Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

raspberry Pi into wifi radio

Options
  • 21-06-2014 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have a raspberry Pi and a 1940s PYE radio I want to integrate the two to turn it into a wifi radio that is controlled by a android phone any ideas????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I have a raspberry Pi and a 1940s PYE radio I want to integrate the two to turn it into a wifi radio that is controlled by a android phone any ideas????

I'm working on something like this, not for home but for in the car instead :) Using 3G.

I didn't find anything ready out of the box to install it but it's no too hard to build something (and for me that's part of the fun)

However if you want something out of the box, perhaps you could use openelec on the pi and an xbmc remote control app on the phone? But you'll lack a user interface on the radio itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

http://www.raspberrypi.org/radio-4-matic/

Be a nice present for someone now in US, Canada etc who misses RTE - get it to time-shift things

From the outside, it's a 1970s Roberts radio, playing BBC Radio 4. At 6pm, it provides the Six O'Clock News. Only the 6pm is Seattle-time, not London-time - it's streaming radio over the internets, tunnelled over SSH, then storing it (all eight-hours-plus) and playing it back at the appropriate timezone-adjusted moment.

It's a little surreal in action - waking up to the Today Programme in the morning, many thousands of miles west of the UK? Definitely!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Unless the radio is a wreck, it's vandalism. Also most 1940s & 1950s radio sets would be ergonomically unsuited.

A WiFi "Radio" (not a radio at all but a Media Browser) most of all needs a decent graphics panel. This is a size and shape unsuitable to replace perhaps a tuning scale.

Far better to design a suitable custom case with an vintage style rather than bastardising an irreplaceable piece of history.

1940s radios are particularly scarce / rare compared to 1930s or 1950s. But while I have a Raspberry Pi, I'd not waste even a common 1950s model of radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

That would be a barbarian act. Wanton vandalism. Fortunately it's collection only.

Anyway this is nothing to do about "hobby Radio" but "media centres & Computers". Wrong forum.

Why destroy a restorable radio to make a computer case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 brightsparks16

watty wrote: »
    Unless the radio is a wreck, it's vandalism. Also most 1940s & 1950s radio sets would be ergonomically unsuited.

A WiFi "Radio" (not a radio at all but a Media Browser) most of all needs a decent graphics panel. This is a size and shape unsuitable to replace perhaps a tuning scale.

Far better to design a suitable custom case with an vintage style rather than bastardising an irreplaceable piece of history.

1940s radios are particularly scarce / rare compared to 1930s or 1950s. But while I have a Raspberry Pi, I'd not waste even a common 1950s model of radio.

I agree with you fully. I have already replaced some parts+ replaced all the old wiring The radio is working fine . I just want to place the raspberry Pi inside the radio and use the speaker . thats why I wanted to control the raspberry Pi with my phone . I wouldn't dream of defacing any part of a PYE radio

Use the Gram socket. That's what I do to play laptop on my 1949 Pye.

I have an old VHF-FM radio. Listening to Satellite Radio stations via €2 CE marked FM TX, I added a 2.5mm jack plug and cable wired to internal 5V on Sat receiver so no batteries needed or modification to FM TX.

Or for an old AM only set you can use a simple modulator and 3 turn loop to couple to radio on MW. Not a transmitter as it's only local inductive coupler. If an AM set with no built in aerial you can use direct wired "dummy" aerial to its Aerial & Earth. An oscillator made with one transistor and 455kHZ ceramic filter from scrap AM radio can be tuned on collector with the scrap AM radio ferrite aerial and tuning cap to 910KHz or 1365kHz. The "Dummy" aerial is 10 K resistor in series with osc output and 2 x 1nF 1kV to aerial and earth for isolation.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ 10k _ _ _ _ _ 1nF

osc out ----/\/\/\/\
    ][
    Aerial in

Osc 0V
    ][
    Earth Radio

or if radio has ferrite rod or frame loop aerial put 3 to 5 turns on a back of large picture frame or 20 turns on back of A4 size frame connect to osc o/p and 0V. Then Ferrite Rod on osc isn't needed. Tune loop with scrap transistor Radio cap.

Advertisement