297 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Headgaskets on those 2.2 diesel engines give trouble.

The car itself is rather cramped inside I would drive one alongside its rivals to see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My advise is test drive one. The engine is very unrefined and not that reliable and gearing is terrible making the car very frustrating to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

There is also a cheap feeling about the interior which is something you couldn't say about the Lexus of old

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    There is also a cheap feeling about the interior which is something you couldn't say about the Lexus of old

I've a 250 executive and the interior is good. I'm curious as to which Lexus you're comparing it to because it's a massive improvement over the 1st gen IS. It's pretty much identical in to the the LS of the same Era. The 3rd Gen IS is probably their best yet. The current GS is excellent as that's when as they stopped raiding the Toyota parts bin. Still, has the rotten mouse yoke though. Had a poverty spec ct for a few days and that was awful.

love the 250,but wouldn't touch a 220 with a barge pole. It is a rotten car for young families though.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭vinnyryan

I've a 250 executive and the interior is good. I'm curious as to which Lexus you're comparing it to because it's a massive improvement over the 1st gen IS. It's pretty much identical in to the the LS of the same Era. The 3rd Gen IS is probably their best yet. The current GS is excellent as that's when as they stopped raiding the Toyota parts bin. Still, has the rotten mouse yoke though. Had a poverty spec ct for a few days and that was awful.

love the 250,but wouldn't touch a 220 with a barge pole. It is a rotten car for young families though.

Would touch the 220? Why not? Space inside. Not prepared to pay above the 220 on tax and don't want to go as far as an 08.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A diesel Honda Accord would be a better alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

vinnyryan wrote: »
    Would touch the 220? Why not? Space inside. Not prepared to pay above the 220 on tax and don't want to go as far as an 08.

The bizarre gearing. That engine makes it the only Lexus that I'd beware off in terms of reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The bizarre gearing. That engine makes it the only Lexus that I'd beware off in terms of reliability.

On the Head Gasket - it seems a REAL and definite issue - and not something overhyped by the net.

Worse - due to design/movement/related issue - you can't just change the gasket - you need to replace the engine.

Toyota owners club is well worth a look to research the issue - yes its a Lexus - but the same engine was used in Rav 4s, Avensises - and there was a version of the Auris that had it too.

Id avoid the 220d.

If one REALLY liked the IS as a car - then its worth taking the hit on the tax for the 250 petrol for reliability alone.

Probably a much nicer drive - as pointed out by others the gearing is silly on the IS 220d.

Advertisement